CFL to the USA... again?

Joshawaggie

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oronde Gadsden's last go-round on the ownership side of things were a couple of disastrously managed NIFL teams. The CFL would be advised to not touch him with a thirty foot pole.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oronde Gadsden's last go-round on the ownership side of things were a couple of disastrously managed NIFL teams. The CFL would be advised to not touch him with a thirty foot pole.

Make that 10 yards... :P

I saw, I came, I left.

?Those are two great cities that would support the game and would really fill a niche if we can get agreements from the league, then one of the cities,? Gadsden said.

"... and a gazillion dollars, and a leprechaun, and some magic beans, and a clue."

Sounds like Mr. Gadsden is just floating an idea with no indication of whether the league is even remotely interested. I can't imagine they would be. The league's previous U.S. expansion was interesting, but far from successful. I can't imagine why they would try it again, especially in this economy.

?Those are two great cities that would support the game and would really fill a niche if we can get agreements from the league, then one of the cities,? Gadsden said.

"... and a gazillion dollars, and a leprechaun, and some magic beans, and a clue."

Sounds like Mr. Gadsden is just floating an idea with no indication of whether the league is even remotely interested. I can't imagine they would be. The league's previous U.S. expansion was interesting, but far from successful. I can't imagine why they would try it again, especially in this economy.

I can NOT see this happening.

They are going to worry about Ottawa before anything else.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Didn't work, not gonna work again. Neither will the US.

CFL...focus on Canadian expansion

NFL...focus on American expansion (actual necessity of expansion debateable)

Leave it at that.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

The CFL needs to stay out of the US. I don't mean anything xenophobic by that, in fact it's quite the opposite. Let's not perpetuate the idea that businesses can't survive without the States' help. How about leaving it as something that Canadians can take pride in as their own?

Leave it at that.

Hey, the CFL US Expansion worked wonders last time, right?

Baltimore was a success... without the way the fans supported the Stallions you probably wouldn't have seen the Ravens as soon as you did - if ever.

I think expansion to the US could work if they kept it to close-to-the-border college football towns; Syracuse, Boise off the top of my head

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Baltimore was a success... without the way the fans supported the Stallions you probably wouldn't have seen the Ravens as soon as you did - if ever.

I think expansion to the US could work if they kept it to close-to-the-border college football towns; Syracuse, Boise off the top of my head

Baltimore was a success and if I'm not mistaken, Sacramento had a nice run, as did Vegas initially. However, there were some real "gems" brought about in the American expansion, such as the infamous San Antonio squad and Shreveport, who IIRC couldn't sell out a high school stadium, let alone the one they played in.

Perhaps if they put a team in Syracuse as you mentioned, and ones in towns like Missoula, Montana they may have a little more success this time around.

Ultimately, I think they have to get the Ottawa situation resolved before they start US expansion, but that's just me.

Texas.gif

Leave it at that.

Hey, the CFL US Expansion worked wonders last time, right?

It was a success, if you count the expansion fees that helped prop up the existing Canadian teams for a few more years until the league regained its credibility and self-respect.

Expanding to the south was a dumb idea, but overall, I agree with Chris. Keep it close to the border, with natural geographic rivals, and it could work. Probably not, since high school and college ball still rule over all in some of those markets (Fargo, Billings, etc), but there's an oh-so slim chance that it could happen.

There's an even greater chance, however, of the Jets returning to Winnipeg, so take that opinion for all its worth.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The CFL needs to stay out of the US. I don't mean anything xenophobic by that, in fact it's quite the opposite. Let's not perpetuate the idea that businesses can't survive without the States' help. How about leaving it as something that Canadians can take pride in as their own?

Great word! I think you are the only person ever to use that word in an everyday conversation.

jNTsTyQ.png

“Those are two great cities that would support the game and would really fill a niche if we can get agreements from the league, then one of the cities,” Gadsden said.

They are coming back into the league in 2010, at least they are planning on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Canadi...all_League_team

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Hopefully that goes better than the Renegades. Also didn't ownership mess up the Roughriders?

Hopefully that goes better than the Renegades. Also didn't ownership mess up the Roughriders?

Kinda messing up the Saskatchewan Rough Riders atm ...

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Archived