Texas girls hoops team seeks forfeit of 100-0 win

Coast2CoastAM2006

I'm sorry but 100-0 is inexcusible. The fact they played a school that hasn't won a game in 4 years and is mentally disabled should tell you where the mental state of the players are.

No there should not be a mercy rule, but at least some kind of way to get a lower shot-clock so that way there the other team has a shot. Give it some balance. The coach shouldn't be fired, but he should be looked into. Possibly a suspension. Where is the good sportsmanship here, I don't see any in a 100-0 blowout, all I see is someone padding his ego

The players on the losing team weren't whining or complaining about the game's result.

If those that actually played/participated in the 100-point loss weren't complaining, why were those not involved complaining?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry but 100-0 is inexcusible. The fact they played a school that hasn't won a game in 4 years and is mentally disabled should tell you where the mental state of the players are.

No there should not be a mercy rule, but at least some kind of way to get a lower shot-clock so that way there the other team has a shot. Give it some balance. The coach shouldn't be fired, but he should be looked into. Possibly a suspension. Where is the good sportsmanship here, I don't see any in a 100-0 blowout, all I see is someone padding his ego

The players on the losing team weren't whining or complaining about the game's result.

If those that actually played/participated in the 100-point loss weren't complaining, why were those not involved complaining?

Because people need something to bitch about.

OK then....

Why is this school (the losers) still in the Conference at this point? If they refuse to face reality that they are outmatched in the Conference, perhaps their athletic director should be replaced by someone who knows that continuing on this course is not healthy.

I don't think these girls should be kept from participating because of a poor record, or because of a disability. They deserve the right to play and be a part of a team as much as anyone.

Do you really think it's so out of the question for other teams in the conference to exhibit a little sportsmanship? Do you want to be the one to tell these girls that they just aren't good enough to be a play? That they can't put on a uniform and make their parents proud?

I really think people in this thread are arguing just to stir up debate. I can't believe that posters on this board are so devoid of logic and compassion.

This is high school athletics. You know, with cuts and non-guaranteed playing time? Because winning has become more important than letting mommy and daddy see junior get their league-mandated 2 quarters of PT in. If you want to play entirely for fun, start an intramural league. If you want to play competitively, and take the consequences that follow (including 100-0 beatdowns), stay in the high school league.

Honestly, they are trying to run a full-scale athletic department with a pool of 20 girls of varying disabilities. That is practically unworkable at any level, and certainly outside of their current weight class. Either co-op with somebody who has bodies, or get out and play an intramural schedule.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Because people need something to bitch about.

Don't dismiss people like that, it's called debate. There is nothing wrong with feeling passionately about something that doesn't impact you directly.

Sports teams don't ask our opinions about their logos, yet we all find plenty of reasons to argue over them. If you want to engage in the debate, don't accuse people of bitching. Just present your side. Otherwise, stay out of it.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

One team won and one team lost.

You play all-out until the final buzzer.

No, you don't. When you are up 59-0 at halftime, you put in all your bench players, stop shooting 3's and you do not, under any circumstances, use a full court press. In fact, you probably do all of this when you are up 30-0 against a team that has gone winless over the last four seasons.

It's called "class", which apparently you could use some of if that's your real, honest attitude.

Sorry that I was blunt with that post. Yes, you do put in your worst players or players that don't get much playing time after you're up by fifty. But those players still have to play all-out. If I didn't get much playing time and finally got into a game, the last thing I would want my coach to tell me is to not play as hard as I normally would. Maybe you would try to run some new plays, try stuff you normally wouldn't do, but you still play hard.

No, you don't still play hard. When you are up by 80 points, you stop shooting 3's and you let up on them and show some class. Even if it's your first game action of the year, you need to understand you are in the game in order to take your foot off the throttle and do what's right in that situation.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

There are ways to avoid blatantly piling on an opponent. Most teams will just pass around the ball until there's a few seconds left on the shot clock. Keep passing the ball, and if you have to take a shot, make it from just inside the arc.

There's no reason to keep putting up threes when you're up by 30 or more. I see coaches getting mad at players for taking threes with a lead that big.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

One team won and one team lost.

You play all-out until the final buzzer.

No, you don't. When you are up 59-0 at halftime, you put in all your bench players, stop shooting 3's and you do not, under any circumstances, use a full court press. In fact, you probably do all of this when you are up 30-0 against a team that has gone winless over the last four seasons.

It's called "class", which apparently you could use some of if that's your real, honest attitude.

Sorry that I was blunt with that post. Yes, you do put in your worst players or players that don't get much playing time after you're up by fifty. But those players still have to play all-out. If I didn't get much playing time and finally got into a game, the last thing I would want my coach to tell me is to not play as hard as I normally would. Maybe you would try to run some new plays, try stuff you normally wouldn't do, but you still play hard.

No, you don't still play hard. When you are up by 80 points, you stop shooting 3's and you let up on them and show some class. Even if it's your first game action of the year, you need to understand you are in the game in order to take your foot off the throttle and do what's right in that situation.

I think you're (and by that I mean a lot of posters here) confusing "class" with "mercy" there, but I agree with you. To a point.

At no point in any game have I ever heard a coach tell reserve players to let up and not play hard. Why? Because reserve players have to prove their worth. They have to prove that they can make the tough shot in traffic, or hit the wide open three, or run the offense the way the starters run the offense, etc. If they want to continue to see playing time, they can't let up on anyone. No matter the score, no matter the opponent history, you're fighting for a spot over the kid sitting next to you on the bench. I agree that you don't press, you don't run set plays that are designed to hit threes and maybe you play a loose zone defense, but you do not, repeat, do NOT ask a group of kids fighting for roster spots to not play hard.

I, for one, would like to see the game to see exactly how it happened.

The problem I have with this whole story is at least one report says that the one team let up AFTER they scored 100. If they were going to let up at all, they should have done so around halftime. That, plus the coach and the assistant coaches celebrating the win as though it were some sort of major accomplishment, shows a lack of class.

The school put the other team on the schedule. Thats my main issue. If you knew you were going to get clobbered why bother.

In my book its all good. Its like stealing up by 9 runs. Maybe next inning your pitcher gives up 5 now its a game. SO much can happen and kids need to realize that when you play a game you play to win.

If you were going to play for fun you wouldnt have booked a team that would kill you.

Ive seen teams kick a field goal not to be shut out, isnt that the teh same thing on the opp. side of the spectrum they arent quitting and want to make it reasonable when the FG doesnt even matter.

And what are the backups suppose to do not play when its their chance to shine. You gusy who want it both ways, stop playing but dont just give up points. Well sorry thats not how it works.

Who's the bad guy now? How about the media for starting this controversy over nothing in the first place?

In our own words: The Journey to a 100-0 victory

By: Coach Micah Grimes

After counting down the seconds until the final buzzer, I lined up my girls to wish the opposing team well, and then headed into the locker room for our post game rituals. After the girls and I said our goodbyes, I headed home to reflect like I always do after every game. But this was no ordinary game. Little did I know that in the next eight days, Barry Horn would write an article for Dallas Morning News about our 100-0 win over Dallas Academy that would start a firestorm of articles, nationally broadcasted news stories, and hateful email about me and the 8 young ladies that make up the Dallas Covenant School girls basketball team. I?ve always taught my girls to value honesty, integrity, compassion for others and to stand up for those values despite the consequences. So it is for Andi, Savannah, Taylor, Lauren, Wren, Marquita, Blair, Tiffany and our assistant coach Kelly that I tell our story.

The Team. We are hardly the ?elite basketball powerhouse? that we are described as in the National and local media. Up until 3 years ago, we rarely had a winning season. In fact, during my first year at Covenant four years ago, we experienced one of our worst seasons - a losing record of only 2 wins and 19 losses that sunk to an 82-6 low in a game that forever changed us and how we approached the game of basketball. Two years later we made the first Final Four appearance in the school?s history. Like Dallas Academy, Covenant is a small Christian school, which is why we are in the same district. We don?t have a home gym so we rent out facilities or gym space in the community so we can practice, and then watch game film at the home of one of the players. We?ve never had a full roster. Only about 30 high school girls attend Covenant and only 8 of those girls play basketball. During many of the games this year, we played with 6 girls, and sometimes only 5. When players fouled out, we?ve had to finish the game with 4. But we always finished the game.

The Players. Rarely does a coach find a player who will run the extra laps, do the extra push-ups, or shoot the extra baskets without complaining. I have 8 such players?2 freshmen, a sophomore who is new to the school and team, another sophomore who has been with us for two years, two Juniors who have been with us for 3 years, a Senior who is new to the team and school, and another Junior who is new to basketball and is learning how to play for the first time in her life. My girls believe in each other, motivate each other, and see each other as family. The respect and admiration I have for them and their parents are the main reason why I come back to Covenant each year.

The Game. The game started like any other high school basketball game across the nation. The teams warm-up, coaches talk, the ball is tipped, and then the play begins. We started the game off with a full-court press. After 3 minutes into play, we had already reached a 25-0 lead. Like any rational thinking coach would do, I immediately stopped the full-court press, dropped into a 2-3 zone defense, and started subbing in my 3 bench players. This strategy continued for the rest of the game and allowed the Dallas Academy players to get the ball up the court for a chance to score. The second half started with a score of 59-0. Seeing that we would win by too wide of a margin, running down the clock was the only logical course of action left. Contrary to the articles, there were only a total of four 3-point baskets made; three in the first quarter, and only one in the third quarter. I continued to sub in bench players, play zone defense, and run the clock for the rest of the game. We played fair and honorably within the rules and in the presence of the parents, coaches, and athletic directors for both Covenant School and Dallas Academy.

The Apology. In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Website, I respectfully disagree with the apology, especially the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel "embarrassed" or "ashamed". We played the game as it was meant to be played and would not intentionally run up the score on any opponent. Although a wide-margin victory is never evidence of compassion, my girls played with honor and integrity and showed respect to Dallas Academy. We honor God, ourselves, and our families when we step on the court to compete. I do not wish to forfeit the game. What kind of example does it set for our children? Do we really want to punish Covenant School girls? Does forfeiting really help Dallas Academy girls? We experienced a blowout almost 4 years ago and it was painful, but it made us who we are today. I believe in the lessons that sports teach us. Competition builds character, and teaches us to value selflessness, hard work, and perseverance. As a coach, I have instilled in my girls these values. So if I lose my job over these statements, I will walk away with my integrity.

Sincerely,

Micah Grimes

1zgyd8w.jpg

I'd always thought that this whole deal was ludicrous to begin with. I simply don't see how apologizing for winning by a huge margin would not set a "Christlike example". It is not like they intentionally ran up the score. They simply just kept on playing they way they were taught to play.

These girls were not handicapped they have ADD for God's sake. There were a couple of girls on the other team that have ADD too so what. The coach should'nt have lost his job over this. Does anyone know before the game the the coach from Covenant asked the other coach if he was sure that they wanted to play because he knew the dispairity between the two teams and the other coach agreed to still play. This Dallas Academy team should'nt be in the same division with these other schools have you looked at the score of some of their other games. I also saw an article claiming their point guard could'nt even bring the ball up the court dribbling the ball off her own foot for several of the turnovers. Really are you suppose to let somebody score in a high school game because you feel bad for them. It's High School not little league. What happened to staying competitive. This country is raising a bunch of PC wimps. Does anybody know when the coach of Covenant took over his team a few years ago they lost a game 82-6 or something like that and he has worked hard and whipped his team into shape. Why did'nt he whine and complain back then? I think I also heard that the girls from Dallas Academy missed a few foul shots so would it have been any better if they made them if the score was 100-5. C'mon people give me a break with this crap. Sportsmanship is a good thing but is'nt letting someone score just to placate all the little bleeding hearts unsportsmanlike?

This brings a question to mind:

Why do people complain about margin of victory when, say, an open-wheel race winner can sometimes lap the entire field? It's a weird thought, but valid one, I think.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

This brings a question to mind:

Why do people complain about margin of victory when, say, an open-wheel race winner can sometimes lap the entire field? It's a weird thought, but valid one, I think.

That's professional, though. If this had happened in the NBA, no one would give a rat's @$$.

But this was a high school game, which makes it a little more sensitive. I personally think they should've let up some more, but it's not like they intentionally poured it on. And the school says he got fired for going behind them and talking to the media, not for running up the score. Kind of seems like they're using that as an excuse to get rid of him and make it look like that lopsided win wasn't what they wanted. Basically, covering their own @$$es.

Archived