Coca-Cola removing "Classic"

Korkie

As I alluded to in that other classic thread, I always treated CCC as a Special Treat of sorts, and Coke Zero's excellent approximation of Classic sorta ruined that for me. It's too good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was surprised to find out that Diet Coke is actually Diet New Coke, and Coca Cola Zero is actually diet Coke Classic. Apparently, after the New Coke fiasco!, they kept the new diet version of the drink.

Wait... what?

Sort of...

Diet Coke was designed from scratch to be a different taste to Coke to better suit the artificial sweeteners and target market. When they made New Coke they used something like the Diet Coke flavour, just with fructose instead of sweeteners. (Diet Coke has slightly changed at least a couple of times since here in Oz to incorporate improvements in artificial sweeteners.)

Coke Zero is the real Coke recipe, replacing the sugar with sweeteners. No shock then it also tastes a lot better than Diet Coke, and makes you wonder wtf took so long to get it on the market.

It? Coke Zero? does taste a helluva lot like regular Coke, there's no doubt about it.

However, I've been drinking Diet Coke for so long that Coke and Coke Zero both taste weird to me. Diet Pepsi still tastes like doo-doo batter, though.

I'm in the same boat. Hand me a glass of your soda of choice and I can tell you what it is. Each one has its own distinct flavor. I usually prefer Pepsi to Coke, but Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi.

It? Coke Zero? does taste a helluva lot like regular Coke, there's no doubt about it.

However, I've been drinking Diet Coke for so long that Coke and Coke Zero both taste weird to me. Diet Pepsi still tastes like doo-doo batter, though.

Precisely. I can't drink Coke Zero because it tastes too much like Coke - I acquired the taste for Diet Coke.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I was surprised to find out that Diet Coke is actually Diet New Coke, and Coca Cola Zero is actually diet Coke Classic. Apparently, after the New Coke fiasco!, they kept the new diet version of the drink.

Wait... what?

Sort of...

Diet Coke was designed from scratch to be a different taste to Coke to better suit the artificial sweeteners and target market. When they made New Coke they used something like the Diet Coke flavour, just with fructose instead of sweeteners. (Diet Coke has slightly changed at least a couple of times since here in Oz to incorporate improvements in artificial sweeteners.)

Coke Zero is the real Coke recipe, replacing the sugar with sweeteners. No shock then it also tastes a lot better than Diet Coke, and makes you wonder wtf took so long to get it on the market.

Huh... to quote the late Johnny Carson, "I did not know that..."

Guess I'll have to try Coke Zero.

nav-logo.png

Here in Germany it never sais "Classic". There's the normal ones which are calles as Coca Cola, then Coca Cola Light (which is Diet Coke in the US), Coca Cola Light plus, Cherry Coke, Coca Cola Zero and Vanilla Coke. Hope I didn't miss anything. So that's not really a big deal.

In my world, Zero is king! But my favorite will always be Dr. Pepper....kinda been with me since a kid. Always go back to it.

So, here's my humble soda rankings (suited to my personal taste):

1. Dr. Pepper

2. Coke Zero (could own stock....)

3. Dew Livewire (could own stock....)

4. Coca-Cola (no longer classic)

5. Dew - any other flavor, even the new Voltage

6. Coke Cherry

7. Dr. Pepper - any other flavor

H.M. - 7Up Pomegranite (Limited Edition Last Fall) - most original I've ever seen

I hate Pepsi - way way way toooooooooo much sugar. Leaves a nasty aftertaste in my mouth

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Archived