NFL Logos

random_ax

I'm not sure if anyone here knows the process involved, but I've always wondered just how the logos get created/approved. Let's say that LA gets a franchise and for this question, we'll call them the LA Condors...... As an owner, I would assume you have final say over what the team name and logo would be. A)What input does the NFL have in that. For instance, I would think the league would have some way to object if I had decided to go with LA Gangbangers or LA Uzis.... I'm sure they weren't happy to hear that one of the groups vying for the Tennessee franchise wanted to name the team the Memphis Hound Dogs (part of that group represented the Presley estate).

B) So, I want the LA Condors, does the NFL have a graphics department that finds maybe 5 artists to design concepts for me to choose from or can I go out and use, let's say, one of my artists at the company I own? And soes the NFL then get the chance to say no to my chosen design?

NFL Properties kind of guides teams through names and uniforms and stuff. I'm sure you could use your own guys, but the league would Strongly Prefer that you let them handle it for the greater good, and that's how you end up with the Bengals, Cardinals, Falcons, Texans, and Seahawks basically using the same wordmark.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

NFL Properties kind of guides teams through names and uniforms and stuff. I'm sure you could use your own guys, but the league would Strongly Prefer that you let them handle it for the greater good, and that's how you end up with the Bengals, Cardinals, Falcons, Texans, and Seahawks basically using the same wordmark.

Thanks, makes sense.

Which are all variations of the Broncos wordmark anyway.

And all created by (or contracted out to, at least) the same guy/guys/company...Verlander Design. (Although I'm unsure of who it was that did the Broncos' 1996 identity. Wordmark looks like it coulda been Verlander, but I've also heard Nike was responsible for that overhaul. Anyone know anything for certain about that?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

And all created by (or contracted out to, at least) the same guy/guys/company...Verlander Design. (Although I'm unsure of who it was that did the Broncos' 1996 identity. Wordmark looks like it coulda been Verlander, but I've also heard Nike was responsible for that overhaul. Anyone know anything for certain about that?)

I'm not sure if Nike was the only one behind it. But I do know they had a big part in the new identity.

jNTsTyQ.png

NFL Properties were also behind the change to the Saints' helmet FDL, saying reducing its size and putting outlines on it would make it 'pop' (overused word!!) more on the gold helmet. Interestingly, they went too small at first and had to make the new FDL bigger (3rd pic). So the Saints have gone from ridiculously large in '67 to a reasonable size to too small to just about right. :D

mini68a.jpgbf2d_1.JPGSaintsHelmet3.jpgSaintsHelmet2.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

NFL Properties were also behind the change to the Saints' helmet FDL, saying reducing its size and putting outlines on it would make it 'pop' (overused word!!) more on the gold helmet. Interestingly, they went too small at first and had to make the new FDL bigger (3rd pic). So the Saints have gone from ridiculously large in '67 to a reasonable size to too small to just about right. :D

And they were absolutley correct. The currrent FDL is perfect IMO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So say when the Falcons changed their logos, and the NFL came up with some concepts and ultimately decided upon the current logo set, could Arthur Blank say he wants something different for the wordmark because it looks too much like other teams? I guess I am wondering if the owners have authority over the NFL in final logo decisions. Can anyone answer this?

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

No one shape needs to be outlined three times.

Yeah, I never really understood the point of the thin gold outline tossed in there... you can't even see it in most cases.

Agreed...took this shot at Tennessee in the preseason a couple of years ago and if you have to be that close to see it, what's the point? They should have gone with a slightly thinner black outline flush with the white outline.

IMG_9141.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Broncos was designed solely by Nike. One of the main designers on that project, who now owns his own firm, was Art Director on the Texans in collaboration with Verlander.

Archived