This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

TFoA

Kids, go to college, get an education, THEN go pro so you have a fallback when your career ends up in the crapper! (as I desperately hope this kids does). Are we sure this isn't another Kevin Hart fiasco?

You "desperately hope" that he fails as a professional because he chose to shirk the corruption and exploitation of NCAA athletics? The hell's your problem? What are you, a townie? Let him try. If it works, good for him. If it doesn't, bad for him, I guess.

i think he desparately hopes that he has a fall back. not that he fails, but its almost certain that he will.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I can't tell if he said "as I hope this kid's does" and forgot to hit the ', with the possessive referring back to his career, or if he said "as I hope this kid does" and accidentally struck the s key. At any rate, with the money he stands to make from the CFL, he'll have a better backup plan than if he went to school, got injured, and was no longer of use to the institution. Of course, I was led to believe he meant to say the former, since the prevailing sentiment in this thread is "don't step to the status quo."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Simple solution. The NCAA rules him ineligible, and the CFL and NFL teams refuse to sign him. Problem solved.

Then again, I'm not so sure he'd be a good fit for the ideal college football team. Can he have a 4.0 average in a rigorous area of study? Hell, I'd want 60 or 70 like Myron Rolle.

LvZYtbZ.png

For the majority of these guys who want to go pro right away, it rarely turns out well. They end up bombing durin their first couple years, and, because they're so young and naive, they surround themselves with the wrong people and all their money is gone within 1 or 2 years after they get it.

Maurice Clarrett (tried to enter the NFL Draft after his freshman year) is a prime example.

Eddie Griffin left Seton Hall for the NBA after his Freshman year. Hardly had much of a career for the next 5 years or so, and was in and out of rehab for alcoholism. Released by the T-Wolves in 2007 for his continuing off court problems and ended up in an accident with a train. His body was so badly burned, they couldn't ID him without dental records.

Now these are just a couple examples, and more of the severe ones, but if you look at the NBA, for example, there are not that many college skippers who have had great careers. KG and Kobe are the 2 most successful. T-Mac's had a pretty good career. Jermaine O'Neal has, but it was a few years in the league before he started producing.

It is definately a higher gamble to go pro without any form of a college education or a plan to get it while you're playing pro. And, sadly, it seems most of these guys only see the dollar signs in front of them and think they'll be set after that first contract. It is always so. They start living above their means, and the next thing you know, they're out of the league and out of money. Is it really worth it?

That LeBron guys is pretty good. He must've gone to a good university program. Which was it? Duke? UNC? UConn?
But what is he going to do AFTER he's done playing basketball?

Bathe in money.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

That LeBron guys is pretty good. He must've gone to a good university program. Which was it? Duke? UNC? UConn?
But what is he going to do AFTER he's done playing basketball?

What ever the hell he wants...He's made more money so far than all of the people on this message board combined.

1zqy8ok.gif

It's not just about the degree, it's about the level of emotional maturity that most people achieve between their 18th and 21st birthdays. Now, some people have that maturity much earlier, some never attain it. But I think the NBA is right to not want itself populated with wealthy, uncontrollable 18-year-olds.

In the case of football, it's also about gaining the physical maturity necessary to compete. An 18-year-old on the gridiron is manslaughter waiting to happen.

That Robert Swift kid's pretty good too. Same with Darius Miles, Leon Smith, Kwame Brown, Nbudi Ebi, CJ Miles, Ricky Sanchez, Jonathan Bender, Sebastian Telfair. I've got more Leon Smith's than you've got Lebron James'.

IUe6Hvh.png

That LeBron guy is the exception that proves the rule. Most of the high schoolers who went out shouldn't have in retrospect.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That LeBron guy is the exception that proves the rule. Most of the high schoolers who went out shouldn't have in retrospect.

Who's to say. They were able to sign a pro contract, that's a lot of money. A lot more money than I can ever dream to make in my first full time job. I'll be lucky to make 30k in my first job, after 4 years of school. These guys will make a minimum of 1 million, after no years of school.

Even with out school I would know that; 1 million > 30k

1zqy8ok.gif

Who's to say. They were able to sign a pro contract, that's a lot of money. A lot more money than I can ever dream to make in my first full time job. I'll be lucky to make 30k in my first job, after 4 years of school. These guys will make a minimum of 1 million, after no years of school.

Even with out school I would know that; 1 million > 30k

Yes...but do they have the common sense to actually use that money wisely. It's likely most don't. It's not that hard to blow a million bucks when you are trying to maintain the lifestyle expected of a professional North American athlete.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

No, they're probably not chock-full of common sense, but it's not because they skipped college. College isn't some panacea or life-changer or anything like that. I know plenty of people who came out of college as lazy, ignorant, irresponsible, and stupid as they came in. Besides just me, I mean! But yeah, I'm just not convinced that it's completely necessary that this guy spends years of his life doing something he doesn't want to do as a rite of passage if he doesn't have to. Part of it is that I don't watch college sports and I'm not threatened by the idea of people bypassing it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived