World Baseball Classic 2009

Breakwood

I was looking through the caps for the WBC, and why, exactly, does the US need 3 caps for the tournament? They only had the solid navy for the first one, correct?

I think they at least had the typical blue and the red one in 06.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was looking through the caps for the WBC, and why, exactly, does the US need 3 caps for the tournament? They only had the solid navy for the first one, correct?

I think they at least had the typical blue and the red one in 06.

Yeah, they definitely had a red hat in 06.

And I guess it's pretty obvious why the US needs 3 caps. George Washington, Ben Franklin, Andrew Hamilton, and other green presidents are why.

So, are they going to do this thing every 3 years or will it just be like the World Cup of Hockey and be whenever they feel like it?

Right now it looks like whenever they feel like it. I thought they said it was supposed to be every four years after it started in 2006.

So, are they going to do this thing every 3 years or will it just be like the World Cup of Hockey and be whenever they feel like it?

Right now it looks like whenever they feel like it. I thought they said it was supposed to be every four years after it started in 2006.

No, the second WBC was to be three years after the first (I think to grow interest or something along those lines). After this year, it is slated to be every four years. It could change, as I recall reading Cuba being in favor of an every three year tournament.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

So what some of you are saying, LeBron, Kobe, Melo, and the rest of those guys shouldn't have played in the Olympics?

I think there's about 2.5 months between when Olympic Basketball ends and when the NBA Regular Season begins.

Position players, except those coming off of an injury, isn't much of a problem to me. I don't care if Youkilis or Pedroia want to play -- but Daisuke Matsuzaka, who already has to be rested towards the end of every year because his arm gets tired, throwing more high-pressure innings bothers me a bit.

IUe6Hvh.png

I get it that a lot of people are worried about the players getting hurt, but would it seem pointless if they got hurt in a Spring Training game? I mean, essentially isn't that what this is? The difference is these guys from different teams are playing together.

I get it that a lot of people are worried about the players getting hurt, but would it seem pointless if they got hurt in a Spring Training game? I mean, essentially isn't that what this is? The difference is these guys from different teams are playing together.

The difference is these guys are playing for something. In Spring Training, they're just playing to prepare themselves for the regular season, and doing so under the watch of people who have zero short term goals beyond getting ready for the season. I tend to think the players look at these as games that matter, and as a result, the innings are more "high pressure" than in regular spring training.

What baseball people say -- again, few of whom are trying to sabotage the WBC because even most of those who were skeptical in the beginning agreed it was a far better even than they expected -- is that there is no question that major-league pitchers were forced to pitch in high-pressure situations, with adrenaline raging at high, before their bodies were in shape to do so.

"Not that spring games aren't hard, but you can control them," Scioscia says. "Especially if a guy needs extra work. You take him out of a spring game and put him into a camp situation so he can throw 15 breaking balls, or whatever pitches he needs work on."

That's from a CBS Sportsline article. I haven't looked very deep into it, but I'm pretty sure a number of guys struggled with performance and injuries after pitching in the WBC. Peavy, Willis, Silva, Clemens...

IUe6Hvh.png

I'd listen to Sosh. He knows this "base ball" thing.

Freddy Garcia is the most prominent example of 2006 (and beyond) dead arm, off the top of my head, InTheEnd.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

ahhh, rosters are out, less than 2 weeks till the start, i can't wait!!

even though the only shot Canada has of getting out of pool play is to outslug everyone in 9-8 or 12-10 games......losing the 4 best pitchers this country has is going to hurt.

You have to understand that the World Cup of Hockey is negotiated in the CBA and with the NHL in the Olympics, it makes the World Cup kind of pointless. I think the next one that is scheduled or at least talked about is in 2011 or 2012. I've heard that if the NHL doesn't send players to the Olympics starting in 2014 that the World Cup will replace it on a regular basis. Baseball is doing this because MLB doesn't want to stop it's season for the Olympics where as hockey is fine with that. I wish they'd ditch the World Cup of Hockey and go back to having the Canada Cup and do it between the Winter Olympics, play all the games in Canada and just set it on a regular schedule.

As far as World Baseball Classic, I'm okay with it. I'm just not as excited about it, I'm not sure why. It might be that there is so much baseball on that, I've just had my fill of it. Will I watch it? Sure. I just won't adjust my schedule around it, especially since most of them will be wearing the crappy generic uniforms of the last "classic".

Dear MLB,

Please send me my WBC tickets... the first two games are a week from tomorrow and I ordered the ticket package in November. No, nobody else has gotten theirs either.

Signed,

Probably not getting his tickets

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Dear MLB,

Please send me my WBC tickets... the first two games are a week from tomorrow and I ordered the ticket package in November. No, nobody else has gotten theirs either.

Signed,

I have had experiences like this from the Mets, you will get them next week, and if you want to be cautious give them a call start annoying them and make them send them.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Dear MLB,

Signed,

Sweet. If nobody has tickets, my job will be easy :P

1zqy8ok.gif

Just an idea Karl Ravech had a few days ago during the Astros-Braves game on ESPN, but his idea was to start the WBC later in March and wittle it down to a Final 4 to be played i replacement of the All Star Game every 4 years.

Not a prefect fix, but not a bad idea.

Dear MLB,

Signed,

Sweet. If nobody has tickets, my job will be easy :P

You workin' at the Dome now?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived