NFL Changes for 2009 season

bowld

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jaguars helmets that the color seems to shift from dark to light....Wondering if they are considering teal color helmets ? Color shifting with the color black would be not very noticable but a teal metellic flake paint would shift from dark teal to light teal depending on how the light strikes it. Somewhat like what the Seahawks wear.

RAIDERS THROWBACKS!!!

294675dz4cr5.jpg

As much as I really like that Raiders jersey, I can tell you, as a sportswriter, that those numbers are gonna be a b*tch to read from the pressbox. Light numbers on white jerseys are one of my biggest pet peeves. Same goes for dark numbers on dark jerseys.

I can't wait to see the Jaguars new stuff. So far it sounds good as long as they go somewhat conservative on the piping. I never liked the full jaguar logo that much, so no loss there for me. More teal, more white, and less black is undoubtedly good news.

RAIDERS THROWBACKS!!!

294675dz4cr5.jpg

As much as I really like that Raiders jersey, I can tell you, as a sportswriter, that those numbers are gonna be a b*tch to read from the pressbox. Light numbers on white jerseys are one of my biggest pet peeves. Same goes for dark numbers on dark jerseys.

If they actually make the black outline the correct thickness, which is way thicker than this picture, they would be easier to read.

The Patriots are (re)introducing throwbacks as their new thirds.

Yessssssss!

I actually don't dislike the silver like everyone here does, but that should be awesome. Great.

ImgDyncfms21977.jpg

My rant about red Pats jerseys aside, Pat the Patriot is really a terrible logo. Maybe if they gave him a Miami/San Fran-esque update.

But it is for the AFL's 50th anniversary, so I'll let it slide :D

I don't think I remember this, is it the whole British wore red so the Patriots shouldn't arguement? I kinda have that feeling too, but I love how those jerseys look (especially the striping going pretty much all the way around.) Maybe a blue version of this would be better to keep the Pats from wearing red. But Pat the Patriot needs at least a modernization before I would welcome it full-time to the helmet.

All it really needs is the red facemask. I can't even find a photo of when they wore them.

You mean like this?...

andre-tippett.jpg

Those are absolutely beautiful.

I moved to CT from NY a few years ago and one of the high schools here near Hartford has a school mascot called the "Red Coats". Which to me is the same thing. Why in New England would you be named that? It would be like having a high school mascot names the "Al Queda's" or something.

Wacky New England.

Yessssssss!

I actually don't dislike the silver like everyone here does, but that should be awesome. Great.

ImgDyncfms21977.jpg

My rant about red Pats jerseys aside, Pat the Patriot is really a terrible logo. Maybe if they gave him a Miami/San Fran-esque update.

I don't think I remember this, is it the whole British wore red so the Patriots shouldn't arguement? I kinda have that feeling too, but I love how those jerseys look (especially the striping going pretty much all the way around.) Maybe a blue version of this would be better to keep the Pats from wearing red. But Pat the Patriot needs at least a modernization before I would welcome it full-time to the helmet.

All it really needs is the red facemask. I can't even find a photo of when they wore them.

You mean like this?...

andre-tippett.jpg

I moved to CT from NY a few years ago and one of the high schools here near Hartford has a school mascot called the "Red Coats". Which to me is the same thing. Why in New England would you be named that? It would be like having a high school mascot names the "Al Queda's" or something.

Wacky New England.

You mean like the Ole Miss Rebels? News flash: The Civil War is over. It has been for about 144 years.

Yessssssss!

ImgDyncfms21977.jpg

You mean like this?...

andre-tippett.jpg

Wacky New England.

You mean like the Ole Miss Rebels? News flash: The Civil War is over. It has been for about 144 years.

What does that have to do with it?

He was referring to some team being named the Red Coats. I feel a team named the Rebels is essentially the same idea. There's also a high school in Racine, WI that has the name the Rebels, I guess I should have referred to that one.

Also, if so many people are up in arms over the Patriots wearing red, then why do the Yankees get a free pass on wearing Confederate grey for 81 games a year?

He was referring to some team being named the Red Coats. I feel a team named the Rebels is essentially the same idea. There's also a high school in Racine, WI that has the name the Rebels, I guess I should have referred to that one.

Also, if so many people are up in arms over the Patriots wearing red, then why do the Yankees get a free pass on wearing Confederate grey for 81 games a year?

There are a lot of teams all over the country named the Rebels. It's a history reference and can also be a generic reference (rebel doesn't HAVE to refer to the Confederacy, which can also be said about Patriots not having to refer to the American Revolution, but it's the reference they chose to be named for). You think all teams should have nicknames that are in reference to something current?

Royal Blue Helmet with no stripes? No thanks...

Silver/Nickle still involved? No thanks...

Quick....how many NFL teams have "stripe-less" helmets?

That would be 13. Only about 40% of the league.

A blue helmet, with current Bill logo, and no stripes, would look really good. The Bill logo is so big, you don't need stripes on that helmet, anyway.

Silver/Nickle would only be sparsely used, like Tampa Bay uses orange in their uniform. The main Bill colors, would be royal, red and white. Just like they almost always have been.

Throwback elements, like the old logo and pant striping, would be incorporated, into the new uniforms.

And, the Bills could still go mono, if they choose, with the all royal look (which would be unique to any other team in the league).

There are a lot of teams all over the country named the Rebels. It's a history reference and can also be a generic reference (rebel doesn't HAVE to refer to the Confederacy, which can also be said about Patriots not having to refer to the American Revolution, but it's the reference they chose to be named for). You think all teams should have nicknames that are in reference to something current?

I just happen to think that the Civil War was an ugly chapter in America's history, and that teams probably shouldn't be named after the side that was wrong. I guess I wasn't as eloquent in my point before.

RAIDERS THROWBACKS!!!

294675dz4cr5.jpg

As a former radio talk show host who spent many a night in the press box, I have to say this. There is just no pleasing you people. :D

I like the jersey but I am not a big fan of the helmet.

BB52Big.jpg

I hope the Jags dont screw up with there new uniforms. I love the unis they have now, one of the best sets in the NFL. I liked the full jaguar on the sleeve and its to bad there getting rid of it. I thought there white jersey was top 5 in the league for sure...

beLEAF

dennisbergan I have to say I can't agree with one thing you have ever said on this board reguarding Football uniforms . I guess that's what makes this place what it is.

Not one thing? :D

Yes, that is what makes this place interesting. What fun would it be, if everyone thought the same?

I just happen to think that the Civil War was an ugly chapter in America's history, and that teams probably shouldn't be named after the side that was wrong. I guess I wasn't as eloquent in my point before.

It's still American History. Not all of it was ugly, either. Slavery was abolished as a result. Plus, it wasn't whether either side was wrong, but that both had differing views and the country was divided by those beliefs. So yeah, the Confederacy did lose, but they weren't wrong, and I'm (at least in the historical sense since it was almost 120 years before I was born) a Union supporter.

RAIDERS THROWBACKS!!!

294675dz4cr5.jpg

If they actually make the black outline the correct thickness, which is way thicker than this picture, they would be easier to read.

"Way thicker"? Not so much. Can't post the pic here for whatever reason but check out the silver number jerseys in this pic. Note a big piece of #23's helmet decal is missing.

Lamonica pic

Love those jerseys and wish they'd go back to them but they'd need REALLY thick outlines.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Because 1) it's baseball tradition to wear grey on the road, regardless of your team's name and/or existing colour scheme. The Yankees are going to be the LAST team to change up baseball tradition.

2) The Yankees aren't named after the Union side during the Civil War. True, "Yankee" meant/means northerner or Union supporter in the context of the Civil War, but in a much broader sense the term "Yankee" just means "American."

There's nothing in the Yankees' logo set/identity package that makes specific reference to the Civil War. Their primary logo is just Uncle Sam's hat on a baseball bat in front of a baseball with a "Yankees" wordmark. It's generically American, fitting the broad definition of the word "Yankee" without a reference to the Union side of the Civil War.

Well McCall brought up a good point. History is tricky. In only a few cases are the sides of "good" and "evil" easily recognizable. The Civil War simply isn't one of those.

IMO it's closer to the "good"/"evil" divide then some other historical conflicts, but it's not as clear cut as most people think it is.

Furthermore "Rebels," like "Yankees," doesn't have to reference the Civil War. One could legitimately name a team the "Rebels" and reference the American Revolution in much the same way the NE Patriots did. Or it could reference a biker. Or any other generic image that ties into the name "Rebel."

True, Ole Miss was originally named in honour of the Confederacy, but they could easily change their identity without changing their name.

Oh, one last thing. If the unholy event happens and an NFL team does move to Toronto, I demand they name themselves the Red Coats. A Red Coats/Patriots game would be awesome.

Archived