Mac Killed My Inner Child

CJR

Guest -*jonkj*-

The main point of his little spoof is that Mac's are unstable and "shut down" without any warning. But I've used both Macs and PCs for years, and PCs historically are a lot more unstable than Macs. The only legitimate claim he made was the click-and-drag-leading-to-shortcut problem.

Ah well, PCs vs Macs is like GOP vs Democrats. It's two groups that will always argue with themselves even though there's flaws for both.

The main point of his little spoof is that Mac's are unstable and "shut down" without any warning. But I've used both Macs and PCs for years, and PCs historically are a lot more unstable than Macs. The only legitimate claim he made was the click-and-drag-leading-to-shortcut problem.

Every Mac I've ever used breaks at the worst time possible, every time. I never have problems like that with my PC. I don't know how people can get stuff done on a Mac. My digital media classes use a Mac lab and every class in about the middle of the class, they all shut down on their own. No one knows why. My PC never turns off on its own.

i don't understand why people bash on different types of computers. i have both a mac and a pc running windows xp. i don't have a problem with either computer. i love my mac, i like my pc. i guess it's just a matter of preference and knowledge of the OS. i prefer the mac OS, but i don't hate windows either. i believe that both OS's can co-exist.....at least they do in my house.

I've been using Macs for 12 years...I've never had one shut down on its own. I have apps freeze/bomb/crash in the middle of a file or program, but that's happened on both Macs & PCs.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Thats a good spoof of the Macentrash comericals.

I have worked on Macs in college computer labs and tehy are the worst, but my HP Pavillion gives me loads of problems too so nothing is perfect. I just perfer the lay out of Windows better, if I learned on Mac I guess I would perfer Macs.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Mac leaves itself open to great spoofs. I love finding them, just to annoy the myriad of "Mac evangelist" friends I have. :D

Sleeplessknights seems to have taken down their iBrator site, at least temporarily. Dangit. If you've never seen it, it's comedy gold. Someone at least has one of the spoof commercials up. Exceptionally well-done spoof of the iMac commercials.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I have both a Mac and PC at work. I like them better for different apps. I use the Mac for graphic design and video editing. The PC is for word processing, internet and other technical programs. I have no preference for either, but they both do some things better than the other.

At home, I have a PC that freezes on me on a regular basis. I hate it. Of course, it has Windows ME, the worst operating system ever. I need to change OS desperately.

I'm guessing very few people who have replied and complained about Mac OS have used the more recent computers. My computer (iMac G4, runs OS 10.3) has only frozen twice in it's history with me (since October of 2002). It's beautiful, I can run Windows programs on Virtual PC (I only use that for the occasional pinball game, it runs way too slow). I can use Appleworks for typing, drawing, and just about everything involved in that (I don't see the [oint of using three programs to do one general thing), however I would love to have Word (best typing program EVER, my parents should be getting it for our Macs soon). Fact is, I've always found Macs to be the most efficient for what I want to do, I use iLife to create movies (one of my favorite things to do), I had iTunes store before Windows users, and I have Safari, which is (by far) the best browser I've ever used. Since I started using Safari, I've had only one pop-up (it would figure to be one for a pop up blocker program), I've been so spoiled by Safari that I go to my friends' houses and use their PCs and I get confused when I see a pop up. In short, I love my Mac, I've used PCs in school every year of my school life, and I've used the most recent systems at my cousin's house. None, in my mind, comapre to the good looks (including graphics), fast use, and simple user interface of the Macintosh. But that's just my opinion, I get made fun of at school for it, but I've had no problems printing anything, or typing anything, I just don't open every program on my desktop to keep it fast. It works, that's just what I think.

Just so you know, I've used Macs and Windows since forever. I won't bash because I hate it when people do that, but I will say that the only downsides I've ever found with a Mac is the low software compatiblity and the high price (mine was somewhere around $2,200 w/tax and Apple Care)

Abbey.jpg

I use Macs exclusively at school, and yes they are a pain... everything from the hockey puck one-button mouse, to the impossibility of finding the desktop if you have more than one program opening.

I don't know how some Mac users have never had their macs crash on them... i only use them at school, and they are always shutting off at random times, all over the classroom, with that annoying chime sound it plays when it restarts.

PC has it's share of problems, but it seems all the Mac problems are caused by the fact it doesnt want some features because a PC has those features. (second mouse button... please!)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Yes, two button mouses are helpful, but to leftclick you can control-click with a little help from your keyboard. It's more of a hassle, but it's never bothered me. If you want to find your desktop on OS X (which happens to be the only OS that I will support), you can press F9 to show all windows on the screen to choose a window, F10 to show all windows in the program that is currently running, and F11 to see the desktop. Nothing ets lost, i promise, it simply move the windows around.

It isn't that Apple doesn't want the features because Windows has them (at least what you've stated), it's that Apple wants to update those features, and make them more user friendly. by the way, Chris, what kind of Macs do you use at school. I find that more and more people give me their battle against Apple by using examples from computers that I stopped using years ago. For reference, I've had an IBM which I never used because it was old, a Mac that ran OS 7 (it gave me more trouble than i asked for), a power PC (Macintosh) that ran OS 8 and then 9.2 and i used it a lot dispite the fact that it crashed a ton and it didn't work too well. And I currently use my iMac G4, no hassles. :notworthy:

Abbey.jpg

This is absolutely a conversation that has everythign to do with what you are used to. If you use a PC, you would look like a bumbling fool on a Mac, if you always had a mac, you couldn't stand a PC.

Myself, I have used both, and have even taken jobs where i was required to use one or the other.

The big differences I see in them is that PC is MUCH more ubiquitous, while Macs aren't as common. Word works much better on a PC. Mac users are televangelistic in their love for their machines.

The crashing probelms people are talking about occur only on one type of machine- and old one. I have a new PC at home, and it hasn't crashed in 6 months of HARD use. I have a PC at work, it crashes twice a day. I have had MACs that crashed more than they worked, but they were old, alarm-clock-radio-technology beasts.

Pick somehting and run with it, or do like Joel, and have both.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Macs all the way. I've had my current Mac for 16 months and it has NEVER crashed (programs do, but they can be shut off without having to reboot) or frozen.

Macs are so much easier to use than Windows. Perhaps if you learn on a windows, it's hard to figure out a Mac, but it takes less time to figure out a Mac with a clean slate then I Windows. I'm pretty confident in that statement.

I have to use Windows just about anywhere else I go, and I HATE it. They are always having program errors and "illegal operations". Why the boof did they program illegal operations into the machines?

As for Word? It may well be the industry standard, but I can't figure out why. The menus you find things under just don't make any sense. I'll take AppleWorks over word in a second.

As for Bill Gates, I respect him as a businessman, but not as a creator. He does't create anything. He steals and gets away with it. He takes what Mac (or another innovative tech company) does, puts out a crappy version of it, but manages to sell more. The courts at one point said, yeah you stole it, but since you've done so well with it, we'll let you off...

Oh, and if you wanna talk about shutting off at the wrong time, Bill Gates was showing off his Windows 95 and it crashed on him. Very fitting. They are bad ripoffs of Macs.

And since my actually endless stream of thoughts is coming to an end, I'll close with this example of much simpler Macs are...

"How to install SimTower for Windows 3.1 and Windows 95

Put the SimTower CD into your CD-ROM drive.

1. Start Windows 3.1 and open the Program Manager. (Win 95 users open the Windows 95 Start menu.)

2. Open the File menu and select Run... (Win 95 users select Run...)

3. In the box under the words "Command Line:" type D:\SETUP [Enter] or E:\SETUP [Enter], depending on what letter is assigned to your CD drive. (Don't forget the colon!) (Win 95 users type the same in the box.)

4. Click OK. (Win 95 users Click OK.)

5. Follow the on screen instructions and a SimTower icon will be created in a Maxis program group. Double click the icon to run SimTower.

How to install SimTower for Macintosh

Put the SimTower CD into your CD-ROM drive.

1. Double-click the SimTower icon on your desktop.

2. Double-click the SimTower application and play the game."

Oh, and as for the puck mouse, they don't have that anymore. I never minded it, but a lot did, so they don't have it anymore. Now they come with optical mouses where the whole mouse is the button (don't worry windows users, it doesn't just push, you still have to apply pressure). Having two buttons isn't neccessary. Control click is just as easy for me.

Oh, and him complaining about our control-alt-delete...apple-option-esc, is not hard to do it all. I usually put my left hand on the apple-option and my right on the esc in the rare chance I need to, but if the moron has to much trouble with that, all he has to do is put his right hand on the keys on the right side, and his left hand on the esc, it's not hard at all. Anyone who can't figure that out is a moron right there.

STL Fanatic, well put. Chris, were you using iMacs and just iMacs? iMac G4s are an almost completely different computer. In fact, the only thing they have in common right out of the box is that they look pretty darn cool. Apple has come a long way in only a few years, maybe 5. It has gone from these gosh-awful beige Power PC towers to the most beautifully running (and just beautiful) G5 towers that have all kinds of speed and stability. The problem is that when people think Apple, they don't think 'innovation' or 'user interface' (the easiest I've ever used), but they think 'slow' and 'crashable'. All computers are crashable, it happens, I've lost all sorts of stuff to that. In fact, I refuse to even begin to deal wih any of my old computers because i like to get things done efficiently, and without any un-human fault. I have everything I need in a computer in my Mac, and a whole heck of a lot more. I'm in love with my computer. I have the space, the speed, and the graphics to make it work wonderfully. I love having iLife standard, and a great typing and drawing program standard (have you ever heard anyone say, "It looks bad because I did it in Appleworks"?), and my favorite is the easy customability. I can have whatever pictures, and whatever icons, I want anywhere, anytime. They can even be window backgrounds. I don't deal with AOL anymore, all I have is my AIM screenname. Everything works, and that's all I need to know.

Abbey.jpg

Archived