Lions uniform changes

Proc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I really the only one who sees this....

...as a rip-off of this?

This could get interesting...

Why? That's not the logo they're going with - just some entry to a newspaper contest.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Lions have had a few shades of Honolulu Blue....has each shade been given a different sub name?

If not, they they could have darkened the color up a bit and still have it be "Honolulu" Blue....or not?

Honestly asking because I'm a n00b at this stuff. B)

A quick history of the Lions' Blue...

1934 through 1947, 1949 through 1964 (in 1948, the Lions' colors were Scarlet Red, Black and White):

DetroitLionsBlue_1964_SOL_SRGB.png

1965 through 1979:

DetroitLionsBlue_1979_SOL_SRGB.png

1980 through 1996:

DetroitLionsBlue_1996_SOL_SRGB.png

1997 through 2001:

DetroitLionsBlue_2001_SOL_SRGB.png

To be continued...

2002 through present:

DetroitLionsBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Keep in mind, these colors are representative of the Lions' Honolulu Blue in print.

The NFL has only been specifying fabric/textile colors since 1997. Here's what I have:

1997 through 2001:

DetroitLionsBlue_2001_TEX_SRGB.png

2002 through present:

DetroitLionsBlue_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

Not bad. I prefered these ones over it:

fde4ed4ae15138b233c5773c.jpg

Jacksonville Jaguars Unused Logo

605.gif

That's actually GhettoFarmBoy's concept.

Sheesh! haha, do you people ever travel into the concepts section... you could have read the whole explanation there...

FYI, I'm not sucking sour grapes because I know how these contests are (the Colts one from last year), but when I get comments like these it just makes my day...

Posted by grizzlygodly on 03/10/09 at 11:01PM

There was a totally under-rated Detroit News submission about half way thru the stack--the artist re-imagined the vintage vertical stripes & had a truly leaping lion in profile, even had some sharp claws & fang-filled mouth but the classic styling really captured the sense of the Lions as one of the NFL's original team--tradition & history never go out of style. These contests are always chaotic but there were definitely some nice efforts scattered throughout.

And now, its time for the Fords' latest "think tank" to needlessly preen the logo & colors . . .

God speed you, Lew-Hew.

And no offense to Zelley, but I just cannot force myself to like that logo... oh well!

So am I the only one upset that the black is remaining as a team color? I really wanted them to go back to plain ol' blue and silver, this was their one chance to do it, and now it will never happen.

No, you are by no means the only one. My guess is the Lions believed dropping the black this soon would be too much like admitting adding it was a mistake.

So am I the only one upset that the black is remaining as a team color? I really wanted them to go back to plain ol' blue and silver, this was their one chance to do it, and now it will never happen.

No, you are by no means the only one. My guess is the Lions believed dropping the black this soon would be too much like admitting adding it was a mistake.

Yeah. I love the combination of blue and silver, but the addition of black ruins it. Well I wouldn't say ruins it... but there are just so many blue/black/silver teams now, that I'm itching to see just a blue and silver team in pro sports.

Is the black really staying on the uni's or is just on the outline of the Lion logo? I'm not sure I have heard anybody say this for sure. Maybe it'll be just like the Chiefs with the black outline around their logo but no black anywhwere else on the unis, I hope.

According to ColorWerx, the colors aren't changing which seems to mean that the black stays. :cursing:

OR, the colors are staying the same, but that doesn't mean they are KEEPING them all! haHA!

<_<

Hey, I can dream can't I?

And CW, thanks for posting the color samples for the Lions use of Honolulu Blue, it's much appreciated!

I still wish/hope that they would darken the blue slightly to the throwback shade, but oh well.

fde4ed4ae15138b233c5773c.jpg

Now that logo is amazing!!!!

Yes, but it's also a rip-off of the initial Jacksonville mark.

I beginning to suspect there's very little in the way of original thought being bandied about on the Lions' mark.

Of course, since it's already been updated, it's a moot point.

Archived