2009 NCAA Basketball Thread

Drew22

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Wake doesn't go back to #1. I say UConn #1, and Wake #2. I was impressed that Wake was able to dominate Duke the way they did, but then they let their inexperience show when they let Duke come back. Thankfully, they held on in the end. If they can somehow keep Teague, Aminu and Johnson around for next season, they will be dominant.

1zqy8ok.gif

The only reason I watched is because it was on at my gym. Wake should have lost as they did not put the game away. I do now think Dick Vitale as during a "SC Extra", basically said the regular season does not matter as he tried to downplay losses in comparison to NCAA football.

Also, when did Tennessee become the darling of ESPN? They are on all the time now on par with Kansas and Duke. It just makes me think that it seems that Wayne Chism has been there for 6 years and Ron Slay seemed to be there for since Don DeVoe was the Vols coach.

This is weird in my book. He lead that team to the NCAA's last season under the most extraordinary circumstances ever seen by just about anyone. I would think that a trip to the NCAA's would at least buy him a year or two from the firing squad.

This is weird in my book. He lead that team to the NCAA's last season under the most extraordinary circumstances ever seen by just about anyone. I would think that a trip to the NCAA's would at least buy him a year or two from the firing squad.

The thing is everyone could see that he had little to do with that. It was more Sundiata Gaines went into "I don't want to play my last college basketball game" mode.

He's had 5 years and failed to accomplish anything besides that. He has missed out on some big recruits out of Georgia the past couple of years too.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

He got let go more because he wasn't selling UGA's basketball program as opposed to his coaching.

That said, UGA's basketball program hasn't improved all that much in the 5 years he was here. That lucky weekend saved his ass, and UGA's performance this season shows that something has to be done.

He got let go more because he wasn't selling UGA's basketball program as opposed to his coaching.

That said, UGA's basketball program hasn't improved all that much in the 5 years he was here. That lucky weekend saved his ass, and UGA's performance this season shows that something has to be done.

Gary Williams should be next for the same reason. some of the best ball talent in the nation resides here in Maryland, and Gary gets none of them. no kid wants to get shouted at for his time in college. Garys a helluva coach, and despite their bad record, Maryland is playing above their heads as far as their talent goes, but he cannot recruit.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

The thing is everyone could see that he had little to do with that. It was more Sundiata Gaines went into "I don't want to play my last college basketball game" mode.

Exactly. Watching those games, it was basically Gaines running the show and Felton like "Wow, I get to coach into next season, aw man! Sweet!"

Quick...name the only men's basketball team in the state of Georgia that has a winning record entering today's games. Yep, that's right.....Mercer.

The entire state sucks this year. Unless someone goes on a miraculous conference tournament run, the state will once again be without a team in the big tournament come March.

Georgia Tech (RPI: 148) -- 9-10 overall, 0-6 conference (12th in ACC)

Georgia (RPI: 199) -- 9-11 overall, 0-5 conference (6th in SEC East Div.; 12th SEC)

Georgia State (RPI: 287) -- 5-16 overall, 3-7 conference (10th in Colonial)

GA Southern (RPI: 214) -- 7-11 overall, 5-5 conference (5th in Southern South Div.)

Mercer (RPI: 213) -- 11-10 overall, 5-5 conference (4th in Atlantic Sun)

Kennesaw State (RPI: 319) -- 6-13 overall, 2-8 conference (11th in Atlantic Sun)

Quick...name the only men's basketball team in the state of Georgia that has a winning record entering today's games. Yep, that's right.....Mercer.

The entire state sucks this year. Unless someone goes on a miraculous conference tournament run, the state will once again be without a team in the big tournament come March.

Georgia Tech (RPI: 148) -- 9-10 overall, 0-6 conference (12th in ACC)

Georgia (RPI: 199) -- 9-11 overall, 0-5 conference (6th in SEC East Div.; 12th SEC)

Georgia State (RPI: 287) -- 5-16 overall, 3-7 conference (10th in Colonial)

GA Southern (RPI: 214) -- 7-11 overall, 5-5 conference (5th in Southern South Div.)

Mercer (RPI: 213) -- 11-10 overall, 5-5 conference (4th in Atlantic Sun)

Kennesaw State (RPI: 319) -- 6-13 overall, 2-8 conference (11th in Atlantic Sun)

Ouch. BTW, this is the same Mercer team that beat Auburn and Alabama, I believe. To see them better then both the Yellow Jackets and the Bulldogs is very weird, at best.

Oh, and you forgot Savannah State (10-11, RPI: 232)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I nearly forgot about BracketBusters this year.

The marquee game is Butler at Davidson. Let's see if Stephen Curry can fight off that tough as nails Butler D.

The TV games

Friday, Febuary 20th:

-Virginia Commonwealth at Nevada

-Illinois State at Niagara

Saturday, Febuary 21st:

-George Mason at Creighton

-Butler at Davidson

-Miami (Ohio) at Evansville

-Hofstra at Fairfield

-Green Bay at Long Beach State

-Liberty at Old Dominion

-Boise State at Portland State

-Utah State at Saint Mary?s

-Northern Iowa at Siena

-Buffalo at Vermont

-Northeastern at Wright State

Everything else (AKA The Non-TV Games):

-Loyola-Maryland at Drexel

-North Dakota State at UW-Milwaukee

-Austin Peay at Drake

-Pacific at San Diego

-Missouri State at Tennessee-Martin

-Gardner-Webb at James Madison

-Bradley at Loyola-Chicago

-UMBC at Rider

-Southern Illinois at Illinois-Chicago

-Canisius at Bowling Green

-Cleveland State at Wichita State

-Cal State Fullerton at New Mexico State

-Ohio at Eastern Kentucky

-Iona at Boston

-La. Tech at Missouri State

-UC Riverside at San Jose State

-Cal State Northridge at Idaho

-Morehead State at Kent State

-Tennessee Tech at Ball State

-Jackonsville State at Georgia Southern

-Akron at Valparaiso

-Montana State at UC Santa Barbara

-Morgan State at Towson

-UC Irvine at Hawai?i

-Toledo at Indiana State

-Appalachian State at Winthrop

-Hartford at Marist

-Eastern Illinois at Western Michigan

-Fresno State at UC Davis

-South Dakota State at Cal Poly

-Manhattan at William and Mary

-Elon at UNC Wilmington

-Farleigh Dickenson at Central Michigan

-Delaware at Bucknell

-Saint Peter's at Youngstown State

-Detroit at Tennessee State

-Georgia State at Eastern Michigan

-Northern Illinois at SE Missouri

#2 Oklahoma's losing to A&M 68-65 late in the second.

#3 Duke is getting destroyed by Clemson 70-44 late in the second.

#6 Wake Forest got mollywocked by Miami 79-52.

Some night.

edit: It's a final, Duke loses by 27. Oklahoma's now up on A&M 71-69

IUe6Hvh.png

Two top-10 teams in Xavier and Clemson go down today, with Duke almost getting beat by Miami. Same with UConn almost losing to Michigan.

Just another crazy day in college basketball.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Well....it looks like the Big East's cannibalistic nature is going to send Notre Dame to the NIT.

Also props to Nebraska on upsetting Texas.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived