This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

TFoA

5-Star HS football recruit Bryce Brown mulling to skip college and go to the CFL.

Here's the best part of all this:

Brian Butler, the controversial manager of the top-ranked football recruit, Bryce Brown, is open to the idea. Butler told The Times that if approached by a Canadian Football League team, he?d consider sending Brown there.

Butler said he planned to have someone explore the possibility of Brown playing in the C.F.L. next season. ?If they were talking about any amount of real money, I?d guarantee it,? Butler said of Brown potentially playing in the C.F.L. He mentioned a C.F.L. team paying Brown $5 million a year for three years.

He added: ?We?re not playing around. I can promise you that. I?m not scared at all to do anything, and Bryce isn?t either. Hey, he?ll hurt your feelings. He?s not worried about your feelings. He?s worried about what?s right and what?s wrong.?

Brown would be eligible to play in the C.F.L., because there?s no minimum age limit. In the N.F.L., a player has to be three years removed from his high school graduation class. But Brown?s price tag could be a hitch in Butler?s plans: C.F.L. teams have $4.2 million salary cap ? per team.

Brian Butler is an idiot, and Bryce Brown & his family are dumb for not getting rid of that bum. I mean, damn, the whole thing is stupid.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this manager paid for his services? Because there may have eligibility issues then, right?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The manager's brashness aside, this is actually a good thing. Just like I said in the Signing Day thread, why waste a college's resources if you're only using them in an attempt to make the NFL? Misguided as he may be with the monetary figures, he at least opens the discussion that there are other places besides college to prepare for the NFL. I know he's more motivated by the immediate money than wasting a school's time, but it's a start.

How many high school "blue chippers" don't pan out and end up in the real world after their four years in college are up?

This kid could have his doubts about how good he's going to be a few years down the road, and figures he might as well cash in now instead of risk it all for a future in the NFL and wind up with nothing. I mean, it's not like college players will ever see a dime from these schools...

6uXNWAo.png

You know, a few years ago I would have said "man, that guy's an idiot."

College simply isn't for everyone. How many high schoolers go straight to work after graduating? In a sense, this is no different. If the guy can even make $100,000 per year in the CFL - how many 18 year-olds are making that? It's obvious he doesn't want to go to college, so if he's just going to declare for the draft after his junior year, why even bother? The life of a college athlete isn't a breeze, I've witnessed that over my 4 years at Winthrop. It doesn't appear to be easy, getting up at 7 everyday to attend 8 am breakfast, have your classes scheduled for you in order to attend afternoon practice, go to more classes, and then practice again - oh, and that whole "homework" and "social life" thing, too.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Everybody has good points, but jumping from high school to the pros in sports has never really meant success, especially if it isn't going to the major league. Brandon Jennings' experience, if anything, should've turned people off from doing it, and there's a pretty good amount of people who believe that his plan backfired.

Plus, for all the people that skipped college for the pros in the NBA, the only ones that worked were the guys who OBVIOUSLY had enough talent to be a force in the NBA. Everyone else is either struggling on the bench, hopping from team-to-team, or out of the league completely. I mean, if things like this only work for prodigies in the NBA, then how do you expect it to work for a high school kid going to a pro league such as the CFL, where even there is BIGGER talent chasm than there is from high school to NBA. Plus, his agent obviously isn't too smart if he thinks that there's going to be a CFL team that's going to offer $5 mil for his client's services. This is just dumb, it has failure written all over it, when he could easily just pick basically whatever school he wants, go there, and at least have an education to fall back on if he doesn't make it to the NFL. Just dumb to me, IMO.

(And I really don't wanna hear about "Oh, they don't go to school to get educated. They're just there to play ball." There are plenty of players on the Division 1 level that actually take advantage of their education. Myron Rolle is an example. An extreme one, but an example nonetheless.)

As the article mentions, there is no way a CFL team would pay the kid $5M/yr. There is no way they could. Somehow his agent is trying to use the CFL as a bargaining chip.

He will end up in the UFL, just you wait and see :D

I saw, I came, I left.

As the article mentions, there is no way a CFL team would pay the kid $5M/yr. There is no way they could. Somehow his agent is trying to use the CFL as a bargaining chip.

I would think that statement alone would destroy this guy's credibility and bargaining position. He obviously knows not of which he speaks. Butler is a moron. Though this might bring to light that there should be another way other than college to go to the NFL.

Hopefully the Bombers pick him up!

Don't need him haha Reid and Smith will get it done

Anyways as for Brown I thought this kid was smarter he could be contending for the Heisman in his Junior year or so or at least a dominant player at the College game and bring back the U to respectability and get a job in the NFL.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I don't make $100,000 per year. I'd like to make that much money without having had to mess around with college and grad school first.

What's the problem here?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't make $100,000 per year. I'd like to make that much money without having had to mess around with college and grad school first.

What's the problem here?

The fact that his agent thinks that the kid can make 5million dollars a year in the CFL?

Well, yes, that is pretty stupid. But the general idea of going to the CFL instead of D-1 football isn't.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

What's the problem here?

The fact that his agent thinks that the kid can make 5million dollars a year in the CFL?

Well, yes, that is pretty stupid. But the general idea of going to the CFL instead of D-1 football isn't.

True. It's his life, if a CFL team is willing to offer him a contract, why not?

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived