United Football League!

swe3t

www.ufl-football.com

What are everyones thoughts?

Season is going to start fall 2009

Potential markets include: Hartford, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orlando, New York, San Francisco, Salt Lake City and Monterrey.

Games will be played on Fridays during the regular football season. (Big mistake imo)

The Commisioner said that the chances that Michael Vick plays in the UFL is "98%"

Mark Cuban is going to own one of the teams.

Former Giants coach Jim Fassel will be coaching the Las Vegas team. I'm really excited for them to come out with the team name and unis, since I grew up in Vegas.

I checked the last couple pages to see if this has been posted, but I didn't see anything. Hard to believe no ones posted this yet!

bullssig.png

www.ufl-football.com

Potential markets include: Hartford, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orlando, New York, San Francisco, Salt Lake City and Monterrey.

Games will be played on Fridays during the regular football season. (Big mistake imo)

The Commisioner said that the chances that Michael Vick plays in the UFL is "98%"

Former Giants coach Jim Fassel will be coaching the Las Vegas team. I'm really excited for them to come out with the team name and unis, since I grew up in Vegas.

I checked the last couple pages to see if this has been posted, but I didn't see anything. Hard to believe no ones posted this yet!

Because its business plan ensures its doom. There is no market in the country for another fall football league. They may kick off, but I have trouble seeing them last.

The Vick idea is a sign of their desperation.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think it is a huge mistake to run at the same time as the nfl, they should give us something to watch during the nfl offseason. Money wise it would be easier to buy tickets on sundays half the year, and then tickets on fridays the other half, then to buy both for half a year. Doesn't really make sense.

bullssig.png

No one has talked about it because this league will fail...plain and simple.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I think it will be interesting though, I'm looking forward to some other form of pro football, seperate from the nfl.

I talked to a UFL insider and they said to expect an announcement on teams and investors within the next couple days..

And AJM, have you seen their business model? done any research at all? Just wondering if your negativity is warrented or not, I believe there is a market for another pro football league out there.

bullssig.png

I think it will be interesting though, I'm looking forward to some other form of pro football, seperate from the nfl.

I talked to a UFL insider and they said to expect an announcement on teams and investors within the next couple days..

And AJM, have you seen their business model? done any research at all? Just wondering if your negativity is warrented or not, I believe there is a market for another pro football league out there.

Clearly you didn't look hard enough before this year, since there used to be the Arena League. And if you look, I'm pretty sure there's still a reasonably local indoor football team to watch.

There may be another market for spring football. There most certainly is not one for another fall league, especially in the current economic climate. Half the markets are shared with college football teams, New York has two NFL teams, and with Monterrey....um....I hope your owners have enough money for ransoms/private military companies.

(Of course, the Wilpons are supposed to be the money guys for New York. Or at least they were before that whole Madoff thing blew up.) :rolleyes:

EDIT-I'll throw up a scenario. It's Friday night in Vegas. What are you going to do (assuming you don't have to work) Hit the strip/some other touristy part of Vegas or go see a minor league football game? I'm willing to assume that the vast, vast majority will go for the former rather than the latter.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

EDIT-I'll throw up a scenario. It's Friday night in Vegas. What are you going to do (assuming you don't have to work) Hit the strip/some other touristy part of Vegas or go see a minor league football game? I'm willing to assume that the vast, vast majority will go for the former rather than the latter.

Las Vegas locals rarely go to "The Strip", they would be the one's the Las Vegas UFL franchise would be going after.

I'll be shocked if the UFL plays a game.

I am singularly underwhelmed.

A six-game "Premiere" season will, in the words of UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue, allow the league to "set the foundation within the cities we feel would be a good fit, demonstrate the terrific talent of the coaches and players at our high level of competition, and integrate innovation into all aspects of the league so we are ready for expansion in 2010". He goes on to deem the effort a "soft launch".

In other words, the 2009 UFL season is an ill-advised exhibition schedule that league founders are desperately hoping will convince fans and - more importantly - investors to invest time and - more importantly - capital in the venture in time for 2010. Good luck. I'm willing to bet that the UFL never sees season three... if, in fact, it ever sees season two.

Las Vegas/Los Angeles, New York/Hartford, Orlando and San Francisco have been confirmed as the franchises for 2009. The primary venues for teams will be:

* Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada.

* Shuart Stadium in Hempstead, New York.

* Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Florida.

* AT&T Park in San Francisco, California.

Additionally, the Las Vegas/Los Angeles franchise will play at least one game at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California. Likewise, the New York/Hartford team will host a game at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Connecticut. It has been rumored that Birmingham, Memphis and Sacramento could also play host to single "barnstorm" games.

As for Salt Lake City and Monterrey, they're supposedly under consideration for 2010 at the earliest. I suppose Salt Lake City is a possibility, but given the level of violent crime that is roiling Mexico, I question whether Monterrey is a legitimate possibility anytime in the near future.

Games are set to be played on Thursdays and Fridays. In both cases, I'm in agreement that it is a mistake.

Huyghue is dreaming if he truly believes that the chances are that high. Furthermore, the commissioner had previously stated that the UFL would poll fans to determine whether or not they felt that it was a wise move to sign a player with Vick's PR baggage.

Cuban has not been listed as one of the league's investors in quite some time. In point of fact, all of the leagues teams are owned by a consortium led by William Hambrecht, Tim Armstrong and Paul Pelosi.

Former Giants coach Jim Fassel will be coaching the Las Vegas team.

This does appear to be the case.

The league's slogan is "Where future stars come to play!". NO, that would be college football in this country. I doubt there will be many high schoolers making the jump directly to the UFL just so they can play pro football. This is destined to become another NFL Europe, AFL league that will flounder and die.

I've held my tongue on this up until now, thinking that maybe these guys could put a plan in place that would lead me to think the UFL could buck the trend and survive. Now this.

No more tongue-holding. The UFL lasts a year. One. And it'll be an unmitigaged disaster.

- The original plan was to have 8 teams, then it was down to six, and now four, which tells me they're already running out of money.

- The original plan called for a 14-game season, now they're down to six, which tells me they're trying to keep losses to a minimum in year one.

- They have no TV deal in place, despite having over two years to secure one, which tells me there's insufficient interest in the venture.

- They have no realistic shot at getting local media deals, as each franchise appears to be representing two cities. Who the hell wants to broadcast a Las Vegas home game in Los Angeles?

- They appear to be grossly underfinanced. $30 million? Come on. A league like this needs $300 million... and that's just to get it started.

I was hopeful about the UFL, especially after seeing rumors of Cuban's involvement coupled with their web presence, their intent to develop their own facilities, etc., but now that I see what they've actually put together for 2009, I see it for what it'll ultimately be - an originally good idea twisted beyond recognition that results in a trainwreck.

nav-logo.png

Archived