76ers going back to old logo and uniforms

Ripper

About time! The current Sixers logo with the black and gold is brutal on the eyes.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I was a fan of the uniforms worn by the 76ers in the mid-90s during the Jerry Stackhouse-era.

These ones --> stackhouse_170.jpg

i agree! go back to those!

BEST UNIS EVER!!!!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a question for everybody...

As some of you know (or not), I am one of those who thinks it is absoutely positively 100% completely wrong, stupid, terrible, and stupid (again) for the Patriots to ever wear a red jersey.

Yet as a Sixers fan, I never really had a problem with it... but I'm thinking that I should.

Maybe that's just because I'm used to it since they always wore red when I was growing up, but I'm starting to think that I need to hold them to the same standard that I hold the Patriots to, since their names are direct references to the US's revolutionary era.

Discuss.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As some of you know (or not), I am one of those who thinks it is absoutely positively 100% completely wrong, stupid, terrible, and stupid (again) for the Patriots to ever wear a red jersey.

Yet as a Sixers fan, I never really had a problem with it... but I'm thinking that I should.

Maybe that's just because I'm used to it since they always wore red when I was growing up, but I'm starting to think that I need to hold them to the same standard that I hold the Patriots to, since their names are direct references to the US's revolutionary era.

Discuss.

Nope. The Sixers name is a reference to the United States through the date of it's founding. It's not necessarily a direct reference to the Revolutionary War. I mean, it is and it isn't. It's the date the DOI was signed. To me it's simply patriotic.

The Patriots on the other hand draw their identity directly from the American soldiers.

To me there's a difference.

Discuss.

Nope. The Sixers name is a reference to the United States through the date of it's founding. It's not necessarily a direct reference to the Revolutionary War. I mean, it is and it isn't. It's the date the DOI was signed. To me it's simply patriotic.

The Patriots on the other hand draw their identity directly from the American soldiers.

They should both wear red. :P

Discuss.

I think you could argue it just as well or better the other way around - Patriots is a far more general term than 76ers; people are patriots today, but 76ers refers to people at the time of the Revolution. It's not like 49ers refers to California in general; it refers specifically to the gold rush era.

Discuss.

I think you could argue it just as well or better the other way around - Patriots is a far more general term than 76ers; people are patriots today, but 76ers refers to people at the time of the Revolution. It's not like 49ers refers to California in general; it refers specifically to the gold rush era.

Yes, but their identity is based around a tri-cornered hat and Pat the Patriot, who appears to be a revolutionary-era soldier.

I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with STL, and here's my reason. If the team name was something like "Philadelphia 1976" (think Soccer style), then I think you'd have a point. But since it is "76ers", I think it is intended to "honor" those who took part in the events of that era. It's just a technicality though - I still haven't taken a side yet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yes, but their identity is based around a tri-cornered hat and Pat the Patriot, who appears to be a revolutionary-era soldier.

I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with STL, and here's my reason. If the team name was something like "Philadelphia 1976" (think Soccer style), then I think you'd have a point. But since it is "76ers", I think it is intended to "honor" those who took part in the events of that era. It's just a technicality though - I still haven't taken a side yet.

I agree, my argument was based solely on the team names - certainly the Patriots in their brand identity have been more closely tied to the revolution, even if their name itself is less specific. But, the 76ers use of 13 stars in a circle like the Betsy Ross flag or whatever, that's a fairly strong use of revolutionary imagery also - I don't think the 76ers are tied to the era any less than the Pats are.

I agree, my argument was based solely on the team names - certainly the Patriots in their brand identity have been more closely tied to the revolution, even if their name itself is less specific. But, the 76ers use of 13 stars in a circle like the Betsy Ross flag or whatever, that's a fairly strong use of revolutionary imagery also - I don't think the 76ers are tied to the era any less than the Pats are.

Right. I forgot about the 13 stars - that would have made expressing my point a lot easier!

While I understand people's argument for the Patriots not wearing red jerseys, I think it's a weak argument for either the Patriots or Sixers based on two facts about this country. While the British wore red coats while fighting, people forget the simple fact that red is a more predominant color on the U.S. flag, there's more of it than blue and when we refer to the flag or the country colors we use the term RED, white, and blue.

My No Red Jersey rule that I apply to the New England Patriots makes just as much sense for the Philadelphia 76ers, IMO. Blue all the way.

I understand STL's point, but historically speaking Goth is right. You're going to have a hard time separating the Declaration of Independence from the Revolutionary War.

While I understand people's argument for the Patriots not wearing red jerseys, I think it's a weak argument for either the Patriots or Sixers based on two facts about this country. While the British wore red coats while fighting, people forget the simple fact that red is a more predominant color on the U.S. flag, there's more of it than blue and when we refer to the flag or the country colors we use the term RED, white, and blue.

Here's the argument;

If a team has a purely "patriotic" name like Federals, Nationals, Capitals, whatever, then red works fine as a primary jersey colour. Red even works for Team USA national jerseys.

If the a team's name specifically references the American side of the Revolutionary War, then red should be off limits as a primary jersey colour because red was the primary colour of the uniform of the enemy soldiers the Americans were fighting, the British red coats.

"76ers" clearly references the signing of the DoI and thus the American Revolution. The name "Patriots" could go either way, but the team has been consistent in its imagery that they are named after the American soldiers of the Revolution.

My No Red Jersey rule that I apply to the New England Patriots makes just as much sense for the Philadelphia 76ers, IMO. Blue all the way.

I understand STL's point, but historically speaking Goth is right. You're going to have a hard time separating the Declaration of Independence from the Revolutionary War.

Here's the argument;

If a team has a purely "patriotic" name like Federals, Nationals, Capitals, whatever, then red works fine as a primary jersey colour. Red even works for Team USA national jerseys.

If the a team's name specifically references the American side of the Revolutionary War, then red should be off limits as a primary jersey colour because red was the primary colour of the uniform of the enemy soldiers the Americans were fighting, the British red coats.

"76ers" clearly references the signing of the DoI and thus the American Revolution. The name "Patriots" could go either way, but the team has been consistent in its imagery that they are named after the American soldiers of the Revolution.

That's pretty much my stance too, which is a shame because I've never really minded the Sixers in red until this all dawned on me. I think I have a problem with it now, and have to hope that they go blue (which is very unlikely.) Oh well - I'm not going to lose (much) sleep over it.

• 2 months later...
i wonder if this is part of the new set:

Odd... there's a photo gallery from his news conference on-line, but that photo wasn't part of it. Not sure where that came from, but considering it's obviously not a throwback jersey (wide sleeves, plus they never had blue lettering with that jersey) I'd say that's likely the new one.

Shame that they didn't clean up the number font. They're trying too hard to be retro here. Other than that, I'm glad it's blue letters and numbers instead of white.

Archived