This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

TFoA

I don't make $100,000 per year. I'd like to make that much money without having had to mess around with college and grad school first.

What's the problem here?

The fact that his agent thinks that the kid can make 5million dollars a year in the CFL?

Well, yes, that is pretty stupid. But the general idea of going to the CFL instead of D-1 football isn't.

My point, in 50 words or less.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than the shear mass of the athlete... How is football different than baseball? More players in the majors never stepped foot on a college field.

College is about getting a job. If you can get a job doing what you want and are best at out of high school, why risk your career and time by playing in college? Especially when the average career for a NFL player is 3.5 years! His first contract will give him more than enough to go back to college after his playing days.

Well, if anyone is dumb enough to give him a contract, it'll be Hamilton.

I do think, though, that the NFL has it right with the "3 years out of high school" thing. I highly doubt that an 18-year old kid has the build or the mental strength to go up against some of the monsters they'll be exposed to in The League.

Many athletes who come to the CFL and stick compare the CFL to Div-II ball, where it's fun to play, but not as serious and not so much the main focus of your life, and they're right. Many, if not most, CFL players have off-season (or even in-season) jobs, whether they be lawyers, restaurateurs, photocopier salesmen, landlords, students, or real estate agents. They practice in the morning, and in the afternoon and evening, they're free to do whatever they want. Not bad for $45-200k Canadian per year.

But the thing to remember, and I'm sure a lot of you will pooh-pooh this, but it's not as easy to make it in the CFL as people would like to think. There are countless stories of how former NFL players (stars, even) come north, only to find that the pace of the game is faster, the field is that much bigger, the ball is that much bigger, there's an extra guy in the secondary, and they simply can't adapt. Meanwhile, there are guys who sit on a taxi squad in the NFL for 3 years, until their salaries are no longer sustainable by the team for whatever reason, and come north, and shine. There are also numerous tales of CFL stars going south and doing quite well for themselves as situational players, or special teams guys.

What I'm really saying is, if this kid wants to play in the NFL, go to D-I and play some ball. There's no guarantee of success either way, but he won't be an 18-year old with a chip on his shoulder waiting to get creamed by some 320-pound Alberta farmboy for being a prima donna. In D-I, he'll be just another body, and that's what he needs to be able to overcome if he wants any success in the NFL.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Other than the shear mass of the athlete... How is football different than baseball? More players in the majors never stepped foot on a college field.

College is about getting a job. If you can get a job doing what you want and are best at out of high school, why risk your career and time by playing in college? Especially when the average career for a NFL player is 3.5 years! His first contract will give him more than enough to go back to college after his playing days.

No, but in baseball, players typically start in Rookie ball or Class A, compete against others who are around the same stage of development, and, ideally, move up through the system at their own pace until they're ready to contribute at the highest level. And in the minors, they make money... but not very much. Unless they prove that they're ready, they don't go straight to competing with players who are more physically developed (size or talent wise) than they are. And when they are rushed, their chances of failure (both long and short term) tend to be much greater -- and in a physical game like football, I'd imagine the chances of this are far, far greater. This kid's described as being the "perfect RB", in terms of his size, style, and skill set, I'd much rather see him not make the NFL because he didn't earn that spot through his college play than because of the beating his 18 year old body took playing against guys who were a great deal bigger than anybody he's ever played against. But it's not about what I'd rather have happen, I suppose.

IUe6Hvh.png

Good for him. Why should he have to be exploited by the NCAA? Maybe he doesn't need indentured service in the college ranks before the NFL. I wish him well.

Free College Education = Indentured service.

Yea.. makes sense :rolleyes:

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

InTheEnd made my point about the football to baseball comparison. And also, who WOULDN'T want to play College Football? Seriously, other than money, I believe College FB is far superior to the NFL. You can't get the experience in the pros. And as also previously mentioned, 90% or so of high schoolers are not ready for the pros in any sport. Baseball has the Minor Leagues as an option other than college. And they can take as long if not longer, than college to develop their skills there if they need to. Not many NBA players who make the jump last. You have the few who do, Kobe, KG, LeBron, T-Mac and Jermaine O'Neal, who actually took a few years to really come into his own. But most aren't even in the league anymore. It's a gamble. And those who do make the jump, aren't always mature enough to handle the financial and mental aspects. They collect that huge pay upfront, spend it all because they think they're set for life, and then are out of the league in a season or two, and then what? Unless they have a support system of responsible people advising them, they're screwed.

No, but in baseball, players typically start in Rookie ball or Class A, compete against others who are around the same stage of development, and, ideally, move up through the system at their own pace until they're ready to contribute at the highest level. And in the minors, they make money... but not very much. Unless they prove that they're ready, they don't go straight to competing with players who are more physically developed (size or talent wise) than they are. And when they are rushed, their chances of failure (both long and short term) tend to be much greater -- and in a physical game like football, I'd imagine the chances of this are far, far greater. This kid's described as being the "perfect RB", in terms of his size, style, and skill set, I'd much rather see him not make the NFL because he didn't earn that spot through his college play than because of the beating his 18 year old body took playing against guys who were a great deal bigger than anybody he's ever played against. But it's not about what I'd rather have happen, I suppose.

Baseball to football was a bad analogy. But my point was that nobody ever gets on kids for not going to college when they get drafted out of HS in baseball. And the likelihood of having a career ending injury in baseball is tiny compared to the possibility of losing literally millions of dollars from one hit in a college football practice.

There is no difference between HS baseball players not going to college and football players not going to college other than the fact the NFL makes you go for safety concerns and just as much so they don't have to have a minor league.

There is no difference between HS baseball players not going to college and football players not going to college other than the fact the NFL makes you go for safety concerns and just as much so they don't have to have a minor league.

That's what makes it such a huge difference.

Good for him. Why should he have to be exploited by the NCAA? Maybe he doesn't need indentured service in the college ranks before the NFL. I wish him well.

It's not really that simple, though. I don't think you really get to fully take advantage of a "free college education" when, as someone said here or elsewhere, your classes are scheduled around your practices. You're there to produce revenue for the school more than anything else, especially getting an education. Maybe Lee's right that this guy might be biting off more than he can chew with the CFL. He'd know better than I would. But it'll be interesting to see if players have other legitimate avenues to the NFL than the big lie that is the NCAA. I, for one, hope they do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I hear USC is paying well lately. ;)

If the kid and his agent are narcissistic enough to think he can jump to the pros right after high school he should go for it. If he does great, then that's awesome, he can come to the NFL and make the millions he obviously NEEDS right now. However, in the more likely case, he can come back and play arena ball at some level in the states.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I hear USC is paying well lately. ;)

If the kid and his agent are narcissistic enough to think he can jump to the pros right after high school he should go for it. If he does great, then that's awesome, he can come to the NFL and make the millions he obviously NEEDS right now. However, in the more likely case, he can come back and play arena ball at some level in the states.

For a measly $200 a game, plus whatever's under the table. Smart.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's not really that simple, though. I don't think you really get to fully take advantage of a "free college education" when, as someone said here or elsewhere, your classes are scheduled around your practices. You're there to produce revenue for the school more than anything else, especially getting an education.

True enough, but an education isn't just handed to any student. You have to work for it, sometimes under difficult circumstances or at long odds. In exchange for their athletic performance, these kids are given the opportunity to persue a good education. That trade can work well in their favor as well as the school's.

Are they being used for their gifts? Sure. But they have equal ability to use as to be used.

• 3 weeks later...

A minor update.

The NCAA is now investigating Mr. Butler.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

sooner of later the NCAA and professional league are going to sign loophole deals that will prevent kids out of high school to join a professional league particulary an age limit

Can you please edit your post. I am so confused about what you were trying to say. Are you saying you think they will sign deals to prevent kids from going straight to the pros out of high school? Because the NFL (3 years removed from last High School game) and the NBA (at least 19 and one year removed from graduation) already have these agreements.

Kids, go to college, get an education, THEN go pro so you have a fallback when your career ends up in the crapper! (as I desperately hope this kids does). Are we sure this isn't another Kevin Hart fiasco?

Or go pro, make a few million dollars, play it safe and don't worry about things the rest of your life.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Kids, go to college, get an education, THEN go pro so you have a fallback when your career ends up in the crapper! (as I desperately hope this kids does). Are we sure this isn't another Kevin Hart fiasco?

Or go pro, make a few million dollars, play it safe and don't worry about things the rest of your life.

Or use those millions to go to college, should he feel so inclined.

1zqy8ok.gif

You "desperately hope" that he fails as a professional because he chose to shirk the corruption and exploitation of NCAA athletics? The hell's your problem? What are you, a townie? Let him try. If it works, good for him. If it doesn't, bad for him, I guess.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived