Sharks 7th Man Award

Puckguy14

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rick Lessard played only in the inaugural season. Lessard's claim to fame was he assisted on Pat Falloon's first NHL goal.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Ahhh Pat Falloon...he really panned out as the hype said didn't he? :rolleyes:

BTW, Shawn Donovan spells his name SHEAN, not Shawn. Not really something big, just lettin' ya know. For some reason too, whenever I think of him, I think of him in a SJ Sharks original jersey for some strange reason??? :therock:

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• 1 month later...

UPDATE TIME!!!! I was contacted by the NHL PR department. They wanted to know more why my fandom goes above and beyond. This is the letter I sent along with the picture below.

Greetings from the Bay Area! I've been a Sharks fan since October 4, 1991, when the Sharks came to San Jose. While sitting at the dinner table, listening to play-by-play of the Sharks inaugural game, little did I know, thirteen years later, that the San Jose Sharks and the NHL would change my life forever.

It began that night; the Sharks were playing against the Vancouver Canucks that my entire Shark phenomenon would begin. When the team unveiled the pacific teal and black uniform, it was the ONLY thing on my Christmas and birthday list that year! (My birthday coincides with Canada's Boxing Day on December 26th.)

The inspiration of the Sharks dynamic logo prompted me later in the inaugural season, to design an All-Star Game logo for the team to use once San Jose Arena was opened. I was only 13 years old at the time! I wasn't expecting any response, but a month later after the season ended, I got a letter from the then Sharks President & CEO Art Savage. In the letter, Mr. Savage states, "your artwork is great and we appreciate your support." This letter inspired me to pursue a career in graphic design with an emphasis in sports logo and identity. Today, my personal web site is a tribute to the team in which I call the Teal Town Zone. It is widely considered one of the most popular fan sites for the San Jose Sharks. I have Mr. Savage's letter framed hanging in front of my computer to always remind me that his simple gesture of writing me and thanking me inspired me to design sports logos as a career or at least to continue to be a SJ Sharks supporter!

As I stated in my essay, I suffered a knee injury in 1992-93. Right before I turned 14, I slightly tore ligaments in my right knee. The doctor noticed my Sharks jersey and said rollerblading was a good idea to increase strength in my knees. So, I convinced my dad to take me ice skating for the very first time at Berkeley Iceland. This led to me to start taking skating lessons, which then led to begging my parents for hockey lessons and by the time I was 15, I began playing hockey in Berkeley, CA and continue to play pick up hockey at Oakland Ice Center. Since 1995 I've been trying to emulate Sharks players such as Pat Falloon, Owen Nolan and Jonathan Cheechoo in my game.

By this time, my collection of Sharks memorabilia was growing. My room and storage space in the attic is the epitome of SJ Sharks souvenirs. As of today, I now own nine Sharks jerseys received autographed sticks from the team through various events. I have at least a two game day programs from every season, and my game tape collection is now over 200 games dating back to 1993-94 including every Sharks postseason win since 1999. My trading card collection has approximately 8,000 to 10,000 cards that are in order by each season and include each pocket schedule from every season. Pucks are my personal favorite. From finding a Sharks puck only available in Vancouver, the site of the Sharks inaugural game, to limited edition pucks commemorating this historic season, its here! If it has the Sharks logo on it, it's almost certain I have it in here! I also try for the rare collectibles! After each game, I go to the broadcast pit at the Shark Tank to chat with the Sharks broadcast team and they hand me the same notes and stats they use during the game. My Sharkive area in my room is bursting with everything Sharks and everything pacific teal! Speaking of teal, while my house is painted white, I personally made the trim teal so everyone knows which hockey team I support! Even my high school ring, I made sure that the center stone was Teal to represent my true dedication to the Sharks Pacific Teal!

Due to lack of funds, I've only been able to attend at the most 5 games a season, but I am glued to my television cheering them on while recording the game to review it again and again to better my own technique in playing hockey. I've been to 37 games in 13 seasons and win or lose I always root for my Sharks. I live about 56.2 miles from HP Pavilion and the near hour long drive is worth it to see Team Teal live in action. This postseason I've been volunteering at Sharks games, handing out playoff towels or

pom- poms, in order to see my team play. My boss at work conveniently schedules me around games to make sure that the Sharks' biggest fan is in Teal Town come playoff time!

Everyone at work is rooting for me to be awarded the Ultimate NHL 7th Man Award because watching the team has made me adapt their work ethic in everything I do: dedication, commitment, honor, pride, and sacrifice.

I nicknamed myself, "puckguy" back in 1996 because that is when my collections of pucks began to increase to Puckland! Recently at the Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals, I met Hockey Night in Canada, analyst Don Cherry and Ron MacLean. As they walked passed me, Don Cherry yells out, "Nice nickname Puckguy!" Everyone besides the people who I chat to on SJ Sharks.com, Chris Creamers Sports Logo Boards, The Feeder Boards all refer to me as Puckguy, even though they know my real name as Erik.

Please consider me at the Ultimate NHL 7th Man Award because of As a true fan of the San Jose Sharks and NHL Hockey, I can honestly say that I am a person who appreciates the teams and what they stand for, enjoys the true sportsmanship of Shark hockey and NHL hockey, I have dedicated myself to being a faithful Shark fan-whether they win or lose, and act as a representative for the Sharks by always wearing a SJ Shark pin or a shirt where ever I go. By the way, I also have Colorado Avalanche, Nashville Predators, Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, and Minnesota North Stars.

Enclosed is a picture of my Sharkive area that has been decorated for the Playoffs and also a copy of the letter from former President and CEO Arthur Savage of the SJ Sharks.

Thank you for taking the time to read my essay and considering me for this FINominal award.

room.jpg

Those are only the Sharks pucks...except for that 2003 Stanley Cup puck that my mom snuck in there.

44, plus the Cup puck are Sharks. I also have various pucks from other teams such as Quebec Nordiques, NY Islanders, my junior team the Oakland Bears, Dallas Stars, Chicago Blackhawks, SF Spiders (IHL), Pittsburgh Penguins, Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Washington Capitals, Toronto Maple Leafs, yada yada yada.

oops 45 Sharks pucks. That practice puck is the puck I dropped before the SJ-LA game.

PAT FALLOON... ahahahahhaahaha... congrats puckguy... but me and you have already discussed my thought on Fat Balloon... i mean Pat Falloon (the guys playing senior hockey near my home town, great waste of a 1st rounder)... :D definately pulling for you man... im sure if there was a way to turn your blood teal you would have done it by now... lol...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Cool. Good job in getting into the top 3. What other teams are represented their? BTW, I love your Carebear :hockeysmiley:

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

im sure if there was a way to turn your blood teal you would have done it by now... lol...

Just another reason to cheer for the Flames--my blood's red...

That's not meant to bait you Puckguy--I understand why you're a Shark fan--interesting series so far huh?

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Brass, Ha ha ha! That was mine before my dog pretty much bit his head off. Hey, it's teal, might as well put it in there. Also, that is pretty much the logo I use for myself, with a moon and a star.

Stampman, I would've dyed my blood teal by now! BTW, its gonna be an interesting two days. 2 games in two nights. For Calgary it could be a 30 hour difference between 2-1 and the Stanley Cup Finals.

OR

For San Jose, a 30 hour difference from being 2-1 to a 3-2 lead or defecit.

Either way, this series is getting more and more enjoyable. I'll be one of the people in teal Monday night! I get my 7th man jersey officially on Monday.

Archived