Expos' New Destination...connecticut?

Waffles

:therock: Brian, no animosity meant, but why your strident tone throughout this thread? If I've suggested any personal attack in any way I apologize, really... :cry: Your animus against the very notion of a Connecticut MLB team puzzles me. :wacko: We ARE entitled to our individual opinions, whatever they may be. You seem a bright fellow & your posts are generally interesting & pertinent. That having been said, the facts as I see it on this whole thread revolve around a key territorial issue, that being, and I'll write it slowly here for the benefit of all, are... MEDIA RIGHTS. As I understand it, the Sox have primary media rights over ALL of CT, which they share with both the Yankees & Mets on a percentile basis. This IS MLB law as I understand it. EVERY basebell execs' and most fans' response is MLB & the Sox, Yanks & Mets would NEVER let CT MLB happen. That very well may be true; still there is the outside chance, slim that it may be, as suggested by Grif here, that MLB in its desire to finally settle the Expos

relocation issue & make some $ in the process, might have little other choice IF,

and it's a big one, as big as all the other issues weighing against it, the other relocation candidates have too many $ holes in their proposals. As much of a longshot as it is, after all, the Yanks, Mets & BoSox ARE co-owners of the Expos along with the rest of MLB and as is it's costing them big $ every day the Expos

resolution languishes. So... let's have that post St. Patties' beer, Brian, my treat,

buddy, I think we can use it! GO Expos, wherever they end up! B)

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

You read far to much into my posts. I have no animus towards a Connecticut-based attempt to land a major professional sports franchise. I'm still pining over the loss of the late, lamented Hartford Whalers.

I'm simply stating my educated opinion - as you've astutely noted we all have a right to do - about this particular subject. The Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees and New York Mets will NEVER (I'm sorry if my emphatic stand on the issue seems strident) back the relocation of the Montreal Expos to Central Connecticut. You yourself allude to the fact that EVERY (your capitalization, not mine) baseball exec and most fans believe this to be true. Well, since the baseball execs are calling the shots, I'd have to say that it is not going to happen.

As for the Connecticut bid potentially becoming the only viable solution amongst the proposals on the table... well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that assessment. The protests of the Red Sox, Yankees and Mets far outweigh the "holes" in the proposals put forward by the other relocation candiadtes. That's how big an issue Bud Selig and the MLB brass would see any Boston/New York objections. Bigger than a Norfolk-based club having to play in an expanded minor-league stadium for a couple of years... bigger than a Washington-based team having to call RFK Stadium home for the short term... hell, bigger than putting the whole relocation on hold for another season.

As for using the "speculation" and "hypotheticals" to spur interest in designing some Connecticut-based logos and uniforms... THAT I can get behind! Bring them on! Although, without meaning to seem strident, I can't get too excited about the "Connecticut Colonials" identity. Seems kind of... meh.

Brian in Boston

:D Enjoying your cyber-suds, friend? Drink up! Objectively, I agree with pretty much everyting you've said here & throughout. I too was/am a HUGE Whale fan; I was @ their 1st WHA game @ HTFD Civic Center, they beat the San Diego Mariners. I saw them in Springfield when the roof collapsed that season. I delight in the Alevizos effort BECAUSE it is such a Quixotic attempt & applaud him for even trying. He's 84, which is wild, guess he's not taking the long term team acquisition approach, huh?

I also agree we could do better than "Colonials" and hope someone takes a whack @ a logo/uni scheme on the Logos board. I respect your opinion, Brian Dude, right now, how do YOU handicap the Expos relocation derby? Also, what would be YOUR preference, guesstimates aside?

I've stated I'm an Expos fan :flagcanada: who'd prefer they stay in Montreal, as unlikely as that is. My 1st preference would be they become the new DC Senators.

After that, I'd settle for their Las Vegas relocation, as surreal as Sin City Baseball seems, which is what attracts me, I suppose.

I read SO many opinions on the Expos relocation issue, usually based on the areas contending for them, your insights would be valued here. Another round of CC Cyber Suds, sir? B)

I've stated I'm an Expos fan :flagcanada: who'd prefer they stay in Montreal, as unlikely as that is. My 1st preference would be they become the new DC Senators.

After that, I'd settle for their Las Vegas relocation, as surreal as Sin City Baseball seems, which is what attracts me, I suppose.

That's bizzare. I'm an Expo fan, too (I'm THE representative for Georgia) and I have the same exact preference...

Keep them around till the next bargaining, then BAM! off with their heads.

This is my prediction of what will eventually happen, after the '06 season. The Twins situation hasn't changed, folks. Don't kid yourselves - there's still more than a slim chance that the Expos and Twins will vanish.

nav-logo.png

mrfab...

As of right now, my handicapping of what I think MLB sees the Expos franchise doing:

1) As much as the MLB brass would hate to admit it, remaining in Montreal (and playing a few "homestands" on the road) in 2005, as relocation candidates continue to try and get their bids in order.

2) Washington, DC/Northern Virginia

3) Norfolk, Virginia (On the rise...)

4) Monterrey, Mexico (The "globalization" of the game...)

5) Las Vegas, Nevada (But what of that "pesky" gambling issue?)

6) Portland, Oregon (Sinking fast...)

7) San Antonio, Texas (A "contender" in name only.)

8) San Juan, Puerto Rico (Best chance to host more games is under scenario # 1)

9) Connecticut (BoSox, Yanks and Mets render this one a "pipe dream".)

Guesstimates aside, my preferences (from amongst the current "candidates")would be:

1) Finding a stable, well-financed, committed local ownership group capable of securing the Expos' future in Montreal.

2) Norfolk, Virginia (Frankly, I'm impressed with how quickly and enthusiastically they've mobilized their efforts. I also find it exciting to pull for an untapped major-pro sports market.)

3) Portland, Oregon (Once my # 2, their efforts have never quite coalesced the way I thought that they would. Another relatively untapped major-pro sports marketplace. It's time that the Trailblazers had some company on the major-pro sports landscape.)

4) Washington, DC/Northern Virginia (While there is a part of me that believes MLB should be represented in the Nation's Capital, the efforts on the part of both groups seem far too smug, self-important and... lacking a sense of focus and/or urgency.)

5) Las Vegas, Nevada (An untapped major-pro sports market with a growing population that is probably very deserving of a franchise. However, what about the aforementioned "pesky" gambling problem? And will the locals come out in large enough numbers to support the team?)

6) Monterrey, Mexico... San Antonio, Texas... Connecticut... San Juan, Puerto Rico (IMHO, "phantom candidates" meant to strike some fear into the cities/regions that MLB sees as being legitimate. I honestly don't believe that any of them are actually on MLB's "radar", but if I was pulling for them, it would be in this order.)

Brian in Boston

This has been a most excellent debate . . . and a largely civil one to boot. Very nice.

What really surprises me about this whole Expos relocation issue is that Charlotte has stayed out. It would seem to me they'd be a good place to put a MLB team. Anyone know whether the Knights' stadium would be an adequate temporary home to a MLB team?

The part I don't get is that this guy wants to build a 34,000 seat stadium??? That's the size of Fenway park, and everyone claims it's too small which it is. He also wants to renovate the 7,000 seat Yale Stadium for 2 years.

So here's how its going to go if this goes through.

The "Colonials" will have no good players, because they won't be able to spend any money.

Or.

They will have some good high-paid players, but tickets will be ridicously priced at more than $80 bucks a seat and nobody will come.

Either way there screwed if they build this tiny stadium.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

all this debating is good but should we get a poll going for the best fit for the expos.

we could have everything suggested from charlotte to vancouver to more realistic choices as dc and virginia

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

And yet nothing from Montreal about what if anything they are going to do to take advantage of this stay of execution. Are they even trying to get their literal and figurative house in order?

No

THis trully sucks its like baseball enjoys a team twisiting in the wind forever. Im sick of it they can not allow this to go on any longer they have to find a permamnt solution ASAP. Its not fair for anybody for this to be dragged on another year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Right on, Brian & insightful CC'ers! :notworthy:

The McHale pronouncement is WAY discouraging; why can't MLB set actual criteria for the candidate communities?! Lay it ALL out, mandatory stadium, population size, media potential etc. minimum requirements, lowest/highest possible purchase

fee, timeframe to move from temp to permanent ballpark, ad nauseum. I've never taken a business course and neither has anyone in MLB apparently. Their actions suggest they REALLY want to kill the Expos & any other team they deem unfit. Makes NO sense to me, letting the 'Spos twist in the wind like this MUST be costing MLB $, the ONLY thing they seem to care about. I won't even broach the steroid issue here. This whole "process" could be very productive for MLB to identify potential relocation sites & develop them as communities grow into them, instead of being saddled with communities for many different reasons that can never really compete with the large city teams. Small market/"only team" franchises can succeed financially and put a competitive product on the field. MLB has a real chance here to put their house in order; the last labor deal suggested the possibility but most pundits say it really doesn't level the financial playing field.

And the steroid issue is an affront to fans AND players, a shameful MLB/Players Assoc. cover up in progress. MLB was lucky to come back as it did from the '94 aborted season debacle. I don't know if fans will let them be twice lucky... :cry:

Archived