2009 NFL Off-Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brooks, reached by telephone, clearly was shaken by the news and said he had no advance warning he would be cut.

"Right now, like all of you guys, I'm just trying to get a feel for it all, trying to come to grips with it," Brooks said. "I don't even know what to think. I'll speak to all of you guys (Thursday)."

I can't say I feel too sorry for Brooks after hearing him pile on Gruden when he got canned last month.

What goes around, comes around.

6uXNWAo.png

I still am in shock of the Brooks news. (Where's Brandon from here with the "official" comments?) I don't understand June either. I know they need to get going again, but they were a win away from a playoff birth. Wonder what would have happened if they made the post-season? I have nobody to blame but...Lane Kiffin :) He was the cannon ball that sunk the ship in Tampa. I guess the Raiders finally got their revenge ;)

KISSwall09.jpg

It looks like Tampa is tearing down the team, and looking to rebuild, that usually means next year will be a very bad season.

That's what I'm thinking.

Then again, I'm glad you threw that "usually" in there. The Falcons basically did the same thing, everybody in the world figured we were going to be ass awful, and they ended up going 11-5 and only lost to the NFC Champions.

Speaking of the Falcons...they could very well do the same thing to their defense.

Which I am all in favor of. The Falcons really need to do what they did with the offense last offseason, which is tear it down, build via free agency and draft, and come hard and ready for the regular season. A lot of names that will be missed, but it'll be worth losing them if thee new guys can come in and win.

I just dont know how to take the news...I just can't fathom why the Bucs would attempt doing this to D-Brooks. I know there's been history of this before, but this was pure blindside. The other guys I can understand to a point, but Brooks made no sense.

Hope the Bucs have some kind of explanation.

Warning: off-topic.

From the linked story about the Rams releasing Trent Green and Drew Bennett:

"Bennett?s relieve is a wash, saving the team only $50,000 in cap space."

Would that be 'release' they were shooting for?

Seems proofreaders are getting pink-slipped all over. On the same day recently, the Atlanta paper in two separate stories called a murdered woman "no shrinking violent" (Freudian slip?) and said the airport chose a certain runway to lengthen because it would "cost the lease" to expand. :blink:

We now return you to your regularly discussed topic.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Dom Capers will move Aaron Kampman to OLB to usher in the new 3-4 defense in Green Bay, how sweet would it be to see the Pack go after Bertrand Berry is the Cards don't resign him.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Just heard on Hardcore Sports Radio that the Providence Journal is reporting that the Patriots have come to terms with Fred Taylor.

EDIT - DeAngelo Hall signs with the Redskins

55 mil over 6 yrs for Hall, cut Springs and we'll be ok.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Well, as the city of Industry looks to build their venue...

Industry, CA Approves Stadium Proposal

Council members in the city of Industry on Thursday unanimously approved a proposal for a professional football stadium intended to lure a team back to the Los Angeles area.

The vote helped clear the way for developers of the $800 million venue to begin talks with NFL teams about a possible move to the industrial and warehousing city 15 miles east of Los Angeles.

Majestic Real Estate Co. managing partner John Semcken said the company would begin shopping for a team on April 1, the deadline for opponents of the project to file a lawsuit.

At least eight franchises, including the Oakland Raiders, Buffalo Bills and Minnesota Vikings, have been identified as possible targets for relocation, he said, and developers are confident the NFL would approve a move.

The Vikings are looking for stimulus monies:

Vikings Want Stimulus Money to Stay Local

Time is running out for the Minnesota Vikings to get a deal on a new stadium, and it couldn't have come at a worse moment as state lawmakers grapple with a $4.8 billion budget deficit.

But the Vikings aren't giving up in their quest for a public-private partnership, and neither is the commission that oversees the Metrodome. Rather than straight-up asking for public money, they're touting the new jobs and tax revenue a new stadium could bring.

On Monday, the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission told members of a House committee that building a new stadium on the Metrodome site would create 8,000 construction jobs and help state and local governments bring in $32 million a year in tax revenue.

The figures were based on a report the commission asked an outside group to conduct to show the economic benefits of building a new Minneapolis stadium. During a presentation before the House Local Government Division, Metrodome officials used the report to argue that not building a stadium would be a missed opportunity.

Albert Haynesworth is a Redskin. 7 years, $100 million...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3939011

not a shocker there, Redskins Champions of the Offseason again.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

Bart Scott to the Jets. I don't have a link, but it is true.

Ray Lewis will be next. these Rex Ryan guys will run the team.

Archived