NFL Changes for 2009 season

bowld

I have no problem with people posting rumors that they have heard. I actually am thankful for it. I just prefer them to back it up with some kind of proof.

New NFL uniforms is very exciting to me, so I did some digging into this Jags rumor. I came across this thread:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=119&f=1835&t=3565924

Later in the thread someone else says that they talked to a player and he said that the shade of teal is going to change,

Yes, it's a new shade of teal called "black." The Jags have gradually been trending this way for a few years anyway.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jags' new look, as described by an "insider" on a Jaguars forum:

"Similar to Broncos/Cardinals/Falcons, meaning more "panels".

There's going to be a big shift back to White and teal instead of Black and teal.

Teal will be more prominent on all portions of the uniform.

Full cat logo will be gone - only head of jag will be used.

Teal pants may be an option.

No more Black jerseys! yikes!

so based on that, heres my prediction of the combination:

White home shirts with either the usual white pants or new teal pants.

Teal away shirts, with white, teal, or maybe black pants.

As far as the logo is concerned - the logo will stay the same as far as the Jag head is concerned (so your old stuff is still good) BUT - there is a NEW typeface/font that will be used on all versions of the logo - think angular symmetrical block type. Kinda like the Falcons or Seahawks, only slightly arched."

think angular symmetrical block type. Kinda like the Falcons or Seahawks, only slightly arched."

Oh good! I just complained about this one post ago, in that thread about "LA Condors" or whatever. Sounds notchtastic!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

its going to be a different color teal...

I'll reserve judgement on this "different color teal" until I see it. That said, teal being returned to prominence in the color scheme is, in my opinion, a huge plus.

... probably some piping.

I fear that said piping is going to be completely gratuitous.

... and i guess the helmet is going to change colors depending on the angle youre looking at it.

While there is a part of me that wonders whether or not it would be possible to replicate the effect of a melanistic jaguar's coat (i.e. spots being visible from certain angles - and in certain light - under an all-black coat) on Jacksonville's current helmet, I'm actually pretty fearful that this will turn out to be a complete mess. I consider the Jaguars' current helmet to be the best in the NFL. Why screw with a good thing?

and they might change the logo...

If true, that's a HUGE mistake. Jacksonville's "Jaguar Head" logo is one of the best - in my opinion, the best - in the NFL.

theyre also taking the full jaguars off the sleeves..

While I've never been as big a fan of the full-body jaguar logo as I am of the jaguar head mark, I'd have to see what the team comes up with as a replacement for sleeve adornment.

Frankly, it sounds to me as if this redesign is going to be a complete cluster- :censored: . That's too bad. Aside from the foolish move to accentuate black in their uniforms at the expense of teal (and wear the hideous solid black pants more frequently), the Jaguars have always had a solid look.

Major mistake.

There's going to be a big shift back to White and teal instead of Black and teal.

As long as Black isn't completely eliminated, I'm in favor of this development. It sounds as if the team will be embracing a balance of color similar to that which they used when they first entered the league.

A positive development.

While I believe that the complete abandonment of the full-body jaguar logo is overkill, as long as the jaguar head mark is retained... I'm good!

Let's hope NOT.

No more Black jerseys!

That's FANTASTIC news!

If there is such a thing as an "NFL Uniform/Logo God", he'll grant that these are the uniform combos.

Aside from the "heat/humidity" argument, what really good reason do the Jaguars have to wish to go the Cowboys/Redskins route and go white at home? I mean...for real? It seems a bit backwards to me that IF the Jags are going to make a dedicated effort to push out more teal, then why not wear the daggone color more in front of your home fans versus almost not wearing it at all? This may just be me, but I really hate the white-at-home thing. (This includes you, Dallas!)

As far as the logo is concerned - the logo will stay the same as far as the Jag head is concerned (so your old stuff is still good) BUT - there is a NEW typeface/font that will be used on all versions of the logo - think angular symmetrical block type. Kinda like the Falcons or Seahawks, only slightly arched."

THIS makes me think Verlander Design is getting involved in the process. "Angular, block" type, at least to me = little serifs on the letters of the wordmarks of the Falcons, Seahawks, Texans, and Bengals--all Verlander creations. Which means now that I could go either way about this new look that's coming up. On the one hand, I do like the Bengals' wordmark, and would like the Cardinals' and Seahawks' wordmarks if they weren't damn near exactly identical. On the other hand, however, those wordmarks are also almost entirely too simple for my tastes, at least as a sports team wordmark. And considering the Jaguars' cat head logo is pretty complex as is, I can't say sure sure how well a simplistic wordmark would fit in with that logo. And, FWIW, the current Jaguars identity is one of my favorite identities, if not my absolute favorite, in all of the NFL and probably across the big 4 major pro leagues, as well. So naturally Imma be real apprehensive of this here new identity that's about to be rolled out. Let's hope for something good! And, um...does anyone else besides me find this "color-changing helmet" thing to be a real intriguing idea in THEORY but secretly think it might end up turning into a cluster:censored:?

Oh...and for the love of all that's right and holy, can we PLEASE not get any uneccesary paneling or piping with this here new set???

(Also...who wants to bet the over/under on the fresh crop of Jaguars concepts that's about to spring up over in the Concepts forum???)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'll have to find the article, but I believe the Tennessee Titans will roll out a Houston Oilers throwback either next year or 2010. Hopefully it will be worn v. the Texans. :D

They are wearing the Oilers uniforms next season, and it would be totally classless to wear them against the Texans in my opinion....but of coarse we're talking about Bud Adams here, so they probably will.

Nothing wrong with them wearing Tennessee Oilers uniforms, though. Do we know what specific era they are throwing back to?

I'm not too sure. Here is an article from a Yahoo! football blog about it, but I cannot find the original article from TitansRadio.com. I think it may have mentioned an era they were considering, but the article has seemed to vanish.

Also, it looks like they'll be wearing the Oilers unis v. the New York Titans. Or New York Jets. New York Bretts. Whatever.

Hopefully all the way back to the AFL uniforms like they did in 1994...and if it's against the Jets then that would make sense. I'd really rather not see them in the Oilers uniforms I grew up with. The couple of seasons as the Tennessee Oilers was painful enough.

And although I know it will NEVER happen...it would be fun to see the Texans wear WFL Houston Texans throwbacks.

houtexansuni.gif

How bout a USFL throwback day in the NFL. Something like this.

The Bears could wear the Chicago Blitz.

The Lions, the Michigan Panthers.

The Cardinals, the Arizona Wranglers.

The Steelers. the Pittsburgh Maulers.

The Cowboys, the Oklahoma Outlaws.

The Raiders, the Oakland Invaders.

The Bucs, the Tampa Bay Bandits.

The Broncos, the Denver Gold.

The Dolphins, the Orlando Renegades. (Since the Renegades were originally suppose to play in Miami).

The Titans, the Memphis Showboats.

The Falcons, the Birmingham Stallions. (Close enough)

The Jags, the Jacksonville Bulls.

The Vikings, the San Antonio Gunslingers.(A tribute to Red McCombs)

The Texans, the Houston Gamblers.

The Rams, the L.A. Express.

The Eagles and Ravens can both be the Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars.

Both the Jets and Giants could be the New Jersey Generals.

The Patriots, Saints and Seahawks, the Boston, New Orleans and Portland Breakers.

The Redskins and everybody else can be the Washington Federals.

What a waste of time this was!!!

I would prefer the NFL resist that tempation to break out USFL throwbacks. No offense, but this isn't the NBA. :D

Furthermore, neither the WFL nor the USFL ever had teams merge with (or, in the technical case of the NBA, have teams be accepted as expansion franchises in) the NFL. In short, the analogy is AFL->NFL as ABA->NBA and WHA->NHL.

WFL, USFL, and their teams etc. have no relationship with NFL (other than lawsuits :P ).

It is what it is.

Wow, thanks for that info. Very interesting, originally I thought definite upgrade, but of course we will have to see.

But, with the combos of teal jersey-white pants and white jersey-teal pants, does that make anyone else think: Dolphins? Especially if the Jags helmet ends up teal or white.

Wow, thanks for that info. Very interesting, originally I thought definite upgrade, but of course we will have to see.

But, with the combos of teal jersey-white pants and white jersey-teal pants, does that make anyone else think: Dolphins? Especially if the Jags helmet ends up teal or white.

More panels and more teal. Recipe for disaster.

I'm all in favor of the Bucs and Pats using throwbacks.

The Titans, not so much. I think the Oiler throwbacks should be available for the Texans to bust out with, they were Houston's team, not Tennessee's.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the Falcons use the old red helmets once in awhile.

Texas.gif

And, um...does anyone else besides me find this "color-changing helmet" thing to be a real intriguing idea in THEORY but secretly think it might end up turning into a cluster:censored:?

If done right, it will look really good. I have seen these helmet concepts done, and most look really sharp.

My guess, is that the helmet will be metallic black, but have some teal "tint" (or "sparkle") to it, when the sun or light hits it. That's how the color will "change".

A "bluer teal" is what I am interested to see. The Jags teal, may end up looking more like a "medium teal blue", then "teal green".

Nahhh. The Dolphins are technically aqua and the Jaguars will probably wear their darks A LOT more than the Dolphins. Plus, accent colors are different enough.

And, um...does anyone else besides me find this "color-changing helmet" thing to be a real intriguing idea in THEORY but secretly think it might end up turning into a cluster:censored:?

My guess, is that the helmet will be metallic black, but have some teal "tint" (or "sparkle") to it, when the sun or light hits it. That's how the color will "change".

That would probably look good. Central Michigan uses gold flakes in the helmets, and it is a nice touch.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Maybe the helmet will change colors like a mood ring, but what if that means it tips off that you're going to run play action? This could be a lot of research and development down the drain.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I hate the teal. Jaguars should go with black and gold, like a real jaguar. I think their all-black mono's are one of the slickest looking uniforms in the NFL. Normally I don't like monochrome and think too many teams have black, but it just really fits the Jaguars.

That would probably look good. Central Michigan uses gold flakes in the helmets, and it is a nice touch.

That was my first thought when I read that the Jaguars' helmet was going to change. They currently have a "pearl" or "dazzle" black finish with what appears to be gold metallic flakes - in the pearl finishes the flakes are very tiny and only really pop under certain lighting. My bet is that the paint will now have teal flakes, and might use a larger flake so the other color will pop more and under more lighting conditions.

Uni Watch DIY Project: Outfitting an Entire Team

You know how I?ve been saying for years now that the Jaguars? uni set has a chance to become regarded as a classic if the Jags are smart enough not to mess with it? This just in: As of next season, they?re not smart enough.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived