Lions uniform changes

Proc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone want to explain to me why people are arguing over a fan-submitted logo in a "just for fun" contest?

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

The Detroit News posted the winner in its Lions logo contest.

Detroit News Lions Logo Contest Winner(s)

Winning entry:LionsWinningLogo.jpg

HA! I knew this had an influence from somewhere.

PointLomaNazareneSeaLions.GIF

Why are we so quick to accuse plagiarism? I don't love the Lions logo but come on, it hardly looks like that Sea Lions logo.

Yeah, and Vanilla Ice didn't rip off Queen/Bowie.

So if you created the Sea Lions logo and went to court against the creator of this Lions logo, you think you would have a real chance at winning? I do not doubt that the creator was influenced at least a little by the Sea Lion, in a few of the shapes (specifically that point in each of the paws, the shoulder, and the pose of the lion, but even that is different and you can't trademark a pose) specifically, but they are so minor and somewhat different from the original and the rest is SO much different, it just doesn't come close to plagiarism. If you flipped either one horizontally you would not be able to see a resemblance, especially in the face area. I cannot stress this enough. You can be as snarky and clever about it as you want, but it's just not there.

Are you serious? IMO that court case would be a slam dunk victory for the Sea Lions designer.

It wouldn't be a slam dunk victory because the Detroit Lions logo in question was only designed by a fan for a local newspaper contest. It's not being used by the Detroit Lions in any capacity, and as far as we know the designer isn't using it to sell merchandise.

The Detroit News posted the winner in its Lions logo contest.

Detroit News Lions Logo Contest Winner(s)

Winning entry:LionsWinningLogo.jpg

HA! I knew this had an influence from somewhere.

PointLomaNazareneSeaLions.GIF

Why are we so quick to accuse plagiarism? I don't love the Lions logo but come on, it hardly looks like that Sea Lions logo.

Yeah, and Vanilla Ice didn't rip off Queen/Bowie.

So if you created the Sea Lions logo and went to court against the creator of this Lions logo, you think you would have a real chance at winning? I do not doubt that the creator was influenced at least a little by the Sea Lion, in a few of the shapes (specifically that point in each of the paws, the shoulder, and the pose of the lion, but even that is different and you can't trademark a pose) specifically, but they are so minor and somewhat different from the original and the rest is SO much different, it just doesn't come close to plagiarism. If you flipped either one horizontally you would not be able to see a resemblance, especially in the face area. I cannot stress this enough. You can be as snarky and clever about it as you want, but it's just not there.

Are you serious? IMO that court case would be a slam dunk victory for the Sea Lions designer.

It wouldn't be a slam dunk victory because the Detroit Lions logo in question was only designed by a fan for a local newspaper contest. It's not being used by the Detroit Lions in any capacity, and as far as we know the designer isn't using it to sell merchandise.

START. A. NEW. FRACKING. THREAD.

Seriously.

I see two new pages on this thread and think maybe something got released or someone had some new information on the Lion's uniforms and instead I get Vanilla Ice and logo lawsuits.

All fine and interesting, in its own thread.

Back to the topic, Anybody have an answer to my qusetion of whether the black being kept by the Lions is just in the logo like the Chiefs or does it remain throughout the whole uniform? I was really hoping we would'nt be seeing that black facemask again.

I'd be surprised. That Chief's logo black is sort of an older design thing. These days, everything is so coordinated I seriously doubt a team would debut something new that had that kind of mismatch (although the Vikings did just a few years ago, so you never know).

Speaking of the Lions logo...

At Ford Field, the current logo is everwhere... incluyding imbeded into the facade as bas relief sculptures... very hard to remove. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with that.

Well the logo itself is'nt changing very much from what I've heard. I think the silhouette is staying the same just some more detail and definition to the Lion. Nevertheless they will probably have to change it. I remember when CMGI backed out on the Patriots and Gillette stepped in . I was working at the stadium and this happened just weeks before it was set to open for the Pats and they got everything changed in time. Even the glass around the escalators had CMGI etched in it and they removed it all in time.Also on the Lions fanatics board the same guy who posted the new logo ,then it was immediately taken down a few weeks ago says that he has heard that RB Kevin Smith is doing the photoshoot today for the teams new unis.Maybe somebody will discover the picture of their website like they did for the Chargers when they came out with theirs.

I just got back from Ford Field's Lion team store.

You would think they were doing a radical overhall - i.e. the Creamsicle Bucs to the Pewter Bucs, the way they are discounting everything. I purchased $80 replica jerseys for $5. My favorite was the throwback logo hat (the stripes one) that I got for $2.50. I mean the throwback logo isn't changing.

Everyone loves a roundel.

I just got a Kitna jersey for 15.99 with tax and shipping and handling. Great deal

Except that you end up with a Jon Kitna Lions jersey.

It's a cheap Lions jersey, I don't mind. I already have about 4 or 5 to begin with, but a deal is a deal.

I just got a Kitna jersey for 15.99 with tax and shipping and handling. Great deal

It's a cheap Lions jersey, I don't mind. I already have about 4 or 5 to begin with, but a deal is a deal.

Your Kitna jersey would go great with my Charles Rogers jersey!

Your Kitna jersey would go great with my Charles Rogers jersey!

Or my Kevin Jones authentic. I thought about just buying a "Smith" nameplate, but if they're changing uniforms this year, I'll have a random, obscure throwback. Hell, I have a Jamal Mashburn Mavs jersey hanging on my wall.

Archived