49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When will you all learn that gray facemasks rule over all?

:D

Two words: Arizona Cardinals.

My redbirds would be better off, like the 49ers, with a different fase mask color.

What's with all the hatin' on grey facemasks?

Grey facemasks are great---especially for a team like the Niners, and especially in a "traditional" uniform template.

What's really ugly is the red facemask they currently have. The facemask itself is a piece of equipment and I think it's OK--ahem, it's great--when it stays a neutral color.

Jesus Christ are those the Giants road uniforms?

It does look like them, except:

• The 3 red stripes on the Giants road jersey are "Northwestern" stripes; the 3 red stripes on the 49ers road jerseys are the same size
  • The Giants road jersey have the "ny" under the collar; the 49ers road jersey has "49ERS" under the collar

Then again, I think the Giants should change their road jerseys to avoid confusion with the Niners "new" road jerseys.

YOZXkBG.png?1

When will you all learn that gray facemasks rule over all?

:D

Two words: Arizona Cardinals.

My redbirds would be better off, like the 49ers, with a different fase mask color.

What's with all the hatin' on grey facemasks?

Grey facemasks are great---especially for a team like the Niners, and especially in a "traditional" uniform template

There are a lot of examples of grey facemasks being a proverbial sore thumb.

USC & UCLA are my cases.

Couldn't disagree with you more about USC - a cardinal facemask would look silly, and yellow's better not even contemplated.

Gray works beautifully with their throwback scheme.

USC wore a cardinal face mask for a number of years with their previous set, and I thought it looked fine. That being said, the current 60s-inspired set is superior overall, IMHO.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

There does seem to be a lot of worry about a grey facemask that hasn't been released yet. When are the 49ers new outfits officially released?

I think the new outfits were released in 1978.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If grey isn't elsewhere in a uniform, then it has no part being the color of the facemask.

No amount of rationalizing will change that.

Here's my rationalization...

Sometimes (SOMETIMES!) I just like it gray.

No other rationalizing needed.

And sometimes teams just like solid black pants atop their black socks. Doesn't make it any less ugly or stupid, though.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If grey isn't elsewhere in a uniform, then it has no part being the color of the facemask.

And sometimes teams just like solid black pants atop their black socks. Doesn't make it any less ugly or stupid, though.

Perfectly said.

Adding grey facemasks just for the sake of trying to look like you're from 1960 is as artificial as a suburbanite gangster rapper.

Perfectly said.

Adding grey facemasks just for the sake of trying to look like you're from 1960 is as artificial as a suburbanite gangster rapper.

newsmalibusmostwanted1.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Madden 10 Wii screenshot...

49ersleaked.jpg

I was about to put that in... It looks almost the same as the throwbacks - but I'm seeing white shoes???? Regarding this uniform set - the classic 49ers and Cowboys set (white jersey) were both introduced in 1964. In fact, the original Cowboys uniform in 1964 also had three stripes on the sleeves - but with the number on the shoulder pads. The 49ers and Cowboys share the same template - but over a period of time a slight change in the Cowboys set (3 to 2 stripes).

Where is the uniform design rulebook which says that the facemask has to match a color on another part of the uni. Answer - There is no such thing as a uniform design rulebook. IT DOESN'T EXIST.

There is also no rule for other parts of the helmet. i.e. "I hate the black on the Chiefs helmet because it doesn't match the rest of the uni." WHO CARES. Professional uniforms are not like garanimals where the underwear has to match the undershirt.

The 49ers helmet with the grey facemask to me looks incredible. It represents and makes you think of the glory days. It's fashion. There are no right or wrong answers. Only personal taste.

Everyone loves a roundel.

Archived