NFL Changes for 2009 season

bowld

The city made the decision having a football team wasn't worth building a new stadium for.

A different city disagreed.

That's the realities of professional sports. And Houston lost the rights to complain about the Oilers in the process.

The fans didn't decide anything...we were never given a chance to save them with a vote. No vote = right to complain.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The city made the decision having a football team wasn't worth building a new stadium for.

That's the realities of professional sports. And Houston lost the rights to complain about the Oilers in the process.

The fans didn't decide anything...we were never given a chance to save them with a vote. No vote = right to complain.

And there wasn't a municipal election during those two years to get different folks in office?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm tired of the whole "It's all Bud Adams fault" nonsense, which is on the same level as NASCAR fans debating their sports popularity based on attendance.

-I have a ton of Houston friends and very few can get it through their heads how front-runner their behavior is.

-I miss the Oilers, not as a fan, but as a Texan who feels they never should have left in the first place.

-Bud Adams is a snake...no argument, but see my first point. When the Oilers were winning it was "Luv Ya Blue" everywhere. When stupid, toupeed Bud started making threats about moving most Oiler fans stopped showing up. I understand that. In a Perfect Storm scenario, Bud's ultimatums coincided with a bad streak for the team he owned. Houston bailed.

Swisher, I feel your pain, and I think the NFL without Houston would suck. I like the new rivalry with the Texans.

newsig.jpg

They did. They were coming off three straight playoff chokes (Denver, Buffalo and KC) and then a 2 win season. The owner demands city pay for a new stadium...the mayor says no...owner finds a sucker somewhere else...team is lame duck for two seasons waiting for lease to run out at the Astrodome so they can legally move....Fans don't show up to games because they don't want to spend hard earned $$$ on a team that has announced it is moving...owner complains about lack of fan support during lame duck season....ESPN shows empty stadium...fans get blamed for not caring....people think the Oilers moved because of lack of fan support. BS. With that said, I'm happy with the Texans.

the irony in all this is that the city eventually fronts the money to build Reliant Stadium. Something if they did when the Oil were in town, the oilers would still be in Houston.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

i'm not going to continue the mile-long quote fest...

but i'll agree with icecap.

the oilers are now the titans. just as your ex girlfriend is possibly married to some other guy, and using his last name.

doesn't make her any less the person she was. but she's moved on to a new place in her life.

more like girlfriend wants an upgrade over the piece of crap car. Boyfriend refuses to buy new car. Girlfreind leaves and goes to another guy that has a new car. Boyfriend realizes what he lost buys a new car and gets a new girlfriend.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

i'm not going to continue the mile-long quote fest...

but i'll agree with icecap.

the oilers are now the titans. just as your ex girlfriend is possibly married to some other guy, and using his last name.

doesn't make her any less the person she was. but she's moved on to a new place in her life.

more like girlfriend wants an upgrade over the piece of crap car. Boyfriend refuses to buy new car. Girlfreind leaves and goes to another guy that has a new car. Boyfriend realizes what he lost buys a new car and gets a new girlfriend.

lol. very true.

Misguided nostalgia for the Oilers will eventually die off, especially once the people "rocking" (seriously - can we ban this term?) the jerseys have kids who grow up as Texan fans.

The A's were insanely more popular than the Phillies in Philadelphia, but 50 years later, you don't see anyone "rocking" A's gear (of course merchandising wasn't then what it is now.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

i totally agree, and couldn't agree more.

however i think it's more a right to complain about the city of houston than the oilers/titans organization.

it sucks what oilers fans had happen. but that doesn't mean the titans are any less the oilers... as a dallas-based oiler/titan fan, i don't like hearing titans or texans fans argue that the titans aren't the oilers.

as retarded as bud is, at least we agree on the team's lineage.

Archived