"Classic" is a misnomer

wdm1219inpenna

Kind of like AMC (American Movie Classics, I think). Some of the movies are not classics in my book, but so be it.

I think they've sort of steered themselves toward "America's Movie Channel." Kinda had to when they started showing Joe vs. the Volcano or some crap like that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The context that I'm more annoyed by is when "Classic" is used in the names of brand new tournaments. For instance, there's a Thanksgiving college basketball tournament called the Anaheim Classic (now the 76 Classic) that's only been around for two years. That's not nearly enough time to be deemed a "Classic."

VmWIn6B.png

Yes, I do indeed consider the 1975 & 1991 World Series both to be classics, and I'm grateful that I was alive and able to witness both of them played.

As for wanting some kind of Sports "God", no, I do not mean to imply that. My main argument was and is, that the word "classic" gets overused, and thus, waters down the meaning of the word.

As for the football game mentioned, and for other items that are, or were deemed "instant classics", I would prefer the label "future classics". Instant & classic contradict to me. I hope I was able to clarify, and apologize for not listing each and every single World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup Finals, Olympic Games, etc.

Aw, I liked the way "Coca-Cola Classic" sounded. And tasted! Not always, because Diet Coke is a perfectly acceptable alternative with its own different albeit enjoyable taste, but every now and then, a classic Coke on a really hot day? Awwww that's a somethin'.

According to the report, Steckhan said removing the word may enhance appeal to younger consumers, since "some people interpreted it like a vintage car." Removing "Classic" "may take one source of confusion away" about Coke's contemporary qualities, he said.

I hope one day I get paid to say things like this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

An instant classic is Federer vs. Nadal in the 2008 Wimbledon Final.

I know it's not baseball but just giving an example of a true instant classic.

How about another instant classic? Federer vs Nadal in the 2009 Australian Open Final. Going to the 5th set.

EDIT: Well, not quite....

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived