It's Mardi Gras Time

B-Rich

It's Mardi Gras season here in the Big Easy, and the parades have begun in earnest. In honor of that time, I revisit (a little more in-depth) something I first

showed back in 2005 in this thread.

In 2005, the Super Bowl night was the Sunday night before Mardi Gras day. That night features one of the biggest parades with some of the biggest and best floats, the Krewe of Bacchus. The Krewe chose as their theme, "Bacchus' Super Sunday". Each float represented an NFL location (sometimes, a combination of two or three) and their respective mascot(s). All 32 teams were represented. The teams' color schemes were also adapted into the float design and riders' costumes. They were VERY careful not to tread into using actual NFL logos or engage in trademark infringement.

Following is a picture of each float, some with explanations. These were all taken well before the parade itself, in the afternoon while they were lining up/ getting ready:

Arizona.jpg

Atlanta.jpg

Baltimore-Washington.jpg

Arizona, Atlanta, and Baltimore- Washington (Redskins are in back). Note the the nod to Pat Tillman on the Arizona float.

Bay%20Area.jpg

Buffalo.jpg

Carolina.jpg

California, Buffalo, Carolina. You can barely see the electrical "charger" theme at the rear of the California float. Interesting how they altered an obviously pre-used Darth Vader front piece, with added spiked shoulder pads and such, to look like some crazy Raider fan.

(continued)

It is what it is.

Chicago.jpg

Denver.jpg

Florida.jpg

Chicago, Denver, Tampa Bay/Jacksonville. Note the reference to Soldier Field on the Chicago float. If you look at the football player's head note that there is no logo on the helmet; just number 54 (Urlacher fan?), though the color scheme was correct.

Green%20Bay-Detroit.jpg

Indianapolis.jpg

Miami.jpg

Green Bay/Detroit, Indianapolis, Miami. Love the cheese head. Peyton's likeness is on the side of the Colts float, along with an "Indy or Bust" reference near the top rear.

(continued)

It is what it is.

Minnesota.jpg

Missouri.jpg

New%20England.jpg

Minnesota, Missouri, New England. Pretty good interpretation with that Viking ship.... and they recognized the Pats as 2004 World Champs in the New England float.

New%20Orleans.jpg

New%20York.jpg

Ohio.jpg

[Ohio%20at%20Night.jpg

New Orleans, New York, Ohio. Includes a night shot for the Ohio float-- they used the "Dawg Pound" motif for the Browns, obviously....

(continued)

It is what it is.

Pennsylvania.jpg

Seattle.jpg

Tennessee.jpg

Texas.jpg

Pennsylvania, Seattle, Tennessee, Texas. I like the Seattle one the best, with the Space Needle and Seahawk... the Texas one has both the cowboy and Texan's bull.... look closely on the side of the Tennessee float and you can see a nod to their Oilers past (derrick).

Comments? Questions?

oh, and a Happy Mardi Gras to all! :D

It is what it is.

Thanks for making me even more excited for Bacchus!

For all of you not from New Orleans....Bacchus is the :censored:. Last year, they had Hogan riding with them and my buddy and I were making complete asses out of ourselves.

Detroit's float should be on fire or a sinking ship :P

Or better yet, the float that the police drive at midnight to let everybody know Mardi Gras is over and Lent has begun!

(Hey, I'm a Catholic, so I have a right to make these types of jokes)

bYhYmxh.png

The Colts float should have been a Mayflower moving truck.

mayflowervans.jpg

Again, the infamous moving trucks WERE shown on the float if you look near the top rear, marked with "Indy or Bust"

It is what it is.

Archived