NFL Changes for 2009 season

bowld

Perception: The Superdome is antiquated.

Reality: Yeah, but we've blown a buttload of money on it!

I really have no idea whether or not the Superdome can last another thirty years, but I've seen enough government spending in my short life to know that it doesn't mean anything is really different.

It's different in this case. I went to the first game there in 1975 and to many since, the last one being the 'return' MNF game against the Falcons, the first game in N.O. after Katrina. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the facility was. You have to remember it was heavily damaged inside and out by Katrina. By the time they're done it'll have been stripped to the bones and rebuilt. And I say all that being no fan of the Superdome. I always hoped they'd get funding for a new open-air stadium but that's not going to happen. So that's disappointing but this is definitely not the 'same old' Superdome.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really have no idea whether or not the Superdome can last another thirty years, but I've seen enough government spending in my short life to know that it doesn't mean anything is really different.

It's different in this case. I went to the first game there in 1975 and to many since, the last one being the 'return' MNF game against the Falcons, the first game in N.O. after Katrina. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the facility was. You have to remember it was heavily damaged inside and out by Katrina. By the time they're done it'll have been stripped to the bones and rebuilt. And I say all that being no fan of the Superdome. I always hoped they'd get funding for a new open-air stadium but that's not going to happen. So that's disappointing but this is definitely not the 'same old' Superdome.

Just sayin', couldn't they have spent that money on, say, helping relocate displaced citizens and helping rebuild damaged neighbourhoods? From the sound of things it seems like they dumped A LOT of money into repairing and updating the Superdome that could have been better used by the city for other, more important repair projects.

I'm glad the city got its teams back and all, but it's just something that keeps popping up in my head every time someone mentions the Superdome and its post-Katrina work.

Aren't the Chiefs supposed to get new Uniforms? Along with the Saints, Jaguars and Lions.

The Chiefs need to. Their uniform hasn't changed since they came into the league in 1960, other than changing the logo in 1963 and the facemask in 1974. This franchise hasn't won squat since 1969, so maybe they should consider it.

I wouldn't change anything about the Chiefs, except maybe add a yellow outline to the helmet, or a yellow stripe or something. Some yellow on the helmet.

You can burn me at the stake if you want, but I think the Chiefs would look sick with some black accents here and there.

So, in this case, is sick good or bad? Cuz I'm getting sick just thinking about it.

Sick is good in this case.

You can burn me at the stake if you want, but I think the Chiefs would look sick with some black accents here and there.
BURN HIM!!!!
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So, in this case, is sick good or bad? Cuz I'm getting sick just thinking about it.

Sick is good in this case.

I agree. It makes no sense to have the black on the helmet, but nowhere else on the uniform. I'd add a little yellow to the arrowhead logo on the helmet, and then but just a small amount of black on the jerseys (either number trim or cuffs) and add thin black stripes to the pants. It also wouldn't hurt to either add the arrowhead logo to the jersey, either under the collar or like the Steelers and Jets do - that would also be a way to get some black into the mix.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In all honestly, the Raiders are mainly still popular here because they've been accepted by the gang culture, which tends to trickle down.

The Cholo Raiders fans, just like the Cholo Dodger fans.

all California sports teams have "cholo" fans

I'd say the Raiders and Dodgers have the highest prevalence of them though.

Followed by the Dallas Cowboys.

The black is just the thin outline of the logo as far as I am concerned black is not a color of the the Chiefs and I don't care what the NFL Official Style Guide says!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah! Screw the official designation! Facts mean nothing next to fan sentiment!

Just sayin', couldn't they have spent that money on, say, helping relocate displaced citizens and helping rebuild damaged neighbourhoods? From the sound of things it seems like they dumped A LOT of money into repairing and updating the Superdome that could have been better used by the city for other, more important repair projects.

I'm glad the city got its teams back and all, but it's just something that keeps popping up in my head every time someone mentions the Superdome and its post-Katrina work.

That's an entirely different topic. I don't pretend to be an expert on the rebuilding effort but lack of money doesn't seem to be the problem. It's more about establishing priorities, sorting out who's paying for what (insurance, gov't money, private money, etc.) and so on. I'm from there but find it hard to argue with those who question pouring billions into rebuilding the city when another Katrina could happen this hurricane season or the next. Especially considering that Katrina was, without question, NOT the worst case scenario for New Orleans. That would be a Cat 5 storm following a track where the rotating winds blow north up the Mississippi River, backing it up and causing it to top the levees downtown, and south over Lake Pontchartrain, forcing its waters into the city. Such a scenario could put very heavily populated areas under 20 feet of water.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Who cares if one of a team's colors isn't present on all forms of the uniform?

Gold not on the Chiefs helmet means nothing to me. The helmet and logo are fine as is, and the black is an outline color, not an official color of the organization.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

Who cares if one of a team's colors isn't present on all forms of the uniform?

Gold not on the Chiefs helmet means nothing to me. The helmet and logo are fine as is, and the black is an outline color, not an official color of the organization.

Well, since you asked, I care. Lots of folks who post here seem to care. I bet if we took a simple poll (care / not care), most of the people who hang out here (you know... uniform nuts) care about not only this seemingly tiny uniform anamoly, but a lot more just like it. Go back and look at any discussion (and there have been way too many) about the new Niners uniform vs, the old and see how many time "the old jersey had no gold" comes up.

And by the way, I think you may be wrong about how "official" the black is to the Chiefs.

Archived