NC State coach Kay Yow dies.

sacker12

I don't see the LOLz or HAHAHAHA or anything. I think he was just making a point. Sure, he could have worded it a bit better, but there's no need to get sore over it or anything.

Kay Yow's passing is an extremely sad story. I have seen people succumb to cancer and I've seen people beat it, but I don't remember anyone (at least in sports) being hit so hard so often by the dreaded disease. She fought like hell, but it just always came back...and eventually, it just wore her out.

I hope anyone who has the misfortune of being diagnosed with cancer can learn from Kay Yow's strength and determination. May Coach Kay rest in peace.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

A mural in N.C. State University's Free Expression Tunnel to honor women's basketball coach Kay Yow, who died Jan. 24 after a long struggle with breast cancer, was defaced Saturday with blue paint and offensive language. A blue mustache and the phrase "cancer rules" were added to the painting, which shows a portrait of Yow against a pink background. The graffiti was removed and the mural restored by early Sunday morning, but the incident did not sit well with students.

Whoever did this should be shot in the face

A mural in N.C. State University's Free Expression Tunnel to honor women's basketball coach Kay Yow, who died Jan. 24 after a long struggle with breast cancer, was defaced Saturday with blue paint and offensive language. A blue mustache and the phrase "cancer rules" were added to the painting, which shows a portrait of Yow against a pink background. The graffiti was removed and the mural restored by early Sunday morning, but the incident did not sit well with students.

Whoever did this has absolutely no self-dignity or any type of meaningful life whatsoever.

Whoever did this has absolutely no self-dignity or any type of meaningful life whatsoever.

Shame on this person. What a horrible, disrespectful act.

I know I didn't post on this earlier, but I still want to express my condolences. A very strong, powerful, successful woman was lost, and I know she will be greatly missed by many. RIP Coach Kay.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Here is the article:

N.C. State Free Expression Tunnel defaced with remarks about cancer

By James Cox

February 01, 2009

Source: Technician, N.C. State

At 3:30 Sunday morning, North Carolina State University Student Body President Jay Dawkins and Student Senate President Pro Tempore Kelli Rogers began to repaint sections of the Free Expression Tunnel after a University of North Carolina fan painted remarks about cancer in the tunnel.

The mural of Coach Kay Yow on the tunnel was defaced with a light blue mustache and several phrases were painted on the tunnel wall, including

"Cancer rules, f*** pink, fall forward k-o and life could be worse you could be a cancer patient."

Students were disgusted by the writings.

Sam Thomas, a sophomore in computer science, said he didn't have words to describe his emotions.

"This was totally uncalled for," he said.

Dawkins said the painting of the memorial was hurtful.

Rogers said she couldn't tell if the author was an actual Carolina student, but the writer was a North Carolina fan.

However, Dawkins, a junior in engineering, said the acts are not representative of the entire UNC campus or fan base, but did say the actions were completely uncalled for.

"The people who said these things have no class. We should encourage rivalry, but above all we are all students and people," he said.

Thomas doesn't think that the authors felt the same way.

"This just hits home, it's more than racist," he said.

Dawkins said the actions were a result of rivalry that got out of hand.

"What was said was in many ways inhuman. While rivalry is great, this just went too far," he said.

Rogers, a junior in political science, didn't realize how difficult it was to make the Yow mural until she had to do repairs to it, saying the people who did it the first time were amazing.

"I really wish I could make it look as pretty as it did before. It frustrates me some idiot had to mess it up," Rogers said.

The nature of the Free Expression Tunnel, Rogers said, is for students to express their opinions but she wished things like this didn't happen.

"There is always going to be a jerk who comes through here and write offensive material," she said.

Both Dawkins and Rogers advised students to do the same thing they were doing -- paint over the offensive material with material they want to see.

The remarks written about Yow in the tunnel touched many personally on campus.

"Everyone knows someone with cancer, I myself have seen my sister fight it twice. Seeing 'cancer rules' really hits close to home," Dawkins said.

Throughout the repainting, students came to help after hearing the news.

"I'm glad to see N.C. State students protecting the Free Expression Tunnel by painting over stuff they don't like," Rogers said.

Captain John Barnwell of Campus Police declined comment, saying issues relating to the Free Expression Tunnel are a "University issue."

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Wow. That's horrible.

I'm ashamed to be a fan of NC State.(If it was a State student)

It wasn't.

Read next time.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Whoever did this should be shot in the face

I know that this is the Internet and so we pretty much have to play Outrage Olympics, but come on. Think before you speak. You're not the Boondock Saints or something, shooting people in the face for all that is right.

On a related note of thinking before doing, too bad these knuckleheads didn't. Let's hope it doesn't escalate into some dueling vandalism. Oh well. Nothing brings out the uneducated like college sports, it always seems.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived