49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

I hope this is not the update the 49ers go with, because I feel that it is too old-fashioned and if a team is going to change their look, then looking towards the past is not the way to go. Hell, I have been begging for years for my team to upgrade, but yet they are still stuck in the 1950's.

Given a choice between "looking towards the past" and "stupid innovations for their own sake", I'll take the past any day.

If this is it, huge upgrade. Huge. They made the minor tweaks that should have been done to the old set (pant stripes thinned to match helmet) in the first place instead of the last re-design.

The only thing I would have done differently is keep the simple black drop-shadow numbers.

fantasy_g_young_412.jpg

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great. Now they're the KC Cheifs of the NFC West - black on the helmet logo, but nowhere else. That logo just does NOT belong on a helmet with a unnecessarilly-gray facemask.

Just like the Jags - why mess with (near) perfection? I hope that all you guys that love this change (and you're certainly entitled to love it) go out and buy a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, and a Members Only jacket. Drink some Tang while you're at it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When will you all learn that gray facemasks rule over all?

:D

I don't like keeping the modern logo with the black oval in it. A black outline is all that is needed.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Nah, I'll just jump in my 1966 Mustang ragtop with a bottle of Coca-Cola, thanks.

Classics are classics. :D

Why don't they still make the 1966 Mustang ragtop?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nah, I'll just jump in my 1966 Mustang ragtop with a bottle of Coca-Cola, thanks.

Classics are classics. :D

Why don't they still make the 1966 Mustang ragtop?

Because it's 2009. :P

(Although if the heads at Ford are to be believed, a hardtop drop version is soon to come...)

EDIT: check that...hardtop plans were scrapped some time ago. There still might be a droptop somewhere down the pipeline, however...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Chicago Bears' uniforms are the 1966 Mustang.

The 49ers' old uniforms are the 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.

I fail to see how the now former uniforms could be called "modern". Because they had some black? Because they had a drop shadow? IMO, once they brought back the gold pants, those uniforms became classic too.

This is truly a case of a good uniform being done away with because it's associated with a lousy team.

here is the predicted set

2009_49ers_HomeAway_Uni.png

Pants_Sox_Cleats.png

Crapola. Grey face mask for the sake of appearing "old school," uninspired, mismatching stripes, with the newer logo. Their current uniforms are heads and shoulders above this.

Ditto!!

KISSwall09.jpg

The Chicago Bears' uniforms are the 1966 Mustang.

The 49ers' old uniforms are the 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.

Ah, the Bears' uniforms are more like a 49 Pontiac Silver Streak, with a couple modern add-ons. A classic uniform from the 1940s that never really needed to be changed - looked good then, looks good now.

I stand by the 49ers as a 1966 Mustang - the design comes from about the right era, and it was needlessly tweaked by subsequent designers until it was drained of all its essential character and became a shell of itself.

I fail to see how the now former uniforms could be called "modern". Because they had some black? Because they had a drop shadow? IMO, once they brought back the gold pants, those uniforms became classic too.

This is truly a case of a good uniform being done away with because it's associated with a lousy team.

IIRC, didn't the 49ers have some decent years in the now former unis? I know they went to the NFC championship game once in them.

To me, the 49ers are like if the baby and the bathwater were conjoined twins. It seems that you can't take the best from the old(no shadows, full sleeve stripes) and the new (darker red, more gold), you have to have eithier set. Why can't there be some compromise of sorts with the elements of both?

I like the new set, though to be fair, I'm a big fan of the 80s look.

With that said, this new uniform looks like one of the sets in Madden where EA Sports tries to do a throwback uniform, but the artists forget to put the throwback logo on the helmet.

Except this is real life.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I applaud San Fransisco for being the first NFL team to go for a De-Modernization since the Giants. I dunno about that grey facemask tho...how set in stone is that development? I think a red facemask would do the trick.

don't forget Cleveland and the NY Jets for demodernizing

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Archived