Blue Jays new road alternate

bowld

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Graphite! Graphite! Graphite!

I can only hope :(

NO! NO! NO!

IIRC, it looked bad when they did it last time......

Uh oh... no you didn't!!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Graphite! Graphite! Graphite!

I can only hope :(

NO! NO! NO!

IIRC, it looked bad when they did it last time......

You, sir, remember incorrectly.

fixed1.jpg

fixed2.jpg

How this would have looked with matching graphite pants, though, that's debatable.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's not that a graphite jersey looks bad, it's just that it doesn't work for the Blue Jays. They aren't the Black Jays or the Graphite Jays, they're the Blue Jays. I would support a graphite jersey for a different team, like maybe, if the White Sox wanted to stop reminding everyone of the Black Sox, or if the Pirates would finally ditch the red.

How this would have looked with matching graphite pants, though, that's debatable.

Probably would've looked dull and grim, unsuitable for an outdoor summer sport, just like they did with the ugly graphite hats in 2004.

I submit that there's no place for graphite, not for Toronto, not for Chicago (they should wear white socks, though), not Pittsburgh. It's ugly.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Do you have any rational reason for this (e.g. BallWonk's assertion that the extant grey jerseys have become indistinguishable from white jerseys in a lot of cases), or do you just have an obsession with dark grey? I don't get it. That whole 2004 revamp has been disastrous, graphite or no graphite. It's just awful.

Speaking as the only other person who apparently kinda liked this (though not as much as Braden,) the 2004 revamp was awful, and we're seeing it chipped away bit by bit as a result. The graphite jersey, IMO, could have been the only saving grace of the set. It could have been something distinguishing, and a bit of a breakthrough in a way. When they copped out and went to the standard gray just before the season, the end result was a very drab, unremarkable set with a mishmash of non-complimentary fonts. Note that the graphite jersey doesn't have any piping, sleeve patches, or any other of the usual distinctive features; in this case the jersey's color is enough to make it stand out on its own. When they went to the plain gray, suddenly, it's just a barren-looking yawn. It's a replica jersey being worn on-field.

The unusual graphite color was, to me, the only potential good aspect of a design that was a raging sea of bad. But hey, I also dig the original look of the Philadelphia Soul, so maybe there's just something about that graphite/bright blue combo that really twirls my tassels.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't know. I just can't look at those graphite uniforms. They're so dreary. The regular greys are just as bad. But the real crime were the home jerseys, with the grey numbers/names/script and graphite hats, playing on plastic grass in a plastic-y stadium; it was like someone vacuumed the life right out of baseball. I understand that the Blue Jays have always had a progressive approach to their uniforms (those then-modern soccer numbers, vests, two-tone blue, the silver in '04), but I have no idea how that got greenlit. Or greylit.

Are the Colorado Rockies finally sporting new uniforms for the upcoming 2009 season? Anyone heard any news about that? I heard rumors that they are ditching their pinstripes and sleeveless jerseys or perhaps for the 2010 season. One things I know for certain is that they need a complete overhaul. btw, I am surprised the Pirates got new uniforms, ditching the sleeveless home and road. They are the only major league team that looksed decent with sleevelss jerseys.

Nothing new on the Rockies over at Dressed to the Nines, and they've already added the new Rangers, Red Sox, and Cubs stuff. I think their uniforms are soulless and derivative at best and ugly at worst, but the fact that they won a pennant in them probably buys them another five years of looking like the dimestore White Sox.

The Society for Sports Uniform Research has posted colors for a 2009 Blue Jays alternate.

Based on the colors I'm seeing, it looks like it's going to be a powder blue jersey with the old logo.

I get the feeling it may be this one:

gastonbluefront.jpg

Based on SSUR, all colors are present, and for those who dont see it immediately, the powder blue is on the sleeve cuffs.

SSUR also reports that the primary uniform colour of this jersey is Light Blue "Powder Blue"

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I'm with Braden and Sodboy on Team Graphite. Should the alt and caps and everything else in the home part of the redesign been blue? Probably.

But when it comes to roads, I love it when the teams venture away from the standard gray. The Marlins and Rays used to have a nice green-gray, and I know the Cubs gray used to be different from the White Sox gray. But these are so subtle. (I remember designing and ordering uniforms for an all-star team in 1991 and having the choice between a flat gray and a Sox-like "baseball gray." Went for the latter, as it was more blueish -- and trendy, of course, with the black to match.)

Graphite would have been the best thing about the set, and maybe made the black more forgivable. Maybe. I know having graphite pants could have been a bit much, but using white could have remedied that if it was really needed. I'm glad they are bringing these retro looks back, but it's too bad they couldn't somehow make the overall look more consistent.

But when it comes to roads, I love it when the teams venture away from the standard gray. The Marlins and Rays used to have a nice green-gray, and I know the Cubs gray used to be different from the White Sox gray. But these are so subtle. (I remember designing and ordering uniforms for an all-star team in 1991 and having the choice between a flat gray and a Sox-like "baseball gray." Went for the latter, as it was more blueish -- and trendy, of course, with the black to match.)

Rays never had the "green-gray", but the Marlins sure did. It was a nice contrast to what I was used to seeing on road teams in the Trop.

Archived