Lions uniform changes

Proc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Lions can't go with a variation of blue and gold. That would irritate the Spartan fans.

I'm a Spartan and I wouldn't mind. Honolulu Blue and Gold would make the Lions look like UCLA, not scUM. The weasles are Corn and Navy.

Everyone loves a roundel.

I love the whole theory that light blue is wimpy. Really? Someone want to ask North Carolina how wimpy light blue is? Heck, Honolulu blue, the version they use now is way darker than what the Tar Heels use and I've yet to hear anyone say that Carolina's wimpy. No the wimpyness isn't the uniforms, but the players in them and that's thanks to the wimpiest GM ever Matt "let's add black because it makes you tough" Millen. I agree with people who say that it's not that the Lions added black, but how they added it to the uniforms that made them horrible. Then again what would you expect from a GM who played on a team run by a senile old man?

New Unis = Playoff success

It's for that very reason why I would not complain all year if the team does take a different uni-wize direction. A retro look can look really good in their colors but I would not limit myself to just that.

PLAYOFFS?? LIONS??? PLAYOFFS???? (Is there any way to type in a Jim Mora Voice?)

New Unis = Playoff success

It's for that very reason why I would not complain all year if the team does take a different uni-wize direction. A retro look can look really good in their colors but I would not limit myself to just that.

PLAYOFFS?? LIONS??? PLAYOFFS???? (Is there any way to type in a Jim Mora Voice?)

Hey, if new uniforms got the Cardinals into the Super Bowl then they're capable of anything.

Well...whatever they do, they're going to have to significantly downsize the sleeve striping...given that almost no one wears sleeves any more.

Which may be a point in favour of the throwbacks....

well said, I think the throwbies would be the best way to go for the Lions

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Well...whatever they do, they're going to have to significantly downsize the sleeve striping...given that almost no one wears sleeves any more.

If traditional sleeve striping isn't an option due to shrinking sleeves (come on NFL, enforce your own policy <_< ) I would rather take the plain throwbacks over a proposed panelled Bills/Bengals/Vikings look any day.

That said, blue facemasks and a logo on the helmet would have to be added to make them a viable full-time NFL uniform.

As for a logo redesign, someone posted a concept here a while back that was basically a really classy update of their 50's mark. I think that's the direction the Lions should consider going in logo-wise. Lets see if I can find it....

If traditional sleeve striping isn't an option due to shrinking sleeves (come on NFL, enforce your own policy <_< ) I would rather take the plain throwbacks over a proposed panelled Bills/Bengals/Vikings look any day.

That said, blue facemasks and a logo on the helmet would have to be added to make them a viable full-time NFL uniform.

As for a logo redesign, someone posted a concept here a while back that was basically a really classy update of their 50's mark. I think that's the direction the Lions should consider going in logo-wise. Lets see if I can find it....

maybe something you were talking about, a logo like shown below and do an evolutionary look, more fierce lion with the silver and blue streaks slanted with the lion ripping through it

31YnZ0me2kL._AA280_.jpg

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

I think what he was saying is that Lions fans don't want to go navy, they just want to return the "honolulu blue" back to its orginal shade...

Notice the difference:

Old photographs are a terrible way to judge team colors. Maybe Werx can post some examples of what they actually looked like.

This darker version of Honolulu Blue was really only used for a few seasons - from (what I've been able to put together) 1965 through 1979. Other than those seasons, it was lighter.

I know I've done this before, but here are all the different shades of Honolulu Blue that I have found:

1934 through 1964:

DetroitLionsBlue_1964_SOL_SRGB.jpg

1965 through 1979 (I'm still a little fuzzy on the exact seasons they used this darker Blue; it may have changed prior to '79):

DetroitLionsBlue_1979_SOL_SRGB.jpg

1980 through 1996:

DetroitLionsBlue_1996_SOL_SRGB.jpg

1997 through 2001:

DetroitLionsBlue_2001_SOL_SRGB.jpg

I will post the final image in the next post (darn image limit in posts!)...

This darker version of Honolulu Blue was really only used for a few seasons - from (what I've been able to put together) 1965 through 1979. Other than those seasons, it was lighter.

I know I've done this before, but here are all the different shades of Honolulu Blue that I have found:

1934 through 1964:

DetroitLionsBlue_1964_SOL_SRGB.jpg

1965 through 1979 (I'm still a little fuzzy on the exact seasons they used this darker Blue; it may have changed prior to '79):

1980 through 1996:

DetroitLionsBlue_1996_SOL_SRGB.jpg

1997 through 2001:

DetroitLionsBlue_2001_SOL_SRGB.jpg

I will post the final image in the next post (darn image limit in posts!)...

I respect your research and acknowledge that you are our resident color expert, but I have never seen a photo for the 1965 through 1979 uniforms in which the jerseys looked anywhere near as dark as the swatch you have here. I realize there are issues of monitor calibration, color accuracy of the original photos, etc., but your example just seems kind of dark to me, FWIW.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I respect your research and acknowledge that you are our resident color expert, but I have never seen a photo for the 1965 through 1979 uniforms in which the jerseys looked anywhere near as dark as the swatch you have here. I realize there are issues of monitor calibration, color accuracy of the original photos, etc., but your example just seems kind of dark to me, FWIW.

I went back to an official 1977 Style Guide sheet and re-measured the color chips on there to see if my estimate is off. And, yes, it's probably too dark.

Here's my new estimate (which is what I originally had, but then changed it):

My previous post regarding this color will also change as well.

However, if you think that original estimate was too dark, wait 'till you see what they officially used for the 1994 throwbacks (these are using actual confirmed Pantone values):

DetroitLions_SP1_1994_SOL_SRGB.jpg

I went back to an official 1977 Style Guide sheet and re-measured the color chips on there to see if my estimate is off. And, yes, it's probably too dark.

However, if you think that original estimate was too dark, wait 'till you see what they officially used for the 1994 throwbacks (these are using actual confirmed Pantone values):

Damn...those first two colors are damn-near Dallas Cowboys territory!!!

(Which is funny...because until my sense of color really fully bloomed around age 12, I used to always confuse the Lions and Cowboys for each other. ^_^ )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Damn...those first two colors are damn-near Dallas Cowboys territory!!!

(Which is funny...because until my sense of color really fully bloomed around age 12, I used to always confuse the Lions and Cowboys for each other. ^_^ )

Who hasn't? I used to always get the Cowboys and Lions confused when I was a kid... particulary the white uniforms.

Archived