What is it with all of the black uniforms?!

GoDawgs08

I could not get over the highlight last night of the UF vs. SC game! Not b/c of the awesome ending, but because Florida seems to have commited to those ugly black jerseys!!

Even the Wildcats of UK have black in the wordrobe now! And nothing was worse than Texas A&M's black jerseys with the black numerals!

That combo of black jerseys, orange numerals and orange and blue trim might be the worst sports uniform I have ever seen. Any reason why teams go with black? Florida could go with Orange, and Texas A&M could go with grey! I bet both of those would look great too...

temp.png

I see you've stumbled upon one of the main grievances within many of us here at the CCSLC: unnecessary black is bad black. Many teams are doing it just for the sake of doing it, and you've touched upon some great examples. The NFL's Detroit Lions are a more popular example of adding black to a color scheme that simply doesn't need it.

Also, many teams are adding the color for marketing purposes. You can bet that a black jersey will spike merchandise sales.

Also, did they ever go with these?

florida_102.jpg

I think that they added some SOD striping to it on the sides and back.

No, this was a completely different design presented a few years ago back when SOD started...Nike made this, as well as the Ohio State uniforms the Buckeyes still wear...as well as the Syracuse uniform. I just dont think Florida wore this once,

The design they have is just a solid black set with orange numerals and the sod striping...and of course they have the white and blue sets.

temp.png

The Gators have had black alternates since 1999-2000. Originally it was worn just for the Florida-Florida State games, but now they use it more frequently. I can't say I'm happy about it.

DS_133555_s.jpg

FF_184015_s.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The Gators have had black alternates since 1999-2000. Originally it was worn just for the Florida-Florida State games, but now they use it more frequently. I can't say I'm happy about it.

DS_133555_s.jpg

FF_184015_s.jpg

Acutally Florida first created the black uniforms in the fall of 1998, their last year as a Reebok school, to use in their game at Duke (ironically, Duke is the school that started the wearing black when it is not our color trend - starting it's design of the black uniforms as early as 1994/5, though they were not revealed until November 1996).

I could not get over the highlight last night of the UF vs. SC game! Not b/c of the awesome ending, but because Florida seems to have commited to those ugly black jerseys!!

Even the Wildcats of UK have black in the wordrobe now! And nothing was worse than Texas A&M's black jerseys with the black numerals!

That combo of black jerseys, orange numerals and orange and blue trim might be the worst sports uniform I have ever seen. Any reason why teams go with black? Florida could go with Orange, and Texas A&M could go with grey! I bet both of those would look great too...

The black A&M jerseys have maroon numerals. Its just hard to tell on tv....and in person. Seeing how the Ags are 0-2 in the black jerseys this year, I hope they don't wear them ever again.

blackjersey.jpg

Also, did they ever go with these?

florida_102.jpg

All that black...and yet white kicks???

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

What I really hate are the basketball teams with black jerseys and dark numbers. Those Texas A&M blacks, and Kansas State's black jerseys with purple numbers are a good example. I also hate the way black is used in a way that just doesn't look good. I'd be reasonably okay if the uniforms looked good in black, but the Florida jerseys, and a lot of the others look terrible. The black just doesn't match with the blue and orange.

I didn't know about my Gators wearing the black jerseys until I saw the highlight of the last 3-and-change seconds of the game for the first of probably 15-20 times. My reaction was of two thoughts only a fraction of a second apart, which immediately combined into one conclusion.

1 Aw hell...the Gators just got beat. Blew it.

+ 1 WTF? Black? Why are they wearing...oh.

2 Well, that's what they get. It's justice. They

deserved it. Shoulda lost. And now, hopefully those

get mothballed forever. If that's what it takes...

I never wanna see UF lose, unless it's to MTSU by some fluke of a miracle. And I definitely don't want us to lose on a play like that.

But again, if it puts the black look to death, then keep rolling the highlight of how we choked. Burn it into Billy Donovan's memory. Down with black for my UF.

(In other words, I didn't see just how awful fashion-black-creep could be until the double shock hit me personally--the MTSU football blackout, and now seeing Florida hoops in it. Well played, gang. Well played.)

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived