Michael Phelps- WHAT A DOPE

scottysprings

But when an NBA or NFL player says he smokes weed, y'all give him all kinds of :censored:.

Interesting.

"Mikey, you smoke all the weed you want. Rickey, you're the biggest douche alive for wanting to smoke weed. Josh Howard is a moron for smoking weed...all those NBA guys are thugs!"

ok i can agree with you on this, but at the same time, you say this a day after admitted drug dealer, and someone who got arrested for possession just this season won the Super Bowl MVP and was in the Disney World commercial as he shouldve been and our new President admitted to doing drugs in his book and admitted he was open to legalizing medicinal marijuana.

as for Phelps, meh. he did his thing in the pool, he may win a few more golds, but then his time will be over and he will be just like alot of olympic athletes, forgotten and only in the news when they screw up.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let him do what he wants.

Short of killing a stripper with a crowbar, that is...

But killing a stripper with a gun is perfectly fine, of course.

Although I don't want to get too much into my political beliefs, I think that marijuana should be illegal (as it already is) and that Phelps should be penalized accordingly (whatever the current laws are). It was stupid for him to do this at a party with people that are all drooling over him, etc. Of course someone was going to take a picture! What did he expect?

I don't think it should be as big a deal as they are making of it though. He's doing this on his "vacation time." Many other 23-year-olds do the same thing every day, but because he is known as a celebrity they make it out like he is a bad person or something.

According to the IOC he didn't break any rules and you can't get prosecuted for smoking in the past. So really he can't get in any trouble.

yankees-1.png

Replying late, but someone said earlier in the thread that a person can be addicted to marijuana. It's a small point, but it's an important one: no, you can't.

Addiction is a chemical -- your body because accustomed to an element and then needs it to function. It's why former heroin addicts and alcoholics go through withdrawal when they kick their habits. Their bodies are telling them they need more of a certain element, it's not getting it, and thus breaks down.

Marijuana can lead to dependency, which is psychological. You may convince yourself you need to smoke a lot of weed to be happy, or to have fun, or to think, but that's in your mind. If you smoked weed every day for a year and then gave it up on day 366, your body wouldn't notice the difference. You wouldn't convulse, you wouldn't sweat, and you wouldn't do all of the nasty things former junkies (or coffee drinkers) do when they can't get their fix anymore.

Anyway, re: Michael Phelps -- the president of the US admitted to using coke. I thought we were past this :censored:.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Replying late, but someone said earlier in the thread that a person can be addicted to marijuana. It's a small point, but it's an important one: no, you can't.

Addiction is a chemical -- your body because accustomed to an element and then needs it to function. It's why former heroin addicts and alcoholics go through withdrawal when they kick their habits. Their bodies are telling them they need more of a certain element, it's not getting it, and thus breaks down.

Marijuana can lead to dependency, which is psychological. You may convince yourself you need to smoke a lot of weed to be happy, or to have fun, or to think, but that's in your mind. If you smoked weed every day for a year and then gave it up on day 366, your body wouldn't notice the difference. You wouldn't convulse, you wouldn't sweat, and you wouldn't do all of the nasty things former junkies (or coffee drinkers) do when they can't get their fix anymore.

Anyway, re: Michael Phelps -- the president of the US admitted to using coke. I thought we were past this :censored:.

Addiction is debatable. Some say you can become addicted, others have said you cannot. While it is true there is a completely different level of withdrawal between the harder drugs and weed, there are still lingering side effects. There is a reason why every once in awhile a new study comes out on its effects, there is no conclusive evidence to go either way. So you can't say there is no level of substance addiction when there it is constantly being challenged and proven inconclusive.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Addiction is debatable. The US government says you can become addicted, independent studies have said you cannot.

Fixed.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Anyway, re: Michael Phelps -- the president of the US admitted to using coke. I thought we were past this :censored: .

Addiction is debatable. The US government says you can become addicted, independent studies have said you cannot.

Fixed.

The American Way: if you can't tax it, make it illegal!

VmWIn6B.png

That's where I'm going to have to call you.

Medically, addiction is:

1. Physiologically or psychologically dependent on a habit-forming substance.

2. Compulsively or habitually involved in a practice or behavior, such as gambling.

So you don't have to have chemicals in order to become addicted. Even then, using your definition; Cannabis is a psychoactive drug and uses a chemical reaction of THC and CBD to produce your "high".

Well, tenth grade health class taught me different. So there.

And not that it proves anything, but Wikipedia says:

In medical terminology, an addiction is a state in which the body relies on a substance for normal functioning and develops physical dependence, as in drug addiction. When the drug or substance on which someone is dependent is suddenly removed, it will cause withdrawal, a characteristic set of signs and symptoms. Addiction is generally associated with increased drug tolerance. In physiological terms, addiction is not necessarily associated with substance abuse since this form of addiction can result from using medication as prescribed by a doctor.

However, common usage of the term addiction has spread to include psychological dependence. In this context, the term is used in drug addiction and substance abuse problems, but also refers to behaviors that are not generally recognized by the medical community as problems of addiction, such as compulsive overeating.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

In medical terminology, an addiction is a state in which the body relies on a substance for normal functioning and develops physical dependence, as in drug addiction. When the drug or substance on which someone is dependent is suddenly removed, it will cause withdrawal, a characteristic set of signs and symptoms. Addiction is generally associated with increased drug tolerance. In physiological terms, addiction is not necessarily associated with substance abuse since this form of addiction can result from using medication as prescribed by a doctor.

However, common usage of the term addiction has spread to include psychological dependence. In this context, the term is used in drug addiction and substance abuse problems, but also refers to behaviors that are not generally recognized by the medical community as problems of addiction, such as compulsive overeating.

Yea... I'd consult a medical dictionary before taking something off Wikipedia for fact. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Yea... I'd consult a medical dictionary before taking something off Wikipedia for fact. :P

Either way, and back on topic, Phelps smoked pot. We really shouldn't care. Even if he swam while high, I'd be doubly impressed.

Either way, and back on topic, Phelps smoked pot. We really shouldn't care. Even if he swam while high, I'd be doubly impressed.

And that was my on-topic point a few posts back. This whole "outrage" is stupid.

Although I don't want to get too much into my political beliefs, I think that marijuana should be illegal (as it already is) and that Phelps should be penalized accordingly (whatever the current laws are). It was stupid for him to do this at a party with people that are all drooling over him, etc. Of course someone was going to take a picture! What did he expect?

I don't think it should be as big a deal as they are making of it though. He's doing this on his "vacation time." Many other 23-year-olds do the same thing every day, but because he is known as a celebrity they make it out like he is a bad person or something.

According to the IOC he didn't break any rules and you can't get prosecuted for smoking in the past. So really he can't get in any trouble.

I didn't mean with the IOC, I guess I kind of meant with the law, but I don't really understand how all that works because of the fact that he was smoking it and not dealing it, etc. I'm really an idiot when it comes to the legal issues of drugs.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

I didn't mean with the IOC, I guess I kind of meant with the law, but I don't really understand how all that works because of the fact that he was smoking it and not dealing it, etc. I'm really an idiot when it comes to the legal issues of drugs.

All you really need to know is, the "I'm holding it for a friend" isn't a viable legal defense.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

All you really need to know is, the "I'm holding it for a friend" isn't a viable legal defense.

Ok, that's what I thought. So what I was saying was he should be penalized accordingly by the law. I couldn't care less about the IOC.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

But when an NBA or NFL player says he smokes weed, y'all give him all kinds of :censored:.

Interesting.

"Mikey, you smoke all the weed you want. Rickey, you're the biggest douche alive for wanting to smoke weed. Josh Howard is a moron for smoking weed...all those NBA guys are thugs!"

I find myself in agreement with this.

Michael Phelps appears to be a bright guy, so I'm sure he's aware that cannabis is an illegal substance, both as far as US law and the IOC are concerned. So why he allowed himself to be photographed smoking said illegal substance was just a stupid move on his part. And stupidity of that level means he should face whatever consequences he has coming.

Interesting.

the difference is that that Ricky Williams(31) and Josh Howard (28) are grown men and have been in the spotlight and out of college for years and should be used to the responsibilities of being in that spotlight. to this point phelps hasn't really screwed up or even been out of the pool long enough to do so. yes he made a mistake and he shouldn't have done it. Ricky and Josh should have acted just as responsible as he should have, but they should have known to make better choices...hes just a kid...they aren't.

BobbySig.png

I've never smoked weed or cigerettes in my life, but 85% of my friends have, and honestly I'd rather them smoke weed than cigerettes.

Just my opinion.

You need to get new friends :P .

I'm not saying they do it often, some do, but most have only tried it once, maybe.

But you're still probably right.

Maybe I should of rephrased what I said:

...85% of the people I know have...

^_^

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived