Think "X-color outs" are boring?

rams80

I'm not ragging on anybody or bragging about what we do at U of I, because it just kind of happened, but I love how here at Illinois it's just a sea of orange period. No special promotion required.

Actually, back around '05, as the fanbase was shifting from being orange and blue to being orange, there were 2 or 3 years where we had "Paint the Hall Orange" games, but by the second or third year, it was already an unnecessary outdated promotion, because filling the place with orange had just become the norm.

Same thing kind of happened at A&M. They would have a white out for big games a few years back and now every game all the students just wear white. There was a maroon and white out back for the 2005 NIT where it looked similar to what Indiana is doing

That, plus A&M has the best "x-out" game of all-time right after 9/11. I was actually at that game, too.

Don't recall it. What'd they do?

They played at home vs. Oklahoma State, if I recall correctly, and had each level of the stadium collor coordianted - lower level red, 2nd level white, upper deck blue. Pictures looked good from what I recall.

KyleField.jpg

(courtesy of wikipedia.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't really say much about it, but you may be interested in checking out the crowd at the Tennessee-Duke women's Breast Cancer awareness game Monday at 7:30 on ESPN2.

For everyone that didn't see it on tv, it was pretty interesting. I was there, and wore my shirt, but unfortunately when you have a crowd that's 75% senior citizens, it's impossible to get everyone to participate. People either traded a white one for a pink one (or vice versa), couldn't fit in an XL, or just refused to participate. This created a messy result. The attempt was to have alternating pink and white ribbons on the main sides, with solid alternating pink and white everywhere else in the 100 and 200(bottom of the upper deck) levels.

I'll try to find some good pictures and post them.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

c.) beacuse it really annoys me when a massive group of people are all doing the same thing.

So what do you do when your team scores? Hiss and throw hot dogs?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I wish teams and universities' attempts to color coordinate the fans' wardrobes would cease and desist. And I wish there were enough fans out there who would symbolically flip the bird on such occasions and show some individuality by wearing any other shirt color than what the teams and universities desire.

Yeah really. I wear blue on St. Patrick's Day.

Good job. I hate these kind of things a.) because they show no individuality. b.) beacuse it never lives up to the hype and c.) beacuse it really annoys me when a massive group of people are all doing the same thing.

Like I said, loosen up a bit man. You cant go through life follwing everyone else, no. But you cant try to be different from everyone else all the time, either. Sometimes buying into what everyone else is doing is fun and/or a good thing, and not selling your soul to conformity.

oBIgzrL.png

I wish teams and universities' attempts to color coordinate the fans' wardrobes would cease and desist. And I wish there were enough fans out there who would symbolically flip the bird on such occasions and show some individuality by wearing any other shirt color than what the teams and universities desire.

Yeah really. I wear blue on St. Patrick's Day.

Good job. I hate these kind of things a.) because they show no individuality. b.) beacuse it never lives up to the hype and c.) beacuse it really annoys me when a massive group of people are all doing the same thing.

I agree, and I wish the players would stop all dressing alike, too. I mean, every time I go to a Lakers game, it pisses me off that Kobe, Gasol, Fisher and the rest are ALL WEARING THE SAME THING. C'mon, Kobe, show some individuality! Wear red, or blue, or aquamarine, of BURNT SIENNA for cryin' out loud.

Look, part of what makes team sports so great is the sense of community and collective purpose that comes from cheering for the same team. It unifies people in cities and on campuses that otherwise may have nothing else in common. I don't go to Laker games to express my individuality, I go to be in a group of strangers who, for a couple of hours, all are rooting for the same thing. If we can express that by all dressing in the same color, then even better! Whatever sport, whatever level of competition (high school, college, professional), having many become one is pretty damn cool. If it wasn't, we wouldn't need team sports--just a bunch of pickup games in big arenas.

Archived