Ottawa Rapids no more...

htd

OTTAWA CAN-AM TEAM TO SELECT NEW NAME

Ottawa ? The Can-Am League announced today that Ottawa?s professional baseball club will operate with a new name for the 2009 season and beyond. The team was known as the Rapidz in 2008, and the League had recently announced that the team would be known as the Rapids for the 2009 season.

?We had a very successful contest to find a name for the team last year,? said Miles Wolff, Commissioner of the Can-Am League. ?With over 1,000 entries, our choice of Rapids was well-received. However, new ownership in May, a change in the name to Rapidz and the dissolution of the team in September, caused confusion and doubt in the Ottawa-Gatineau region. It became apparent to our management that a fresh start was needed, and a new name will be chosen.?

A name will be selected in the next few weeks and suggestions will be welcomed at ottawacanam@hotmail.com until Friday, Feb. 6 at noon.

Ottawa will open its 2009 regular season at home on Thursday, May 28 against the New Jersey Jackals for a four-game series, before hosting the Atlantic City Surf for three games to complete their initial seven-game homestand.

I am absolutely shocked that the all-around half-assery surrounding the Ottawa RapidZ ended in the franchise being dissolved. Shocked, I tell you.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I was hoping they would keep it as Rapids (not that stupid post-90s outdated Rapidz crap). The logo and color scheme looked great and was actually kinda unique especially within the Can-Am League. How many think all the suggestions will be to resurrect the Ottawa Lynx and what not? Oh well. Not too much of a concern to me though, my local Can-Am team left at the end of 2007 so not really too much care for me with the league anymore.

I was hoping they would keep it as Rapids (not that stupid post-90s outdated Rapidz crap). The logo and color scheme looked great and was actually kinda unique especially within the Can-Am League. How many think all the suggestions will be to resurrect the Ottawa Lynx and what not? Oh well. Not too much of a concern to me though, my local Can-Am team left at the end of 2007 so not really too much care for me with the league anymore.

North Shore Spirit fan were you?

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

yes. i was at the final game too, the championship series against the Pride/Defenders/whateverthehellthey'recallednow. Was really sad. But thankfully the NECBL stepped in and we got a team again

Yeah the Nashua Pride's new owner really screwed up with the whole "American Defenders of New Hampshire" moniker they slapped on it. And we all thought the Angels' title was a mouthful.

Oddly enough, the same group also owns another baseball team in the NECBL called the "American Defenders of Pittsfield (MA)" and both teams share the same craptastic logo and uniforms. All patriotic acts aside, these are two of the worst named/logo/uniformed teams in all of baseball. Even the San Diego Padres recognize these camouflage uniforms as a once-a-week gimmick at best, and they're on the grounds of one of the largest military instillation in the world (second largest in the US). I've read the website, and while I understand why the owner (and former officer) has this theme, I think it's very heavy handed.

I make the prediction now that the "Rah Rah Military" theme Nashua is now sporting will hurt the already weak Nashua market. Perhaps if they had started this up 8 years ago when the war movement was popular they might have had something, but I think people (especially in this area) are all shell-shocked and just want their kids home again. You go to a baseball game to forget such things like war, if only for a few hours- not have it shoved in your face. There's a huge difference between honoring our veterans with a pregame ceremony, and having you local team running around like a bunch of commandos.

American Defenders of New Hampshire

American Defenders of Pittsfield

I wasn't aware of this whole "American Defenders" thing until now. Not only is the whole thing rather ugly and silly-looking, it's downright insulting. If I were a parent of a soldier fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan, I'd be mightily pissed that while my kid is risking his or her life on an hourly basis, these guys are just playing indy-league baseball in faux-military dress-up, yet get to refer to themselves as "The American Defenders."

But hey, if it means Rich Garces gets to keep his pantry full of Zebra Cakes, I guess it's all worthwhile.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Trust me, as a Veteran who has been to Afghanistan it is a kind of slap in the face. And there's even more to it. Firstly, part of this coalition is Dan Duquette who himself is a self-absorbed F-up. Secondly, take a look at the ballparks that the Nashua team and even now the Pittsfield team will play at. Both of them are now Nokona Field at _______. Renaming Holoman is one thing, but slapping a corporate title onto Wahconah Park which was around LONG before that stupid company is unbelievable. Now the Third part which is even MORE ridiculous: American Defenders does not actually refer to the military! The American Defender is actually a glove that the Nokona Glove company is putting out!!!! This whole renaming crap is one giant marketing campaign!!! Check this out if you don't believe me They took a decent logo set up with the Pride (n-Lion; 1 hidden in the Pride wordmark) and put out this crap. Just insulting all around

My name idea that hit me last night and I?ve sent it off for consideration?

Ottawa 9?s (I am aware of the Mudville Nine)

The team is back for 2009.

Like a cat - this team has 9 lives.

While were on the cat theme - a nice tie in to the Lynx.

There are nine men on the field.

It also has a nice ring to it and the city already has the 67?s - so why not the 9?s?

It?s also bilingual - ahh numbers.

My name idea that hit me last night and I’ve sent it off for consideration…

Ottawa 9’s (I am aware of the Mudville Nine)

It also has a nice ring to it and the city already has the 67’s - so why not the 9’s?

It’s also bilingual - ahh numbers.

Les Neufs D'Ottawa?

My name idea that hit me last night and I?ve sent it off for consideration?

Ottawa 9?s (I am aware of the Mudville Nine)

It also has a nice ring to it and the city already has the 67?s - so why not the 9?s?

It?s also bilingual - ahh numbers.

Les Neufs D'Ottawa?

That's how you would say it in french - but it could always be spelt Les 9's d'Ottawa...

Trust me, as a Veteran who has been to Afghanistan it is a kind of slap in the face. And there's even more to it. Firstly, part of this coalition is Dan Duquette who himself is a self-absorbed F-up. Secondly, take a look at the ballparks that the Nashua team and even now the Pittsfield team will play at. Both of them are now Nokona Field at _______. Renaming Holoman is one thing, but slapping a corporate title onto Wahconah Park which was around LONG before that stupid company is unbelievable. Now the Third part which is even MORE ridiculous: American Defenders does not actually refer to the military! The American Defender is actually a glove that the Nokona Glove company is putting out!!!! This whole renaming crap is one giant marketing campaign!!! Check this out if you don't believe me They took a decent logo set up with the Pride (n-Lion; 1 hidden in the Pride wordmark) and put out this crap. Just insulting all around

Ugh! :cursing: That's even worse. I want the Nashua Pride and Pittsfield Black Bears back! This is beyond asinine- and yet not unexpected seeing as it is Dan Duquette.

And I've been going to Holman Stadium for years- making this into a huge (and poorly designed) marketing campaign just shows all the more what's wrong with sports. It is especially nauseating when they slap camouflage uniforms on have a log that includes "USA" and a yellow ribbon" So basically their grasping at the remains of peoples' patriotism to market their crappy merchandise. :censored:

• 2 weeks later...
Never liked the name "RapidZ". They should've kept the Rapids, with an "S".

The Ottawa Beavers still have a chance.

I'm wondering if Ottawa Castors wouldn't be a better translation given the local demographics.

Never liked the name "RapidZ". They should've kept the Rapids, with an "S".

The Ottawa Beavers still have a chance.

I'm wondering if Ottawa Castors wouldn't be a better translation given the local demographics.

I kept wondering the same thing about the Rough Riders.

If any of you have ever seen the US Military All-Stars play you'd understand the team better. The owner of the Defenders is the founder of that team, as well as a veteran himself. The fact that this team will be wearing those uniforms and honoring those who serve shouldn't be seen as an insult at all.

tex_rangers.jpg

credit: Logodawg86

If any of you have ever seen the US Military All-Stars play you'd understand the team better. The owner of the Defenders is the founder of that team, as well as a veteran himself. The fact that this team will be wearing those uniforms and honoring those who serve shouldn't be seen as an insult at all.

Military All-Stars is one thing. That would at least be made up of people in the military. But some guy naming his team again after a corporate branded baseball glove that is supposed to draw from post-9/11 patriotism and make a quick buck from it. THAT is what is insulting about it. If the profits from the team were to go to some sort of military charity or something similar then I am 100% for that. Any profit made is the insult. and the owner being a veteran should know that.

HE COMMUNITY CALLED ON TO NAME OTTAWA CAN-AM TEAM

Ottawa ? The Ottawa Can-Am Baseball Club is in search of a name and the Ottawa-Gatineau community is being called on to choose the team name from a list of five finalists. Voting begins Wednesday, Feb. 11 and runs through Tuesday, Feb. 17.

The finalists are:

- Ottawa Colonels

- Ottawa Jax

- Ottawa Raftsmen

- Ottawa Trappers

- Ottawa Voyageurs

The finalists were chosen from the first phase of the ?Name Your Team? contest, in which hundreds of names were submitted. A committee comprised of team personnel, league officials and representatives of the community reviewed the submitted names, to establish the list of five finalists. The top five names were judged on regional relevance, branding, as well as the ability to create an attractive logo and a mascot.

?This is Ottawa?s team and we welcome the community involvement in selecting a name,? said Barry Robinson, general manager of the Ottawa Can-Am Baseball Team.

Fans can vote by emailing to ottawacanam@hotmail.com or by calling 613-741-0777. Entries must be received by noon on Tuesday, Feb. 17.

Ottawa will open its 2009 regular season at home on Thursday, May 28 against the New Jersey Jackals for a four-game series, before hosting the Atlantic City Surf for three games to complete their initial seven-game homestand.

Archived