Lions uniform changes

Proc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After seeing the uniforms, I love everything about this update. The numbers look fantastic, the logo looks great on the helmet, and I still think the wordmark is very solid. Well done Lions. Hopefully you play at least as good as you look this year.

I agree. The Lions did a fantastic job with their identity revamp.

Now let's hope they can be like the Arizona Cardinals and get some good management and players together. We saw last season that even teams like the Cardinals and Dolphins can be great with the proper direction. That's all the Lions need, really. I have to agree with Matt Millen that the Lions do have a lot of talented players, and all that's largely missing is management that recognizes this.

I wish they would have updated the old wordmark instead of a new one all together.

-Dan

How could they have updated the old wordmark without changing it altogether?

How did the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames update their logos without changing them all together?

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Why don't they have a "Detroit" wordmark? That seems a little strange to me.

I'm not sure that we've seen the whole package yet - there may be a version of the wordmark (or "logotype" as they were calling it) that integrates Detroit in a small way. Kind of hard with the way they rendered the Lions type though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why don't they have a "Detroit" wordmark? That seems a little strange to me.

I'm not sure that we've seen the whole package yet - there may be a version of the wordmark (or "logotype" as they were calling it) that integrates Detroit in a small way. Kind of hard with the way they rendered the Lions type though.

There isn't anything with "Detroit" in it.

With the way the Lions have played the last few years, maybe this was requested by the city. God knows I'd be ashamed of them.

I doubt this is the reason. I think we just haven't seen all the changes yet. I'm sure we'll find out more as we get closer to the start of the 2009 season.

The helmet stripes suck ***!!! I didn't see that before....what the ****??? Why put such thin stripes on the helmet just to include silver when the helmet is enough? And even with all the black, couldn't the numbers on the back of the helmet be blue? I mean c'mon!

I, for one, am okay with the Lions' new look. It's not a downgrade at all, plus I don't really mind the additional black either as I did with the previous look as it seemed much too forced.

Bottom line, I can definitely live with these.

6uXNWAo.png

With the way the Lions have played the last few years, maybe this was requested by the city. God knows I'd be ashamed of them.

I doubt this is the reason. I think we just haven't seen all the changes yet. I'm sure we'll find out more as we get closer to the start of the 2009 season.

psst... that was a joke.

I, for one, am okay with the Lions' new look. It's not a downgrade at all, plus I don't really mind the additional black either as I did with the previous look as it seemed much too forced.

Bottom line, I can definitely live with these.

I agree. Frankly, there wasn't anywhere to go but up. The Lions did a great job with their identity makeover. And it was long overdue. Hopefully their new identity will also bring some success.

Am I the only one who doesn't like these? When I see the Lions I think of NFL Europe. I think they became too modernized. The number font on the jerseys seem like something you'd see somewhere else than football. The new logo looks really weak IMO.

Am I the only one who doesn't like these? When I see the Lions I think of NFL Europe. I think they became too modernized. The number font on the jerseys seem like something you'd see somewhere else than football. The new logo looks really weak IMO.

Why do you think of NFL Europa?

Why do you think the logo looks weak? What would have made it better? I do think you're one of the few (but not the only one) who dislikes the new logo and/or uniforms.

I like eveything but two things.

1) The thin silver stripe(s) on the helmet-why the heck did they throw those in there-it looks terrible!

2) The swooshes on Bubbles-it is a good idea, but they look out of place

There isn't a thin silver stripe on the helmet. The only reason you're seeing that is due to the center line on the helmet being slightly raised and you're seeing a side view. So what you're seeing is the raised part of the helmet. In person you don't even notice the silver unless you are looking closely at the side. From straight on or from the back, it's not visible at all.

The blue center stripe should be larger to cover that area and that would solve any problem. Not sure why they thinned that out. Must have something to do with the larger numbers on the back of the helmet and not wanting them to extend to far out.

But overall, I think the helmet looks great. Even with that damn black facemask. :)

Still like the logo. The rest still seems a bit pointless. I think they "fixed" some things they didn't need to and didn't fix some of the things they should have.

I only see one helmet in these pictures -- isn't it possible that this a sloppy prototype and the color of the lion and the striping issue will be addressed in the mass-produced model. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

Also, it's not that there's too much black, it's that they still don't use it properly. It still looks added on, mainly because it's placed around existing striping. For example, why not use it to break up the silver and white on the blue jerseys?

EDIT: I guess I'll add that I always look to the home uni first to judge an update, but in this case I think the road (white) uni works much better.

Archived