2009 NFL Off-Season Thread

BlueSky

Want.

prod.jpg

:D

(FYI, Cassel won't be wearing 16 (Len Dawson) since it was retired)

Get it personalized with two l's just to piss gingerbreadmann.

And Ginger, if the players didn't change, the dropoff in the o-line is probably a result of the change in QB's.

Cassel did mature over the course of the season, that much can't be argued. But if you watched the Pats all season, Cassel looked like a younger Bledsoe. Held the ball too long and got the throw off just in time. I'm still not happy about the trade retrun(s), but Cassel certainly isn't franchise QB material.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Want.

prod.jpg

And Ginger, if the players didn't change, the dropoff in the o-line is probably a result of the change in QB's.

Um, alrighty, you could assume that I guess, but having watched all the games I'm quite sure of what I said. It's not. And I'm not alone, I will tell you that. While Cassel is still far from Brady, the O-line dropoff hurt the team overall more than the QB change, and they held Cassel back in some games. There were some injuries, yet it was still almost the exact same group of guys as last year. It was a lot more than Cassel.

I'm sorry if it bothers you that it pisses me off, but I just think that it takes away from the credibility of (the collective) your post a little if you don't at least know his name. Plus, it's not even a complicated name. That's all.

So the Broncos are interested in trading Cutler because they think he reach his peak? Being a Pro Bowl QB isn't a good enough peak for them?

I'm sure his health concerns, combined with his mouth continuing to write checks he may not be able to cash, may have made him a bit of a liability.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

God I hate to lose Anthony Henry...seriously.

and for jon kitna for that.

but someone's gotta wash all the jock straps in the locker room. Kitna fits the bill.

I was reading the Fort worth star telegram online and from what i was reading, Roy Williams the saftey, probably will be released/traded.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I said earlier, I think Cassell's a lateral move from Thigpen. But they didn't give up that much and got a veteran LB back, so I think it was a pretty good deal for Kansas City.

He was playing with one of the best O-Line's in football, and throwing the ball to two elite WR's, Randy Moss and Wes Welker. By the way, for you Patriots fans out there... how much turnover was there on the O-Line between 2007 and 2008? Brady got sacked 21 times in 2007 -- Cassell got sacked 47 times last season.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing that out. Exactly my thoughts too. Cassel last year was a Buick parked in a garage full of Ferraris - of course he looked better! Put him back on the used car lot and you'll see what you're really getting. That's nothing personal to him, it's true for many players every year in free agency. In a certain system and/or with a certain coach and/or with great players around them, they look super. Bring them to your average team with its average coach and its average system and all of a sudden they look, well, average.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I said earlier, I think Cassell's a lateral move from Thigpen. But they didn't give up that much and got a veteran LB back, so I think it was a pretty good deal for Kansas City.

He was playing with one of the best O-Line's in football, and throwing the ball to two elite WR's, Randy Moss and Wes Welker. By the way, for you Patriots fans out there... how much turnover was there on the O-Line between 2007 and 2008? Brady got sacked 21 times in 2007 -- Cassell got sacked 47 times last season.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing that out. Exactly my thoughts too. Cassel last year was a Buick parked in a garage full of Ferraris - of course he looked better! Put him back on the used car lot and you'll see what you're really getting. That's nothing personal to him, it's true for many players every year in free agency. In a certain system and/or with a certain coach and/or with great players around them, they look super. Bring them to your average team with its average coach and its average system and all of a sudden they look, well, average.

You saved me the trouble of typing that out too. The Patriots IMO didn't get as bad a deal as many are saying. Cassel is overrated at this point and Vrabel is getting old and his contract would have been up next year.

2 NFL Players missing off the coast of Florida :(

CLEARWATER, Fla.?Detroit Lions defensive end Corey Smith and Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper were among four boaters missing Sunday off Florida's Gulf Coast, the Coast Guard and Smith's agent said.

Smith and Cooper were on a 21-foot vessel that left Clearwater Pass on Saturday morning for a fishing trip and did not return as expected, the Coast Guard said Sunday. Crews used a helicopter and a 47-foot motor-life boat to search a 750-square mile area west of Clearwater Pass on Sunday.

Smith owned the boat and he and Cooper had been on fishing trips before, said Ron Del Duca, Smith's agent. The pair had been teammates on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2004.

Smith, 29, had 30 tackles, including three sacks, and an interception in 12 games last season for the winless Lions. Smith, who is 6-foot-2, 250 pounds, also played for the San Francisco 49ers and played college ball at North Carolina State.

Del Duca called Smith one of the "good guys" of the league and was planning to start visiting teams as a free agent this week. He said he has spoken with Smith's family and is also in touch with Coast Guard officials.

"They've assured me that they're deploying all available resources to look for these guys and get them back," he said.

Cooper, 26, has played sparingly in five seasons with the Buccaneers, Seahawks, Jaguars, Steelers and Raiders. Cooper, who is 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, played college ball at Washington.

Rick Davis, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Tampa, said seas were about 2 to 4 feet Saturday morning and increased to 3 to 5 feet in the afternoon. Late Saturday night, a small craft advisory was issued, when winds were around 20 knots and seas were up to 7 feet or more. There were no thunderstorms in the area.

Davis said the water was "extremely rough and choppy" on Sunday afternoon.

Lions spokesman Bill Keenist said he had heard Smith was aboard a missing boat but hadn't been able to confirm it.

"We're aware of the media reports," Keenist said Sunday afternoon. "We're trying to find out what we can."

God I hate the Cowboys...seriously. :)

But on topic, if the Eagles get TJ, I'll be happy. They continue to p*** me off every offseason, getting Oline and Dlinemen in the draft and free agency. It kills me that they don't understand, that with a superstar WR (Owens), they were minutes away from their first super bowl and damn near dominated teams in the regular season. They've already solved (for the most part) the OLine crisis with the other Andrews.

What we got in the Lito Sheppard trade wasn't much (5th this year and 7th next year I believe), but Reid loves his low draft picks. With the loss of Dawkins (huge), we no longer have one of the most feared secondaries in the NFL (Samuel, Brown, Mikell, Dawkins last year) and now there's a huge void left. They may now have to use one of their higher draft picks on a safety instead of an Olinemen or receiver. I'm thinking Mikell will move over to FS, he has huge potential IMO, almost had a pro-bowl year last year and he's very young, much more technical than Dawkins I think. Should be interesting to see what they do with their two first rounders.

Again, it comes back to getting a stud WR though. McNabb already said he won't want an extension if the Eagles don't buff up the offense around him, and they haven't done it yet. Reports say the Cardinals would trade Boldin for a 1st and 3rd rounder, and I wouldn't be suprised if Philly bites. They have 2 first rounders, and I think Reid could part with a couple picks for a guy like Boldin, who would be a monster in Philly's west coast offense because of his YAC. TJ would be a deep threat, which the Eagles love to do with that play action, so I'm hoping they can get one of those two.

Ok, I'm done venting :)

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I agree with this, Cassell did not even start at USC.

To his credit though, he was behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinhart - two QB's who did very well in college.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Yeah, but I think his good year had more to do with the team around him, then himself, and I see him being a bust in KC.

I would say that, but I still don't think we have a good enough sample to judge him by. Also, Scott Pioli is in KC now remember. If Pioli can quickly build a team around him I can see him being a solid NFL QB by the time all is said and done.

But on topic, if the Eagles get TJ, I'll be happy. They continue to p*** me off every offseason, getting Oline and Dlinemen in the draft and free agency. It kills me that they don't understand, that with a superstar WR (Owens), they were minutes away from their first super bowl and damn near dominated teams in the regular season. They've already solved (for the most part) the OLine crisis with the other Andrews.

What we got in the Lito Sheppard trade wasn't much (5th this year and 7th next year I believe), but Reid loves his low draft picks. With the loss of Dawkins (huge), we no longer have one of the most feared secondaries in the NFL (Samuel, Brown, Mikell, Dawkins last year) and now there's a huge void left. They may now have to use one of their higher draft picks on a safety instead of an Olinemen or receiver. I'm thinking Mikell will move over to FS, he has huge potential IMO, almost had a pro-bowl year last year and he's very young, much more technical than Dawkins I think. Should be interesting to see what they do with their two first rounders.

Again, it comes back to getting a stud WR though. McNabb already said he won't want an extension if the Eagles don't buff up the offense around him, and they haven't done it yet. Reports say the Cardinals would trade Boldin for a 1st and 3rd rounder, and I wouldn't be suprised if Philly bites. They have 2 first rounders, and I think Reid could part with a couple picks for a guy like Boldin, who would be a monster in Philly's west coast offense because of his YAC. TJ would be a deep threat, which the Eagles love to do with that play action, so I'm hoping they can get one of those two.

McNabb's whole statement about waiting to see how the team improves before asking for an extension was just a way to try and save face after he was denied his extension in a meeting with the team. He's just trying to spin it like it's somehow his choice not to get an extension, not that he was turned down. And honestly, who cares if he gets an extension? He's the guy who "got tired at the end of the Super Bowl."

TJ would be a mistake. They don't need a "possession" receiver who's never really been a #1. He's a fine player, but without someone like CJ opposite him, wouldn't flourish in the Eagles' offense. Either make the trade for Boldin, or just keep what they have. We all hate drafting linemen, but it's necessary. Without a solid line, it doesn't matter who's playing QB, WR, or RB. Signing Stacy Andrews to replace Runyan was smart (though I'll really miss Runyan) but now they really have to work on getting Tra back for another year while they develop a OT that they pick up in the draft.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's a shame about the players missing off the coast of Florida. I know Marquis Coopers father Bruce Cooper who is the Sportscaster for 12 News here in Phoenix. Nicest guy in the world. It's a shame

I agree with this, Cassell did not even start at USC.

To his credit though, he was behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinhart - two QB's who did very well in college.

It's "Leinart."

[/gingerbreadmann]

McNabb's whole statement about waiting to see how the team improves before asking for an extension was just a way to try and save face after he was denied his extension in a meeting with the team. He's just trying to spin it like it's somehow his choice not to get an extension, not that he was turned down. And honestly, who cares if he gets an extension? He's the guy who "got tired at the end of the Super Bowl."

TJ would be a mistake. They don't need a "possession" receiver who's never really been a #1. He's a fine player, but without someone like CJ opposite him, wouldn't flourish in the Eagles' offense. Either make the trade for Boldin, or just keep what they have. We all hate drafting linemen, but it's necessary. Without a solid line, it doesn't matter who's playing QB, WR, or RB. Signing Stacy Andrews to replace Runyan was smart (though I'll really miss Runyan) but now they really have to work on getting Tra back for another year while they develop a OT that they pick up in the draft.

Still, you can't say TJ wouldn't help us out. He's better than our other receivers by far, and DeSean could be the speedster, while TJ would be catching short balls. Curtis is a pain to watch, he's so inconsistent even when he's healthy, which isn't much. Reggie Brown looked great the first couple years, but turned out to be a bust. And with the below average other guys (Greg Lewis, Baskett, Avant or did they let one of them go I don't remember) it's not good when your best WR threat is your RB. We can't just keep going after young, unproven guys. A proven WR who is very good would benefit us a lot.

Though another guy that could help out if we sign is Derrick Ward. Definitely would take the load off Westbrook. We really do need a power guy though, because our goalline offense last year was probably the worst in the NFL. I understand they've been trying to get guys to take hte load off Westbrook, but none of them are even used really or effective. Buckhalter was decent, and did pretty well at the end of the year, but he's gone now. Booker did nothing (never really noticed if he was in the game ever) and Hunt barely played.

EDIT: Just saw this

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2009/2/27/77496...deh-s-agent-tri

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Want.

prod.jpg

Um, alrighty, you could assume that I guess, but having watched all the games I'm quite sure of what I said. It's not. And I'm not alone, I will tell you that. While Cassel is still far from Brady, the O-line dropoff hurt the team overall more than the QB change, and they held Cassel back in some games. There were some injuries, yet it was still almost the exact same group of guys as last year. It was a lot more than Cassel.

I'm sorry if it bothers you that it pisses me off, but I just think that it takes away from the credibility of (the collective) your post a little if you don't at least know his name. Plus, it's not even a complicated name. That's all.

#10 is the number when he was at chatsworth hs and of course USC

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

It will be very hard to see Brooking in a Dallas uni next season. He is synonymous with the Falcons and the state of Georgia.

I won't be too surprised if the Falcons draft LB's in the draft. I wouldn't be shocked if they also pick up some OL's, a few DL's, and a DB or two either, whether through FA's, trades, or the draft.

Archived