ScottySprings' NCAA Football (08-09) Top 25 Countdown

scottysprings

Alright, I've been in quite a mood to make football uniforms lately. I remember nyy had done a top 25 redesign series a couple of years ago and I figured it would be a good idea to have my own shot at it. As you would expect, there are a good number of teams in the top 25 with iconic and practically untouchable uniforms. My objective is to make at least one tweak to every uniform, even if it considered negligible by some. My goal isn't really to redesign and change every teams' uniforms for the heck of it, but to make the best possible looking top 25.

AP Top 25 Teams Completed:

#25- Brigham Young

#24- Michigan State

#23- West Virginia

#22- Georgia Tech

#21- Florida State

#20- Iowa

#19- Missouri

#18- Oregon State

#17- Cincinnati

#16- Oklahoma State

#15- Virginia Tech

#14- Ole Miss

#13- Georgia

#12- Texas Tech

#11- Boise State

#10- Oregon

#9- Ohio State

#8- Penn State

#7- TCU

#6- Alabama

#5- Oklahoma

#4- Texas

#3- Southern California

#2- Utah

#1- Florida

Non-AP Top 25 Teams Completed:

Binghamton

The first team (or last depending on how you look at it) I've done is the Brigham Young Cougars, who hold the #25 ranking. BYU happens to have one of the most classic uniforms in the NCAA. I made a few small changes including adding shoulder numbers, adding a "COUGARS" wordmark under the collar, and removing the MWC logo from the chest and the oval "Y" logo from the collar. I'm not really expecting much praise being I didn't really do that much, but I think I like the look better than what they have now.

BYU version 2: changed pants striping to match helmet.

BYU-1.png

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

still looks good as before:)...my only suggestion is to add a small conference patch, and to make the helmet stripe match the pants stripe by changing either.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Okay, here are the#24 Michigan State Spartans. I also left this one pretty similar to their current set with a few small changes. The block "MICHIGAN STATE" on the current uniforms is too small and elongated so I took an idea from dp's Michigan State concept from a few months ago and put the "STATE" wordmark on the chest. It definitely adds a bit more character to the uniforms. I also made the collar and cuffs on the white jersey green for a bit of contrast.

Michigan-State.png

Okay, here are the#24 Michigan State Spartans. I also left this one pretty similar to their current set with a few small changes. The block "MICHIGAN STATE" on the current uniforms is too small and elongated so I took an idea from dp's Michigan State concept from a few months ago and put the "STATE" wordmark on the chest. It definitely adds a bit more character to the uniforms. I also made the collar and cuffs on the white jersey green for a bit of contrast.

Michigan-State.png

Looks good...for a State uniform B)

Alrighty, here are the #23 West Virginia Mountaineers. I made a few more changes here than on the past two teams. I really liked the side paneling they introduced a couple of years ago that replaced the bronco side paneling they had. Between the striped collar and the under collar wordmark the old uniforms on the whole were too cluttered. One thing I did like about them was that they used white, something the new uniforms have shied away from. What I did was keep their current template, because it is a truly unique and identifiable design, but I made the paneling two tone. I also removed the "WV" logo from the collar, the Big East logo, added shoulder numbers, removed the WV from the sleeves, changed the pants striping a tiny bit, and added in helmet striping to fit the look. Commentary is welcome as always!!

Edit: V2, reversed the helmet logo colors

WVU-1.png

As far as practicality/fan acceptance goes, these uniforms would probably not fly. While I personally think their best set is blue jerseys/white pants, WVU football has been fairly strictly blue and gold only, with white only coming in as a very occasional alternate color and of course the away jerseys.

Now, with all that out of the way, I really like the design. Complaints first: I don't like that number set. The 8s, 5s, 6s, and 9s, are hard to read from the stands. I think it would even be improved if the italicizing was simply removed from them. On the flying WV on the helmet, switch the stroke and fill colors: make it gold with a white stroke. Stuff I like: the addition of white! It makes the set seem more complete and it compliments the gold well when they are paired up. I like that you kept the current template as well. While I'm not the biggest fan of its modernism, I think it's far better than what WVU wore in 2005ish. My favorite addition: the helmet stripe. It's pretty genius considering all the 'shwooshiness' of the rest of the set.

Overall: I like it quite a bit. ^_^

Wow. That WVU concept is niiiice. It's a good example of making a modern template really work. The continuity between the pants, jersey, and helmet is my favorite part. You took the basic idea of their current set, and really, you made it look much better. The other two concepts are nothing to write home about but they still look excellent in terms of cleanliness. I like the idea of the series. I'm sure you will come up with some great stuff in the future, too. Nice work.

This is really nice. The Mountaineers one looks great. Like others have said, it incorporates white well, and overall works well. I'd switch the colors on the helmet logo, and make the pants striping come to a point. It looks a little odd, just like it got chopped off. Make those changes, and this is as close to a perfect WVU uniform as I've seen. The BYU one is excellent, as well.

scotland_fifasig.png

Thanks for the comments on WVU, I changed the helmet logo and agree it looks a lot better.

Next up is #22, the Georgia Institute of Technology Yellow Jackets. I like their current uniforms but I definitely preferred what they were wearing when Calvin Johnson was playing there. I used the throwback white helmet as opposed to the mustard one they're using now as well as a very similar template to what they used a few years ago. Drawing from their current set I kept the wordmark under the collar. I also really like the white pants that they're usingl so I kept the monochrome white set going here. Not much else to say but I think it's a good look for them. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks, especially Lindsay :P Hit me up!

GT-1.png

That's an excellent GT concept. I like the overall look, and the sleeve striping is really nice. The white helmet does a lot, as well. I'm impressed with how this is progressing. The navy looks great with the gold. Are you going to make a navy alt? Because in my opinion if you did that it would make the concept even better. Great work.

scotland_fifasig.png

As much as I hate tech, these are very good looking. But I wouldn't want to see these in action, haha, because right now the only thing UGA has on them is better football unis. But I'll just help to add to the praise pile here: you are 4/4 in my book. I don't know who is 21 but I'm looking forward to it. I haven't seen many football concepts lately besides bohobs, and definitely not many NCAA ones, so I'm enjoying this series.

I really appreciate all of the praise and comments I've received so far, thanks everyone.

The next team on the countdown is the #21 Florida State Seminoles. The 'Noles have one of my favorite looks in the NCAA but I found it within myself to make a few tweaks to it. The pattern on the collar and cuffs is extremely unique and looks awesome in action so I kept it as an integral aspect of the design. On the garnet jersey I actually used a darker garnet for the base of the collar and cuffs to add a bit more of a deep color contrast. I experimented with editing the number font to be more of a custom native inspired face (see Hawaii) but nothing really looked that great. Another change is the addition of the spear logo to the shoulders. I wanted to give the pants a bit more character so I tried a few different things out. I thought I had a great idea in putting a feather design on the pants like they use for their basketball uniforms but it looked horrible. I wound up going with a striping design based off of the "FSU" logo that I used on the rear helmet bumper. What do you think?

V.2- Changed the shoulder logo to FSU monogram and eliminated the socks stripes.

FSU-1.png

Archived