Roberto Alomar

PittsburghSucks

Were it up to me, I might be inclined to keep him out of Cooperstown if this is true about knowingly having unprotected sex while HIV-positive. That's essentially attempted manslaughter.

Actually it's attempted murder.

She has little hope, especially if she consented to sex after they got the test results showing he had AIDS. After that anything she did was with informed consent.

No, you cannot consent to attempted murder. If you're referring to the civil suit we'll see what the jury thinks.

I just find it hard to believe he could put up the kind of career he did in quality of play and quantity of time - to say nothing of living 20+ years - with undiagnosed, untreated HIV.

Something - or everything - about this story doesn't quite add up.

Agreed. How can someone with AIDS play All-Star quality baseball for over a decade?

I might be a little biased though due to his glory days in Toronto... so maybe I'm not seeing this clear.

And by the way, Rufus Wainwright is :censored: ing awesome.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Some how I just find this hard to believe, I mean Alomar sucked his way out of the Hall of Fame while he was a Met in my book, but I just cant believe he had AIDS.

I respectfully disagree. Yes, Alomar was terrible as a Met, but that was for less than two seasons before they traded him. Before that, he was one of the best--if not the best--2B in baseball. He seemed to hit .300 every year. He had decent power especially for a second baseman. He stole a lot of bases. He practically owned the AL 2B Gold Glove in the 90s (I know those aren't always given to the actual best defensive player, but still impressive). I don't think a bad 3 seasons to end his career should be enough to keep him out. He might of spit his way out, and now if this is true he might have lied and sexed his way out, but I don't think he played himself out of the Hall.

In any case, here's hoping he's healthy and lives a long life.

Lots of things about this story don't make sense...so I'm not going to rush to judge or opine (other than the judging and opining I've just done). Besides, if Alomar has full-blown AIDS and wasn't getting treatment, I think we'll find out soon enough one way or another. If left untreated, I've seen the disease take down a seemingly healthy man (he obviously wasn't) to nothing in 6-8 months. It's such a horribly frightening site and Robby wouldn't be able to do anything to hide it after a while.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I would bet this will be quietly settled out of court. This is her way of "announcing" that he is at least bi, and get a few extra $$$ from him. He will "defend", but then reach a settlement long before it ever gets to a trial.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

She has little hope, especially if she consented to sex after they got the test results showing he had AIDS. After that anything she did was with informed consent. If she is not infected then she has to hope she is on the life insurance policy. I have read three stories and the list when they started dating, but not when they broke up...just when he reportedly tested HIV-positive.

Now I also wonder if Mary Pierce will get tested ASAP.

Acutally the way the health privacy laws (HIPAA) are written they would not get the results, he would - and it would be up to him to disclose them to anyone else. If he didn't tell her immediately upon receiving the test result there wouldn't be an informed consent.

This is true even for married couples - unless a spouse has granted a written authorization for the doctor to disclose results it is up to one spouse to reveal medical information to the other.

Archived