MLB Civil Rights Game identity package question

spyboy1

Love the Reds unis.

Except the name below the number.

Bring back the pinstripes! (And pinstriped caps). Alternate?

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I think the trim around the vest is black too. If I remember correctly, the Reds wore the trim around one sleeve one year in memory of somebody that had died then added it to both sleeves the next year because they liked the look of the black trim.

It was for Powell Crosley, former owner of the Reds and who Crosley Field is named after.

IIRC, the trim was already on the jerseys and took one off after Crosley's death.

I think the trim around the vest is black too. If I remember correctly, the Reds wore the trim around one sleeve one year in memory of somebody that had died then added it to both sleeves the next year because they liked the look of the black trim.

It was for Powell Crosley, former owner of the Reds and who Crosley Field is named after.

IIRC, the trim was already on the jerseys and took one off after Crosley's death.

It was the uniforms that worn in 1961

nl_1961_cincinnati.gif

It was the uniforms that worn in 1961

nl_1961_cincinnati.gif

Hmmm, how about that.....

I love how the Reds players names are under the number, it looks pretty cool.

I thought it looked kind of silly to have the letters arch as if they were going above the number. If they were straight across, it might be okay, but even then, names belong over the numbers, not under them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

NOB below the number is my preference for basketball jerseys, and would probably have been a good idea for baseball vests back when they had skinny sleeves, and weren't just sleeveless versions of the regular jerseys. That being said, it does look silly to arch the name.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To answer spyboy's original question on this thread: Wasn't the theory that MLB changed the uniforms because wearing the Indians unis and logo in the inaugural "Civil Rights Game" could be viewed as a bit of problem? Perhaps they just did it again last year for "tradition's" sake until they came up with a better tradition.

They do such a good job on the uniforms, and then they forget to finish it off with stirrups and the proper batting helmets in the Sox case. If you're going to do it, then do it right or don't do it at all.

Not so fast my friend

DJ Carrasco says otherwise

(edit:screencapture)

crgsox.jpg

Thank you for posting that pic. I tivo'ed the game and posted my comment before Carrasco was inserted into the game. Also, referring to an earlier post, Hawk argued that high white socks were good for pitchers because the white could distract hitters from seeing the white ball from the pitcher's hand. They both said that the PJ look did the pitcher no favors. Pods wore his black socks high. Herrera for the Reds went with a half-way look and kind of rolled his pants. He may wear his pants that way all the time, as I've never seen hiim pitch before.

Also, I definitely prefer the wishbone 'C' for Cincy rather than the rounded 'C' they wore last night. I will always associate the wishbone 'C' with the Reds and the Chicago Bears.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Great uniforms for both sides here. For the Reds, though, I would have hoped they would have had narrower shoulders like were really worn in the initial sleeveless days. For the Sox, I am guessing that shade of blue is a bit saturated for what uniforms were in the '60's. Wouldn't it have been more of a grayish blue "flannely" color? FWIW, Pods always wears his socks high like that.

Archived