New Orleans Jesters

B-Rich

the bar has been set. I can officially say that i deserve to be employed full time, with benefits and vacation, at a graphic design studio if this is the kind of product that rolls out on the production end of said studio.

Throw my name in there too!

Well, it's bad but not as awful as the name picked for the minor league baseball team when that sport returned to New Orleans in the mid-70's. Those poor bastards were to be called the New Orleans Maskers. :blink:

The name bombed horribly and before their first season the team was rebranded with the historical Pelicans name. Didn't matter, they didn't last long anyway and baseball left N.O. until the Zephyrs arrived in the 90's.

Sky , why did you dredge up that horrible "Masker" memory??? I was 12 at the time and I still remember the Mardi Gras mask "logo" in the paper. I recall that an old lady was the winning contestant who came up with that gem.......

Hey, thanks for responding. Since someone else remembers it, I'm finally sure it wasn't just an awful nightmare brought on by eating an entire King Cake with a gallon of milk in a single afternoon. :D

The new team has released the uni design, but I don't get it, why don't the colors match the logo, and which player in soccer carries a stick??

Jester.jpg

B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Well, it's bad but not as awful as the name picked for the minor league baseball team when that sport returned to New Orleans in the mid-70's. Those poor bastards were to be called the New Orleans Maskers. :blink:

The name bombed horribly and before their first season the team was rebranded with the historical Pelicans name. Didn't matter, they didn't last long anyway and baseball left N.O. until the Zephyrs arrived in the 90's.

Sky , why did you dredge up that horrible "Masker" memory??? I was 12 at the time and I still remember the Mardi Gras mask "logo" in the paper. I recall that an old lady was the winning contestant who came up with that gem.......

Hey, thanks for responding. Since someone else remembers it, I'm finally sure it wasn't just an awful nightmare brought on by eating an entire King Cake with a gallon of milk in a single afternoon. :D

Count me in (not to mention a bunch of my budies who grew up in Metairie) as another remembering the name being announced as the Maskers. Most of us recall the late Hap Glaudi announcing the name on Channel 4 in his 'yat', stiff, jerky delivery:

...and the name of the team will be.... da Maskahs!!!" (the way he prounounced it , it sounded more like "Damascus". Seriously.)

I think the city issued a collective cry of "WHAT?" upon hearing that... later, I heard the logo was to feature the comedy/tragedy mask set so prevalent in Mardi Gras themes, and someone joked that if the team won they would feature the comedy mask; if they lost, the tragedy mask...

Luckily before the team ever took the field they were renamed the Pelicans, but as you mentioned they only lasted one season in the Superdome.

(by the way, already had my slice of King Cake this morning in the office... and I didn't get the baby)

It is what it is.

Oh.. I dunno... we've used the Jester moniker for our lil league soccer team for a few "seasons" now...

th_JesterShield9.jpg th_JesterShieldRed4.png

Of course, these are just something I put together for the team... made the kiddies Tshirts and all...

But, I digress... Although not fond of the logo and gradients, I like the name....

Count me in (not to mention a bunch of my budies who grew up in Metairie) as another remembering the name being announced as the Maskers. Most of us recall the late Hap Glaudi announcing the name on Channel 4 in his 'yat', stiff, jerky delivery:

...and the name of the team will be.... da Maskahs!!!" (the way he prounounced it , it sounded more like "Damascus". Seriously.)

I think the city issued a collective cry of "WHAT?" upon hearing that... later, I heard the logo was to feature the comedy/tragedy mask set so prevalent in Mardi Gras themes, and someone joked that if the team won they would feature the comedy mask; if they lost, the tragedy mask...

Luckily before the team ever took the field they were renamed the Pelicans, but as you mentioned they only lasted one season in the Superdome.

(by the way, already had my slice of King Cake this morning in the office... and I didn't get the baby)

Got my second baby in three years the other day :)

As far as the logo is concerned, there is so much potential for a great logo in New Orleans culture, it's sad when it isn't met.

Before everyone trashes this version, keep in mind that I set out to do this in under an hour. Start to finish, this took 53 minutes. I'm not saying it's better, it just doesn't seem right that someone got paid from someone to do that logo. It's not so difficult to come up with a decent crest. Now, on the trashing of my version! The design is meant to be somewhat whimsical, so keep that in mind.

NEWORLEANSJESTERS-1.png

As far as the logo is concerned, there is so much potential for a great logo in New Orleans culture, it's sad when it isn't met.

Thats kind of odd.....after two years I finally got my first one earlier today.

I just hope I remember to bring the King Cake next Friday for the office.

Well, logoman, that's certainly better than what I had in mind. I had an idea about using the fleur as part of the hat.

I'm not sold on that font, though. It should probably say "New Orleans" on it somewhere as well.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think it's a stupid name. I think the colors are hideous. I think it sucks.

[Mod translation]I don't care for your opinion. Good day, sir.[/Mod translation]

[Mod note: That'll be enough of throwing insults around, thank you.]

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

Before everyone trashes this version, keep in mind that I set out to do this in under an hour. Start to finish, this took 53 minutes. I'm not saying it's better, it just doesn't seem right that someone got paid from someone to do that logo. It's not so difficult to come up with a decent crest. Now, on the trashing of my version! The design is meant to be somewhat whimsical, so keep that in mind.

NEWORLEANSJESTERS-1.png

Much much better Logoman. But the font could be better.

jNTsTyQ.png

All this reminds me of the time I was flying home from New Orleans, carrying on a King Cake, and the security person operating the x-ray machine smiled and asked, "Want to know where the baby is?" Only in New Orleans. :D

All this reminds me of the time I was flying home from New Orleans, carrying on a King Cake, and the security person operating the x-ray machine smiled and asked, "Want to know where the baby is?" Only in New Orleans. :D

This poor SOB I work with has gotten so many babies the past several years , we nicknamed his desk "THE DAYCARE CENTER".......

Back to topic, wondering what the kit will look like. Hopes not too high based on what we've seen so far . Maybe the name/logo will grow on me as I plan on attending the matches with my daughter......

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I never knew that story. That would have been a horrible name...but I guess it wouldn't have mattered since the team was only in New Orleans for like a year before moving on.

gYH2mW9.png

Don't forget that New Orleans previously had the Shell Shockers and the badge looked like this:

NewOrleansShellShockers05.GIF

I cannot tell if this is simply a rebranding of the Shell Shockers or a new club altogether. Is the new name and crest and upgrade or downgrade? I think the Jesters name is much better and the crest is a little better.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

Rebranding. Previous name was a sponsorship deal.

I know the Shell in Shell Shockers was Royal Dutch Shell, but I could not figure out from the announcement on the USL website if it was a new club or the same old one. But now I remember that the Shell Shockers had the new name contest on their website.

Am I crazy or didn't they once have a logo that incorporated the Shell logo somewhere in it? I seem to remember something along those line, but I may be imagining things.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

Yeah, old Hap...good times. Over on Channel 8 there was Buddy D., talking about the Saints taking on "Atlanter". Chris Myers, who's all over the place now, was on WWL for a while too. And remember they brought in that female sports anchor, can't remember her name, all I remember was she had a northern accent so the college team in Baton Rouge sounded like "Alice U" when she said it. :D

Archived