76ers going back to old logo and uniforms

Ripper

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and the Wizards should follow the same order and go back to the bullets

I don't think the league would allow them to rename themselves to something that easily relates to gang violence. Plus, the Wizards is a cool name.

About time! The current Sixers logo with the black and gold is brutal on the eyes.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I was a fan of the uniforms worn by the 76ers in the mid-90s during the Jerry Stackhouse-era.

These ones --> stackhouse_170.jpg

no these

moses-malone2.jpg

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

About time! The current Sixers logo with the black and gold is brutal on the eyes.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I was a fan of the uniforms worn by the 76ers in the mid-90s during the Jerry Stackhouse-era.

These ones --> stackhouse_170.jpg

I second that emotion.

Despite the number of blue and red teams in the league, I think the 76ers should return to those colors. I agree with AAO about creating a lasting identity and sticking with it, something the 76ers are obviously not looking to do. While it was probably a mistake to change their colors and use excessive black or graphite (whatever you wanna call the dark shade they use), they got a nice logo out of the rebrand and I think with a simple recolor of it and their current uniforms they can have a long lasting ID.

I'd much rather see the rookie AI set return than the Barkley-Moses set. Considering which one they're pushing, though, I figure it'll be the latter.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

and the Wizards should follow the same order and go back to the bullets

I don't think the league would allow them to rename themselves to something that easily relates to gang violence. Plus, the Wizards is a cool name.

Wizards is a cool name.....for a 13 year olds rec league. the stripping of the bullets name was so lame. problem in DC with gang violence? fix the problem with gang violence.

"hey, my favorite local pro basketball team is called the bullets. hence, i ca load this gun with these bullets, and kill somebody. no court would convict me!"

no self respecting gang banger would be caught dead in any washington dc nba jersey, bullets or wizards, anyways. they sucked.

I know we're all secretly hoping the sixers whip these bad boys out for just one night

barkley.jpg

Ahh yes, the Manute Bol-era unis. ^_^

And off-topic: Why's Sir Charles wearing #32 in this pic? -- I always thought he was 34 in Philly.

6uXNWAo.png

And off-topic: Why's Sir Charles wearing #32 in this pic? -- I always thought he was 34 in Philly.

His last year there he wore 32 to honor Magic Johnson, who retired due to HIV that year.

philly.png

"hey, my favorite local pro basketball team is called the bullets. hence, i can load this gun with these bullets, and kill somebody. no court would convict me!"

Big lols.

Nobody seems to have a consensus on why the Bullets changed names. Some people say it was the DC gang violence thing, some people say Abe Pollin was so distraught over Yitzhak Rabin's assassination that he couldn't have a team called the Bullets, some people say the NBA kinda eased them into it because by the mid-'90s you couldn't pay people to get Washington Bullets merchandise. I suppose it could be a little of all three. I'd still prefer the Bullets name back. Wizards is a horrible and dopey name, associated with nothing but Michael's failed comeback and otherwise low-profile futility. The Bullets...well, I don't suppose their history is appreciably better, they might've won a championship in the '70s back when the NBA kinda sucked and that mediocre Golden State Warriors team won it all, but at least it has history. The Bullets really did have an awful and generic identity, though. I haven't figured out how to make it compelling.

Orrrrrr we could dig further back and rename them the Washington Zephyrs. Call 'em the Z's for short. Does the Potomac area get a lot of gentle west winds?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Sixers would do well to pull a "Detroit Pistons," recolor their current logo to red/white/blue, and change to uniforms that aren't direct copies of the Dr. J era, but borrow heavily from that aesthetic.

If their current red alternate can survive the tweaks, I would not mind, either.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Archived