Lions uniform changes

Proc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And, oldschoolvikings, how can you say that? They are in different background colors, of course it won't have the exact same pattern. That's just a basic thing about any traditional jersey.

Not always. See "Steelers, Pittsburgh."

What's interesting here is that neither of the jerseys have stripes matching the helmet and pants. At least the Packers get it right on the homes. If striping consistency was really one of the considerations, then they could have conformed at least one of them to the helmet and pants.

And, oldschoolvikings, how can you say that? They are in different background colors, of course it won't have the exact same pattern. That's just a basic thing about any traditional jersey.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a horrible case when it comes to striping consistency.
What's interesting here is that neither of the jerseys have stripes matching the helmet and pants. At least the Packers get it right on the homes. If striping consistency was really one of the considerations, then they could have conformed at least one of them to the helmet and pants.
The striping patterns match, and only vary in colour according to the base. That's pretty consistent, IMO.

If DP's rendering is indeed acurate, I'd say the Lions definately made an imrpovement.

5125349f.jpgLionsNewUniforms.png

My biggest gripe about the old set was the way they added black to the collar and the sleeve stripes. The collar became dark and muddy with the black-blue-black pattern and the sleeve stripes looked like a mess with the thick black outline on an otherwise silver, blue and white pattern.

The new sets seem to clear this up. The black-white-black collar trim certainly feel more consistant with the rest of the set, and the sleeve stripes now look like they belong.

Do I think this is a perfect set for the Lions? Probably not, but it's certainly a nice step forward from the past few years.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a horrible case when it comes to striping consistency.

Not if you're talking consistency between home and road jerseys.

SteelersStripes.jpg

No reason the Lions couldn't have done something like this, if striping consistency was really a consideration.

And there's certainly no reason that they couldn't have at least gone the Packers route and had the sleeve stripes on at least one jersey match the helmet and pants:

397-bn-20080812-D003-rodgersimpressi-231895-MI0001.standalone.prod_affiliate.50.jpg

In order to do that though they would have to drop silver from the stripes and it would give the jerseys an unbalanced feel due to the lack of silver in them. Get my point?

And there's certainly no reason that they couldn't have at least gone the Packers route and had the sleeve stripes on at least one jersey match the helmet and pants:

topper-packer.jpg

To me, I don't feel like those jersey stripes match the rest. I see where you could argue that they are the same, but to me I just don't see them as being a perfect solution to matching the rest of the stripes.

In order to do that though they would have to drop silver from the stripes and it would give the jerseys an unbalanced feel due to the lack of silver in them. Get my point?

I see what you're driving at, but I don't agree.

Silver/black/white/blue/white/black/silver. One more thin little stripe top and bottom wouldn't blow the design, wouldn't be any thicker than the stripes worn by other teams (Steelers, Browns) and would let the Lions actually standardize.

Problem solved. If, indeed, that was one of the considerations. It's bandied about here a lot, but I don't know if the team ever cared about that or if it was a condition introduced here on these boards.

I could be wrong, but my opinion is that the team was just looking to have the same pattern, meaning 1/2/3/2/1. Make sense? I think it matches well enough and the order of colors don't have to be exactly the same on each application.

I think all the talk about unified striping started when CW made a mention of it. I'm gonna have to agree with him and say that they are unified.

I could see using a heraldic type shield instead of sleeve stripes. I don't think the striping on sleeves need to match the helmet and pants. The Lions just happened to apply black poorly in their last set.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Not if you're talking consistency between home and road jerseys.

SteelersStripes.jpg

No reason the Lions couldn't have done something like this, if striping consistency was really a consideration.

397-bn-20080812-D003-rodgersimpressi-231895-MI0001.standalone.prod_affiliate.50.jpg

we know one thing with the steelers, the stripes will never change, I think IMO those are are the best especially the vikings current alternate

with Green Bay, I wish they stayed with the original striping pattern on the home and aways, I love the stripes on the collar.

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Should everyone preface their posts with "I think..."? That part is understood, isn't it? And since when on this board are we required to give equal time to uniform likes and dislikes? Sometimes you don't like something. Sometimes you don't want to bother finding something nice in something you don't like. And, again, I don't know where I said "My opinion is the best and anyone that disagrees can jump off a cliff." You like, I don't, and there we are.

I do agree that "epic fail" should be eliminated from our collective language. It's lazy and boring.

Well, maybe I misread the tone of your posts, then. Obviously you don't have to start every post with "I think...". But, just the way it came across, I felt like you did think that your opinion was the best. Especially with all of the "fail" stuff (I can't remember if you used that phrase or not). If I am wrong then I apologize. But I agree, it's best to "agree to disagree" here.

oldschoolvikings, how can you say that? They are in different background colors, of course it won't have the exact same pattern. That's just a basic thing about any traditional jersey. Usually the stripe widths and layout are the same but obviously the colors change. That's just basic stuff. It doesn't make it not match.

But it absolutely could've had the exact same stripe, colors and all, and very easy. Just change the silver stripe to blue on the home jersey, and the silver stripes to white on the road jersey. Simple. Then they'd have an identical stripe on every part of the uniform. In fact, when Colorwerx first mentioned stripe consistancy as the big hallmark of this uni, I was sure that was what they'd do. To be honest, matching this particular stripe is so easy, I'm shocked they didn't, and its one of the reasons I think this update is slightly dissapointing.

Mmm...like posters before me said, now you are just looking for excuses to hate this. The striping obviously matches throughout. You are looking for the exact continuity seen in the Blue Jackets or UF Gators (even though their width's are messed up). And I think that's nitpicking and asking for a little much.

Mmm...like posters before me said, now you are just looking for excuses to hate this. The striping obviously matches throughout. You are looking for the exact continuity seen in the Blue Jackets or UF Gators (even though their width's are messed up). And I think that's nitpicking and asking for a little much.

You are right, if their only problem with these is that the striping isn't consistent enough, then this is a great uniform. The colors on Florida's striping all match, but don't look the best they could. The large white space between the stripes, then thin colored stripes, is not appealing to me on their white jerseys. So, are they forcing consistency at the expense of what looks best? If the widths and number of stripes match, it is acceptable to switch one of the colors when it is on a different base. The Lions aren't completely moving around the stripe colors on each, it is just one small change. Everyone thinks the Bears uniforms are near perfect, but they are possibly the most inconsistent uniforms in the league. They have three different variations of the number font on each jersey. The striping on home and away jerseys are very different. They have a bunch of stripes on the jersey, three on the pants, and none on the helmet. The Bears are the perfect example of inconsistency on a uniform, and I never hear anyone complain about that. There aren't many teams in the league who have more standardized striping throughout the uniform.

MegatronSig2.jpg

If these...

LionsNewUniforms.png

...are what the Lions are going with...

Then I don't get the complaining about a lack of consistency. Note the title below my user name.

I'm satisfied.

There's two major ways of being consistent in striping. One is to switch out colors in a consistent manner depending on the background color. The other is to have a set striping pattern and colors and never change it; the background color will dictate which stripes "show" and which "disappear".

Bother are legitimate.

The Lions are using the first and most standard method throughout the helmet, uniforms, and pants, and it looks fantastic.

The King has spoken.

[/pretend-authority]

If these...

LionsNewUniforms.png

...are what the Lions are going with...

Then I don't get the complaining about a lack of consistency. Note the title below my user name.

I'm satisfied.

There's two major ways of being consistent in striping. One is to switch out colors in a consistent manner depending on the background color. The other is to have a set striping pattern and colors and never change it; the background color will dictate which stripes "show" and which "disappear".

Bother are legitimate.

The Lions are using the first and most standard method throughout the helmet, uniforms, and pants, and it looks fantastic.

The King has spoken.

[/pretend-authority]

Looking specifically at the road uniform, it would be more consistent if the striping went (thin) silver, (thin) black, (thin) white, (thick) blue, (thin) white, (thin) black, (thin) silver.

On the helmet and pants, the outer (thin) silver stripes would "disappear", but be visible on the jersey. The silver replacing the white on the jersey stripe kills the consistency for me.

On the home jersey, I'm not entirely sure what the best solution is. But the white base color on the away jersey and the silver base color of the helmet and pants are not different enough to warrant any "color swaping."

Consistency... I think not :D

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived