76ers going back to old logo and uniforms

Ripper

Interesting nugget in today's Uni Watch:
According to this story, the Sixers will be switching to their 1982-83 uni design next season. But I?ve seen next season?s Sixers jersey, and I can tell you that it?s not quite as simple as an ?82-?83 throwback. Sorry, can?t tell you more, but I just wanted to say that the story as stated on that page isn?t quite accurate.

Even better, isn't that what all of us are saying, "back to red white and blue is great, but it should be updated?"

Sounds like that's the case...

Of course, given the way the Sixers have screwed things up...it's probably a black version of the '83 roads!

Seriously though it sounds more like a Pistons or Chargers style update.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just hope it's an updated version of their old logo without unpleasant surprises. Their old one is really outdated.

The current one they do use is more outdated. That reeks of mid-90s garishness. The zeitgeist has come full circle, and the '83 logo looks fresh, clean and simple now. No curved font, no goofy ball motion swoop, and no BLACK! Thank the maker. The Iverson era is dead. Long live the future.

Actually, it's just another example of a team slapping a wordmark (with a curvy font, BTW) inside a basketball and calling it a day. The NBA, as a league, has some of the laziest design for its team identites out there - how much of that is courtesy of the 6-figure fine levied by the league for altering your logo too much, I don't know. But there's no other pro sport in America - with the possible exception of lacrosse - whose teams' logos are so dependent on the equipment of their sport.

The only redeeming aspect I find in the Sixers' old logo is the ring of thirteen stars. Outside of that, dated garbage. Not to say that the current look is going gangbusters, either, but this just strikes me as a lateral move more than an improvement.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

About time! The current Sixers logo with the black and gold is brutal on the eyes.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I was a fan of the uniforms worn by the 76ers in the mid-90s during the Jerry Stackhouse-era.

These ones --> stackhouse_170.jpg

Add me to the list.

And in addition, I think the home unis looked even better...

ai_rookie.jpg

(Yep, that's really A.I.)

Wait, A.I. on the Sixers? Aren't you referring to Andre Iguodala? ^_^

VmWIn6B.png

Actually, it's just another example of a team slapping a wordmark (with a curvy font, BTW) inside a basketball and calling it a day. The NBA, as a league, has some of the laziest design for its team identites out there - how much of that is courtesy of the 6-figure fine levied by the league for altering your logo too much, I don't know.

But the current logo is slapping a wordmark down without even using a basketball; seems even worse.

Although the worst offender of "wordmark in a basketball" has to be the Pistons - on their current version they just removed the geometry that made the classic logo fairly interesting (an en face piston in a cylinder) and made it a generic wordmark on a ball...

Is there any real reason for the logo change price? It surely does stifle design, the recolors are so boring. What is the last new logo we saw? Grizzlies?

I for one, find this to be great news. I love those uniforms and the old logo. Hopefully this will be the end of Hip-Hop

:blink:

(Also, you know old school jerseys are big in Hip Hop right?)

Hip Hop = the Sixers deranged rabbit mascot.

hiphopx500.jpg

...why is he wearing batting gloves?

The Phillies play nearby. :)

I for one, find this to be great news. I love those uniforms and the old logo. Hopefully this will be the end of Hip-Hop

hiphopx500.jpg

...how does that explain anything? The Celtics and Bruins share the TD Banknorth Garden but you don't see Lucky the Leprechaun in fricken ice skates.

hiphopx500.jpg

...how does that explain anything? The Celtics and Bruins share the TD Banknorth Garden but you don't see Lucky the Leprechaun in fricken ice skates.

I thought that's a mouse...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the love for the Stackhouse-era duds. I think they're incredibly uninteresting and they represent an era where the Sixer franchise was essentially invisible.

At least these 80s ones have some history, being identifiable with the Sixers' last great era and most of the better players associated with the franchise. I do think these retros

look a little funny though; like they don't have the scale quite right or something. I hope they get that right. Maybe a slight modernization is in order.

I don't agree with the notion that going to an older look represents a step backwards, purely because they changed the look at some point. I like to look at it as righting some wrongs (see: Barkley in #32, the all-blacks).

Did people complain when the Jets went back to the Namath-era duds after 20 years with the green helmet? Seems like that was a popular decision. Now over a decade later and everyone's pretty much forgot about the Ken O'Brien/Al Toon threads.

I'm partial to these Phila unis:

chamberlain.jpg

I'd like to see a red, a white, and a blue uniform -- the red being the 1971/2 PHILA jersey, the white being the 1983 SIXERS jersey, and the blue being the 1979 uniform (with the San Diego Padres numbers!!!) with the stars down the sides of the jersey and shorts with either SIXERS or the entire word PHILADELPHIA on the front.

About time! The current Sixers logo with the black and gold is brutal on the eyes.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I was a fan of the uniforms worn by the 76ers in the mid-90s during the Jerry Stackhouse-era.

Add me to the list.

ai_rookie.jpg

I agree, these were the best jerseys Philly had, with 2nd place going to the red ones with the stars streaming down off of the S.

BarkleyMagic.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Add me to the list.

ai_rookie.jpg

I agree, these were the best jerseys Philly had, with 2nd place going to the red ones with the stars streaming down off of the S.

BarkleyMagic.jpg

Wow. I'm not sure I could disagree more with you (on either one) if you said that 2 + 2 = 5.

Frankly, I don't think the Sixers have ever really had any "great" uniforms. Their '80s ones were certainly clean and classy, but they're also very indisinctive (if that's a word) and... well old. I was a fan of the current whites (before the piping switch last year) but not the blacks. If they went with the blue or red as the road, then I'd vote for this set being their best.

Since they have to change, I really hope that they do something like the Pistons with their '80s set, and not just be lazy and use the throwbacks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Frankly, I don't think the Sixers have ever really had any "great" uniforms. Their '80s ones were certainly clean and classy, but they're also very indisinctive (if that's a word) and... well old. I was a fan of the current whites (before the piping switch last year) but not the blacks. If they went with the blue or red as the road, then I'd vote for this set being their best.

Since they have to change, I really hope that they do something like the Pistons with their '80s set, and not just be lazy and use the throwbacks.

I think they really missed an opportunity when they updated the blacks - they could have simply replaced the black with blue and had a very solid set. That black from this set sure didn't last long.

Sixers have alternated between red and blue roads for eternity - the alternate jersey craze was MADE for them, but they've only had a black primary and continued to waver between red and blue alts!

Archived