49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

Even if the 49ers' stripes required as much room as the Giants' stripes (which they don't), I think the Giants' solution, (moving the stripes up), which admittedly is not perfect, is still FAR preferable to what the 49ers did.

Agreed. I'd rather have a stripe shortened at the end than cut apart in the middle.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i still don't understand why they can't just use 3 real stripes, instead of some funky failed optical illusion.

Because there simply isn't enough room on all the players' sleeves for five stripes (three white, two red of the same thickness). We see this on the Bears, we see it on the Browns, we see it on the Steelers - they get cut off when players cut their cap sleeves.

The 49ers are simply bowing to reality, trying to standardize the way that all players' sleeves will look on the field. I think the replica sleeves are goofy, but am cautiously optimistic about what the authentics will look like over pads.

Actually, there's plenty of room to put the stripes on the sleeves if you simply start them just below the shoulder.

But that's clearly too easy.

On the old jersey cuts, maybe. But not on the new ones, which the Giants have been wearing:

520x.jpg

Look at the shoulder seams - if you put a stripe "just below the shoulder" then it'll be just a few inches long and barely wrap. It'd be a short line, not a stripe.

brandon-jacobs-415x275.jpg

Heck, look at this shot - the Northwestern stripes run so far into the shoulder seam that the top stripe appears to be missing altogether!

jacobs1.jpg

jacobs.jpg

There just isn't enough real estate to have full sleeve stripes on the new high-tech skin-tight jerseys. So it comes down to which of the stripes you want to have truncated. The Giants have decided that they'd rather cut off the top stripe. The 49ers have chosen to truncate the lower ones.

Over pads, I think the Niners' solution is the better one, giving more of an illusion of unbroken stripes. But again, I'm reserving judgment until we see them on the field in game conditions.

as the 08 season wore on the giants introduced the 'form-fitting' road jerseys that were missing their 'ny' wordmark. only a handful of players wore them (jacobs, toomer, pierce) it appeared that the NW stripes looked 'better' in that the upper stripe was not truncated... its actually visible in the pic gothamite posted of jacobs versus the redskins. when it comes to the giants road reds the only legit sleeve striping appears on manning and feagles jerseys as they still have actual sleeves.

I am also extremely frustrated by the disappearing sleeve situation in the league. the giants road jersey is my favorite due to its red-white contrast with the blue helmet AND sleeve stripes.. although they appear crammed on the jersey i believe they should remain... keep in mind that in 1964 the giants dropped the NW striping but kep the red numbers. it looked 'wrong'... looked very practice-jersey-like (the famous YA Tittle-bleeding head/sack picture features this jersey). in '65 the giants ditched the red numerals and went to blue with red and blue sleeve and sock stripes...

my point is.... I can accept the stripes as they look today... better than none IMO.

There's still no good reason for the replica jerseys to have the same stripe treatment as the on-field ones. Hell - there's no reason for the "retail" "authentics" to have that stripe treatment either. It should be reserved for the ones that are made for the field.

That's the main problem for me. On the field we probably won't even notice the stripes, but on the replica jerseys they look horrible. I don't understand why the did not have the stripes go all the way around on the replicas.

p5898998dt.jpg

if i were a niners fan, i wouldn't be caught dead in a replica jersey. those honestly look god awful.

like a cardinals throwback jersey with a factory defect.

I also wonder separately, why doesn't the NFL just start selling replicas with shorter sleeves? The NBA doesn't pretend it's jerseys have sleeves and sell them as T-Shirts. Isn't it time for the NFL to recognize that it's jersey is no longer just a t-shirt and start selling it's replicas a little more life-like?

I can think of two reasons - First, because as silly as they look over pads, they look even worse over a t-shirt.

Second, because not all players cut their sleeves off. In particular, many quarterbacks (who are the most high-profile players on most teams) wear theirs standard-length, without the elastic cuffs:

aaron_rogers_07.jpg

eli-peyton-manning.jpg

JetsFavre.jpg

medium_chad.jpg

nybatt points out something interesting in that it actually appears to be the new cut in which the stripes show up better.

But regardless, here's a quick mockup of what the Niners may look like. Don't see how this is better than moving the stripes up a bit.

niners.jpg

As for the sleeves, Goth, you're right that some still sleeves. But one, outside of maybe Peyton, all of those sleeves are still no longer than halfway down the bicep. Two, you brought up the new cut/material, will that allow QBs the same sleeves they've been wearing?

This also brings up the issue of how bad a Niners QB or Kicker might look if they choose to wear normal sleeves.

I still say the Niners blew it.

Hell, the only reason why QB's wear the sleeves down is because they can't really throw it correctly with way that everybody else on the team wears it. I think that Vick was one of the rare QB's that did wear his sleeves rolled up, and that was basically to give the defense something less to grab while he was on the run.

Basically, I'm saying that the only reason that QB's are following the uniform code is because it benefits their performance.

That's a good point, STL - players may no longer have the option of wearing the standard sleeves. We'll see.

But regardless, here's a quick mockup of what the Niners may look like. Don't see how this is better than moving the stripes up a bit.

niners.jpg

Given the choice between that and starting the stripes where the top stripe starts in the second player, resulting in the top stripe being about five inches long, I still say that the 49ers made the right choice. We'll have to agree to disagree.

i still don't understand why they can't just use 3 real stripes, instead of some funky failed optical illusion.

Because there simply isn't enough room on all the players' sleeves for five stripes (three white, two red of the same thickness). We see this on the Bears, we see it on the Browns, we see it on the Steelers - they get cut off when players cut their cap sleeves.

The 49ers are simply bowing to reality, trying to standardize the way that all players' sleeves will look on the field. I think the replica sleeves are goofy, but am cautiously optimistic about what the authentics will look like over pads.

Actually, there's plenty of room to put the stripes on the sleeves if you simply start them just below the shoulder.

But that's clearly too easy.

Yea there's definitely enough room there.

The Steelers problem is the fact that there stripes are so damn big. And the Bears' are too spread out.

Even on Joe Thomas' sleeves, the stripes still don't look terrible. Atleast you can see all 5 of them.

joe-thomas-inside.jpgbrian-urlacher.jpg20070101pd_fbn_parker_foote_juboPJ_450.jpg

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

joe-thomas-inside.jpgbrian-urlacher.jpg20070101pd_fbn_parker_foote_juboPJ_450.jpg

IMO all of these jerseys look like complete crap. Its like they're taunting us with this tease of how good NFL uniforms were in the 60's.

What I don't understand is why more teams don't go the Chiefs / Dolphins (dark jersey) route. Go with a smaller stripe design and make it narrow enough to fit into a band at the very end of the jersey. The Redskins and Chiefs both do this and it gives them enough room for a stripe (small, but visible) and TV numbers on the sleeve (where they belong!!). The Niners could've easily put their stripes there (the Dolphins fit 7 stripes into theirs) and so could the Packers (an end of the sleeve band would match their collar stripes exactly). Its such a perfect solution.

Or better yet go like the Panthers and do the full UCLA style. THe 9ers could have fit three thin white strips perfectly on that template.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Or does anyone have the helmet design like the way they have it on the main site.

?

I don't follow you.

On the main site (Chris Creamer's Sports Logos) that has all the logos, I have been trying to find the updated logo and the updated helmet picture but it doesn't seem to have been updated. So I was wondering if anyone knew when the site was going to be updated to reflect the updated logo. Also the 49ers have a new stadium logo which hasn't been updated for about two years now.

Ah, I see now. Give it time - updates come slowly.

If you have the stadium logo, post it on this thread. You mean this one?

Candlesticklogo.jpg

Yea that is the one, I was just hoping it would be done already since I wanted tp update my five time super bowl picture I made, and I like having the helmet there.

IMO all of these jerseys look like complete crap. Its like they're taunting us with this tease of how good NFL uniforms were in the 60's.

What I don't understand is why more teams don't go the Chiefs / Dolphins (dark jersey) route. Go with a smaller stripe design and make it narrow enough to fit into a band at the very end of the jersey. The Redskins and Chiefs both do this and it gives them enough room for a stripe (small, but visible) and TV numbers on the sleeve (where they belong!!). The Niners could've easily put their stripes there (the Dolphins fit 7 stripes into theirs) and so could the Packers (an end of the sleeve band would match their collar stripes exactly). Its such a perfect solution.

Perfect? I think not....

Dolphins.jpg

Chiefs.jpg

Those get cut off too. Also, um, teams wouldn't look very unique, because in such a small area, it is hard to make your striping distinctive, especially when viewed on TV. It looks okay with a few teams doing it, but still far from perfect. We don't need more teams switching to sleeve cuff stripes.

MegatronSig2.jpg

You know, the Jags are getting a lot of guff (not saying they shouldnt) but this is the worst change in years. I hate it that Uniguy gave them a better grade. They arent even close. This is pure crap. No imagination at all. Thank god the Lions had a good change.

Archived