76ers going back to old logo and uniforms

Ripper

The way people around here are always going "[insert team here] should go back to..." I'm surprised half the board hasn't ejaculated at the sound of this.

So says the guy named "BringBackTheVet".... :blink:

LOL. I actually did think about that. Maybe it's time for a change...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"hey, my favorite local pro basketball team is called the bullets. hence, i can load this gun with these bullets, and kill somebody. no court would convict me!"

Big lols.

Nobody seems to have a consensus on why the Bullets changed names. Some people say it was the DC gang violence thing, some people say Abe Pollin was so distraught over Yitzhak Rabin's assassination that he couldn't have a team called the Bullets, some people say the NBA kinda eased them into it because by the mid-'90s you couldn't pay people to get Washington Bullets merchandise. I suppose it could be a little of all three. I'd still prefer the Bullets name back. Wizards is a horrible and dopey name, associated with nothing but Michael's failed comeback and otherwise low-profile futility. The Bullets...well, I don't suppose their history is appreciably better, they might've won a championship in the '70s back when the NBA kinda sucked and that mediocre Golden State Warriors team won it all, but at least it has history. The Bullets really did have an awful and generic identity, though. I haven't figured out how to make it compelling.

Orrrrrr we could dig further back and rename them the Washington Zephyrs. Call 'em the Z's for short. Does the Potomac area get a lot of gentle west winds?

Of course, historically they were the BALTIMORE BULLETS years before they moved to the immediate Washington D.C. area.

Personally, I've always preferred the Wizards nickname, as Washington Wizards flows off the tongue much better than Washington Bullets.

And I've always found it amazing that the same folks who get "up in arms" over the Utah Jazz and New Orleans Hornets nicknames never make the same connection with the Washington franchise's name.

I know, I know, that many will say that Baltimore/Washington area is one big media market, but I dare you to bring that up to folks from either area. There's a reason Ravens fans hate the Redskins and vice versa. This was one of the first things I learned when I lived in the area about a decade ago: there is a definite rivalry between the two cities; it's why moving the Expos to Washington was a long-term smart move for MLB (which needs as many regional rivalries like this as possible; it's part of what makes interleague play work).

Going back on topic for a moment, I've always preferred the original 76ers logo, but liked the more recent uniforms much better than the traditional gear. I'd love to see the Sixers embrace an updated version of the old logo (and it should be updated slightly), but keep the more modern look of the current uniform set.

Sadly, it sounds like they're going to go the full retro look, something that is becoming as bad and prevalent as the "add Black" trend from last decade's new uniform sets.

I don't mind the minimalist block numerals -- just make them right!

The letters and numbers of the current retro uniforms are too small!

The letters and numbers were adjusted in the latter years of this set (think Barkley years). The letters and numbers on the current "throwback" are more early-'80s Moses / Doc. era. I would at least hope that they'd go with the more standardized set from the Charles era when they make this change.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

About time! The current Sixers logo with the black and gold is brutal on the eyes.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I was a fan of the uniforms worn by the 76ers in the mid-90s during the Jerry Stackhouse-era.

These ones --> stackhouse_170.jpg

I'll second that motion....I for one loved those uni's and would love for them to wear them again...

I for one, find this to be great news. I love those uniforms and the old logo. Hopefully this will be the end of Hip-Hop

:blink:

(Also, you know old school jerseys are big in Hip Hop right?)

Ok, well I hate the trend to Red-Blue-ize every team in the world. I think that while they were a bit dated, the Sixers current set is at least an identity that has stuck around for a little while. That being said, the ones they're switching to are incredibly sharp. So this is one where I'll have to settle with the fact that they were a Red-Blue team before they were a Black-Gold-White-Blue-Red-Teal team.

I like the switch.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

I for one, find this to be great news. I love those uniforms and the old logo. Hopefully this will be the end of Hip-Hop

:blink:

(Also, you know old school jerseys are big in Hip Hop right?)

Hip Hop = the Sixers deranged rabbit mascot.

hiphopx500.jpg

No surprise here.

Honestly, I didn't even think they'd announce anything. They've totally ditched the old logo and just use the old school one. Even their web site is themed around the old school design.

Personally I think this is a bad move. The old set will be "cool" for a few years and then they're going to have to re-brand again. In my opinion they have a fresh clean set now and I think they're new logo looks pretty sharp. The current wordmark is much better and the whole set has some neat feel to it. The old one is unoriginal and seems very generic, which is cool for a throwback but now the Sixers need a modern look, like they have.

Bad move on their part, IMO.

For the record, I'm a fan of the wide-shouldered set that they had before tinkerinig with the stripes last season.

I'd rather them have kept that home white jersey, elevated the blue to primary road, and use the PHILA-red as the alt. Their addition of black never bothered me much - only it's use as a primary jersey color.

"hey, my favorite local pro basketball team is called the bullets. hence, i can load this gun with these bullets, and kill somebody. no court would convict me!"

Big lols.

Nobody seems to have a consensus on why the Bullets changed names. Some people say it was the DC gang violence thing, some people say Abe Pollin was so distraught over Yitzhak Rabin's assassination that he couldn't have a team called the Bullets, some people say the NBA kinda eased them into it because by the mid-'90s you couldn't pay people to get Washington Bullets merchandise. I suppose it could be a little of all three. I'd still prefer the Bullets name back. Wizards is a horrible and dopey name, associated with nothing but Michael's failed comeback and otherwise low-profile futility. The Bullets...well, I don't suppose their history is appreciably better, they might've won a championship in the '70s back when the NBA kinda sucked and that mediocre Golden State Warriors team won it all, but at least it has history. The Bullets really did have an awful and generic identity, though. I haven't figured out how to make it compelling.

Orrrrrr we could dig further back and rename them the Washington Zephyrs. Call 'em the Z's for short. Does the Potomac area get a lot of gentle west winds?

Of course, historically they were the BALTIMORE BULLETS years before they moved to the immediate Washington D.C. area.

Personally, I've always preferred the Wizards nickname, as Washington Wizards flows off the tongue much better than Washington Bullets.

And I've always found it amazing that the same folks who get "up in arms" over the Utah Jazz and New Orleans Hornets nicknames never make the same connection with the Washington franchise's name.

I know, I know, that many will say that Baltimore/Washington area is one big media market, but I dare you to bring that up to folks from either area. There's a reason Ravens fans hate the Redskins and vice versa. This was one of the first things I learned when I lived in the area about a decade ago: there is a definite rivalry between the two cities; it's why moving the Expos to Washington was a long-term smart move for MLB (which needs as many regional rivalries like this as possible; it's part of what makes interleague play work).

Going back on topic for a moment, I've always preferred the original 76ers logo, but liked the more recent uniforms much better than the traditional gear. I'd love to see the Sixers embrace an updated version of the old logo (and it should be updated slightly), but keep the more modern look of the current uniform set.

Sadly, it sounds like they're going to go the full retro look, something that is becoming as bad and prevalent as the "add Black" trend from last decade's new uniform sets.

redskin fans don't care about ravens fans... its a one sided "rivalry"

I like this move. Was definately time for a change back to red white and blue. However, dont be surprised if, in a few years, you see them go the route of the Caps/Pistons and update to a more modern version of the old school look. Also, dont be surprised if they eventually come back with a blue alternate PHILA jersey too.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

The old look is definitely an update over the eyesores they've been wearing, but that in itself isn't saying much.

In the end this just means they're going from a bad uniform/logo set to a mediocre uniform/logo set.

Um...considering the source, do we know this is the case?

Sixers 4 Guidos?

Really?

Guido sources A reader emailed me that, I?m trying to learn more details but as for now that is more than enough I think, if you remember how much this site and all of you who signed my ?Bring the old Sixers? uniforms back !? petition (around 130 fans/readers) care about this topic.

I'm sorry...that doesn't quite do it for me.

But yes, I prefer the older logo, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be tweaked a bit...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Does anyone know how much it costs to create a new logo in the NBA? Could that be one of the detriments, in some cases, as to why teams do not create new logos altogether? A few recent examples: Hawks, Nuggets, Bucks, Raptors, and Wizards.

I've heard 250k-500k to change a primary logo(major change), it may also have to do with how close to the upcoming season they want to make the change. This is why a lot of teams have added new secondary logos and re-colored existing primaries. i.e. Hawks, T-Wolves

Archived