San Jose Earthquakes get kit sponsor

roxfan00

aRxCsZJz.jpg

Quakes, Amway Global reach sponsorship deal

Amway Global to sponsor Earthquakes jerseys as part of agreement

San Jose Earthquakes Media Relations

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The San Jose Earthquakes and Amway Global announced a historic three-year partnership agreement Tuesday that will include Amway Global's name on the front of the Earthquakes jerseys beginning in 2009. The partnership also features a number of in-stadium, community and grassroots components that will provide greater visibility for both the Earthquakes and Amway Global.

"Putting Amway Global's logo on our jersey is another example of soccer's growth as a major player in the sports marketplace," said Earthquakes Executive Vice President David Alioto. "We are proud to enter into this partnership with Amway Global. Amway Global is a major international brand and has demonstrated a strong commitment to soccer both in the United States and around the world."

The partnership between Amway Global and the Earthquakes kicks off at the Mexico-Sweden match on January 28 at Oakland Alameda County Coliseum when all entry signage for the game will be branded with Amway Global logos. Overall, the agreement will see the Amway Global logo adorn the team's jerseys as well as all team gear, including training tops and team travel apparel. Along with the jersey sponsorship, the deal includes a major signage component as well as a 30-foot tall inflatable Amway Global/Earthquakes jersey that will be displayed at all home Earthquakes games.

"Amway Global is thrilled to become part of the San Jose Earthquakes family. Interest in Major League Soccer continues to rise, so this sponsorship positions us well to reach millions of consumers with our health, beauty and business brand messages," said Steve Lieberman, Managing Director of Amway Global. "Internationally, soccer superstar Ronaldinho endorses our NUTRILITE® brand of supplements, and the NUTRILITE brand also sponsors his club, AC Milan. We hope we can expand upon those international associations and become part of the growing excitement for soccer here in the U.S. with the Earthquakes," said Lieberman.

A major part of the partnership is focused on community initiatives in the Bay Area. Amway Global is now the official sponsor of the Kicks for Kids program that focuses on fitness and healthy lifestyles, as well as bringing underprivileged children to Earthquakes games. Through the program, Earthquakes players will visit 15 schools or community centers in the Bay Area to discuss the importance of being active and living a healthy lifestyle. At each event, the player will also distribute tickets and replica jersey shirts to 150 children per school. The program kicks off prior to the team's home opener on March 21 against the New England Revolution. Amway Global and the Earthquakes also will sponsor the Hispanic Youth Soccer Scholarship Program. This program will pay the expenses for one year of soccer for a deserving youth player in the Bay Area.

Amway Global will be the presenting sponsor for the opening night on Saturday, March 21 when the Earthquakes host the New England Revolution at 7:30 p.m. PT at Buck Shaw Stadium and will give the first 5,000 fans an Earthquakes replica jersey t-shirt at the match. The game also marks the first opportunity for fans to purchase the new authentic Earthquakes kit.

The partnership will also see the creation of the Amway Global Street Team in 2009. The Amway Global Street Team will appear at all home games, while also having a presence at a number of soccer and non-soccer events throughout the Bay Area. The members of the Amway Global Street Team will give away Earthquakes-branded merchandise and provide soccer skills demonstrations at each event.

About Amway Global

Amway Global (www.amwayglobal.com) is a leader in the $80 billion global direct-selling industry. Established in 1959 as a seller of household cleaners, the company expanded and diversified over the years and today is a leader in Health and Beauty through its NUTRILITE® brand of nutritional supplements and the ARTISTRY® brand of skin care and cosmetics. Globally, Amway reported sales of more than $7 billion last year and is helping millions of people lead better lives with its consumer products, business opportunities, and generous sharing through its One By One Campaign for Children.

About San Jose Earthquakes

The San Jose Earthquakes are a Major League Soccer team that entered the league as an expansion franchise in 2008. The Earthquakes play their home matches at Buck Shaw Stadium and Oakland Alameda County Coliseum. The Earthquakes won the MLS Cup in 2001 and 2003 and captured the Supporter's Shield in 2005. The team played in MLS from 1996-2005 before being relocated to Houston. The Earthquakes then returned to MLS as an expansion team in 2008. For more information about the Earthquakes, log on to www.sjearthquakes.com.

About Major League Soccer

Headquartered in New York City, Major League Soccer is the top-flight professional soccer league in the United States and features many stars from the U.S. and around the world. Having recently finished its 13th season, MLS will have 15 teams in the 2009 season, which begins March 19: the San Jose Earthquakes, Chicago Fire, Colorado Rapids, Chivas USA, Columbus Crew, D.C. United, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, Kansas City Wizards, Los Angeles Galaxy, New York Red Bulls, New England Revolution, Real Salt Lake, Toronto FC and, in its inaugural season, Seattle Sounders FC. A Philadelphia expansion team will debut in 2010. For more information about MLS, log on to the League's official Web site at www.MLSnet.com.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Excellent. Now it's a two-horse race between San Jose and the Galaxy for shadiest shirt sponsor in the league.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hi. I'm a newbie here, and this seems like the only way I can contact someone, as I've e-mailed this site for help, without a reply.

I've been having a problem getting my account straightened out. I'd like to participate and contribute to the site. For instance, I have a Dallas Mavericks logo that I'd like to upload, but have yet to receive any help or instructions. I've been a fan of Chris Creamer's site for a couple of years now, and I'm very interested in his slowly adding the history of NBA jerseys, as professional sports teams' logos.

To prove this isn't a crank post, I will post my e-mail address, and hopefully I can receive some help, please. Thank you, and here is my e-mail:

saginaw1@charter.net

--Larry

aRxCsZJz.jpg

I heard that they will also have a new formation on the pitch:

G

:D

All kidding aside...getting a sponsor in these economic times is a real boost for the club and the league. I think this proves how smart and calculating the main office is to be able to get this done and still look to exspand in the next few years while other leagues are downsizing and even folding.

Nice job SJ!

houston.jpg

Well, in Texas, we had a number of electric companies pop up after utilities were deregulated. Most are just selling electricity and have nothing to do with actually producing the electrity or making sure it gets to your house. They have a lot of low intro rates and anytime you actually speak to a person, it seems like they have maybe two or three staff people.

After Katrina, which sent natural gas prices soaring, these companies folded faster than Superman on laundry day.When that happens, you either have to find a new company (and pay a big deposit) or they send you to the provider of last resort who charges 2 or 3 times more than anyone else.

It happened to me and while I was shopping for a new company, I see Amigo Energy. They have the combination or crazy low rates and wacky name that give a customer zero sense of reliability.

I figure with Amway or Herbalife, you get ripped off, and it doesn't cost you that much. With a utility, you're getting a big chunk taken out of your wallet and it'll screw up your credit score.

I think Amigo is our shady winner.

Strong: Chicago (Best Buy), Chivas (Comex), Columbus (Glidden), DC United (VW), NYRB (Red Bull), Seattle (XBOX 360), Toronto (BMO)

Shady: Houston (Amigo Energy), LA (Herbalife), RSL (Xango), San Jose (Amway)

More solid sponsors than shady in my opinion...however the shady companies are super shady, especially Herbalife and Xango. Would like to see the remaining teams w/o kit deals and future expansion franchises end up with better sponsors...easier said than done in this economy.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Still trying to figure out how Amway is shady...they sponsor the Magic's arena also.

Well, I'll tell you. But in return, you have to tell two people. And then, they each tell two people...

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Strong: Chicago (Best Buy), Chivas (Comex), Columbus (Glidden), DC United (VW), NYRB (Red Bull), Seattle (XBOX 360), Toronto (BMO)

Shady: Houston (Amigo Energy), LA (Herbalife), RSL (Xango), San Jose (Amway)

More solid sponsors than shady in my opinion...however the shady companies are super shady, especially Herbalife and Xango. Would like to see the remaining teams w/o kit deals and future expansion franchises end up with better sponsors...easier said than done in this economy.

You filed to mention that two clubs are not working hard enough to even get kit sponsorship. Personally, I do not think that Herbalife or Amway are that shady. Since they have been around for decades, the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) would have shut them down. ICI/Glidden may be in worse financial shape than Amway. Heck, Mary Kay should sponsor FC Dallas as they have a very large impact on the DFW economy and their convention is still huge in Dallas. Tupperware and Avon may also be targets for MLS. They need to appeal to the women who drive the little kids to MLS games and they can't do that now. For now NASCAR still has that market.

FYI, the VW CC is a darn good looking ca!

They've only come up with ways of making the Pyramid Scheme legal...or quasi-legal. That's why they haven't been shut down. The main reason is even though they are basically a pyramid scheme, they sell actual product. Most the ones that get shut down sell nothing.

Nobody is saying they are illegal or should be shut down...they are just saying they are shady. You could say that about a large number of big corporations. From Nike's child labor practices to McDonalds causing everyone in america to be fat. (I'm not saying I believe either one of those, but you could call that "shady")

Another pyramid scheme?

Does wonders for the league's credibility.

Shady sponsors haven't harmed the credibility of La Liga, Serie A, or the Premiership. I'm not saying I like the sponsors (I don't), but the product on the pitch has a much bigger impact on the league's credibility than the kit sponsor.

AC Milan

ACM%20H%2007-08.jpg

Real Madrid

Real_Madrid_home_2008.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur

SpursNewShirt_468x468.jpg

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

I guess it's a cultural thing, but the idea of gambling websites advertising on a sports team's uniform is just so dang weird. If social mores in the U.S. allowed it, you know Golden Palace would be jumping to get on an MLS kit.

As for Serie A, they don't need questionable shirt sponsors to tarnish their credibility. :P

Archived