NFL Changes for 2009 season

bowld

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plea to mod: delete every last post in this thread that isn't uni-related. This is not the place to debate politics or wars. "The Lounge" is open to all who wish to discuss such matters.

To Darkhaha, good job on finding those old Raiders' pics with the thicker outlines. Not sure they look that great honestly but they're certainly more visible! And doesn't the Raider helmet logo look awful with the white background? Glad they changed that.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Gothamite, I'll be the first to admit that it was the Anglos from the south forced the Spanish to allow slavery. I'm not saying that Texas is innocent, she isn't, but I'm saying that slaves in Texas were not publicly traded and paraded around as bad as they were in the old south, or even places like Kentucky and Missouri.

The Patriots red vs. blue argument is the worst thing about the CCSLC.

Oh, I dunno, I'd rank the continuing argument over whether the Brewers ball-glove logo is great/terrible above that.

And this whole Civil War debate was rather bad, too. And this comes from a Northerner who had a great-grandfather who fought for the South at Gettysburg, so I have a stake in both sides.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

The Patriots red vs. blue argument is the worst thing about the CCSLC.

Oh, I dunno, I'd rank the continuing argument over whether the Brewers ball-glove logo is great/terrible above that.

And this whole Civil War debate was rather bad, too. And this comes from a Northerner who had a great-grandfather who fought for the South at Gettysburg, so I have a stake in both sides.

Sometimes topics take a detour. In this case it seems to have gotten back on track. So no harm no foul.

God forbid we learn something :P

a change i'd like to see is the steelers ditching the shiny fabric on their pants for the matte look ala USC a couple of years back.

That and a return to the block numbers. The rounded, italic ones don't see as intimidating.

VmWIn6B.png

I don't see a problem with the Steelers' current number font. I thought the update they went with in 1997 was brilliantly executed. They gave their uniforms a modern twist without sacrificing any of the elements that made it a classic.

That said, the Steelers do need a change. Like it or not, sleeves are shrinking. I suggest the Steelers start looking at their 1967 set as inspiration for an update.

Pittsburgh67.gif

Here's a photo from 1964 in which the outline on the number was indeed much thicker:

1964_11_29_FraserJ.jpg

Those numbers are pretty clear. Wouldn't mind seeing the Raiders go back to that, and I would love to see the Saints return to their gold numbers/black outline version.

As a Saints fan, I respectfully disagree.

Here's a photo from 1964 in which the outline on the number was indeed much thicker:

1964_11_29_FraserJ.jpg

Those numbers are pretty clear. Wouldn't mind seeing the Raiders go back to that, and I would love to see the Saints return to their gold numbers/black outline version.

As a Saints fan, I respectfully disagree.

As a Saints fan, I totally agree with going back to the gold numbers on white. Great look.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

no the steelers need to keep the same look!! maybe simplify the sleeve stripe a tad, just to fit it better on all of the new cut jerseys....but they dont need any inspiration from any era.

btw that Jaguars concept looks incredible!! I like how so many people in the concept forum have tried something like that and it looks awful..... but that actually looks very cool.

temp.png

Gothamite, I'll be the first to admit that it was the Anglos from the south forced the Spanish to allow slavery. I'm not saying that Texas is innocent, she isn't, but I'm saying that slaves in Texas were not publicly traded and paraded around as bad as they were in the old south, or even places like Kentucky and Missouri.

I'd say that makes it worse. Texas so loved her slavery, yet wanted to pretend that it was all sanitized and civilized. At least the other states had the courage of their convictions.

As for the Steelers, I still can't stand the wimpy italic numbers. Plus they still don't match the helmet numbers, which was supposed to be the point of the pointless change. So you have the same discrepancy as before, only the uniform isn't as strong.

This is floating around on the Lions team message board:

3251978803_cc80d945ac_o_medium.jpg

That logo is pretty cool, but I'm not a fan of those uniforms.

Not bad...helmet should be left silver though.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I don't see a problem with the Steelers' current number font. I thought the update they went with in 1997 was brilliantly executed. They gave their uniforms a modern twist without sacrificing any of the elements that made it a classic.

That said, the Steelers do need a change. Like it or not, sleeves are shrinking. I suggest the Steelers start looking at their 1967 set as inspiration for an update.

Pittsburgh67.gif

No.

Pittsburgh67.gif

No.

I'll second that. Those goofy jerseys were known as the Batman jerseys, since the cheesy Batman TV show came out in the same year. Fans would sing the Batman theme whenever the Steelers went out on the field, and they usually lost too. Why bring back a uniform from a time when the team was a joke?

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

According to beat reporter Mike Reiss, the Patriots will wear their throwbacks twice in 2009.

Furthermore, it appears they will be worn during Weeks 3 & 6, according to Patriots Football Weekly's Paul Perillo.

Archived