49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already miss the "old" ones.

I don't mind the gray facemask, one color numbers, or the 49ers wordmark on the front. Even though I think it's subpar to the "old west" 49ers wordmark.

BUT I HATE THOSE SLEEVE STRIPES. What were they thinking?!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Here's a comparisson with the New York Giants road uniform. They do have their own distinguished traits.

p5898918dt.jpgp1490436dt.jpg

Looking at that picture of the players wearing the new uniform, its obviously an upgrade. Its the on-field / authentic version that counts.

But, this replica version is just weird! Why do it? If they'd just put the normal three stripes on the replica and styled the authentic sleeves exactly as they have, who would've even noticed? The on-field version of any team with sleeve stripes generally looks different from the replica.

I don't know whether to laugh at them for putting these weird stripes on the replica, or admire them for addressing what most teams just ignore.

After seeing the actual unveiling, it isn't as bad as I thought. The colors are actually a lot better. Everything else that I said before stands about the gray facemask, black on the helmet, and no gold on the jerseys. But the colors make up for that where I would say it's not a downgrade. More of a lateral move, improving the colors but making the design a little worse.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

From "back here", if you will, they look just fine.

But upon a closer examination, they're just crap.

The solution to the sleeve stripes was not to make a bad design that totally conforms to the shorter cuts. Rather, they should have looked at what the real situation. That situation being that 2 stripes show up solidly on the sleeves, and the bottom one generally gets cut off. BUT, there's a decent amount of room above the top stripe.

So, do you move them down? No sir. Move them up, and they'd all three fit.

sp_49ers_0004_db.jpg

Look at that... stick those suckers right under the Reebok logo and they'd all fit. What they ended up doing is stupid.

Further, the red stripes against the gold don't pop at all, and never did. The look was never great. And the grey mask was just a stupid, stupid decision. It not only has no place in their scheme, it looks so bad on the gold helmet.

Grow up, 49ers.

Not too shabby. Props to CCSLC's own Ben Barnes, his wordmark finally made it onto the unis. They were already in their end zones, but they look great on the unis too. Not a bad update. Better than the Jags' for sure. I, for one, am a fan of the Lions' update, minus the mane swishes. Good job for the Niners though.

So they wore throwbacks, loved them so much they wore them as much as they could, and then made a new uniform based on them the next year?

What is this, 1994?

sf-v-no.jpg

Boo to the new duds. Those sleeve stripes are laughable, but I'm also glad the sweet wordmark finally made it on the uni.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Colorwerx says the gold pants are carried over from the previous set along with the SF helmet logo. The template illustration in the middle isn't accurate.

Look at the second picture from the unveiling...the new gold pants are different than the previous set. Th e template looks pretty accurate to me based off the pictures.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Really, all these need are white facemasks. I think those would look sweet given the white middle stripe on the helmet.

CW, any news about the logo? Is it the classic Montana-era logo or a recoloured version of the updated logo?

whitefacemask.jpg

Nope sorry not doing it for me, every time i see white facemasks i think Kansas City (or Amsterdam Admirals).

Sure grey doesn't appear in the colour scheme but it has significance because it was part of the old school look that the new uni's are based on. Plus there is also the added benefit that as a functioning or rather disfuntioning piece of equipment as it obscures the wearers view the facemask is now a neutral colour and less of an issue to the wearer.

Sometimes design has to break the rules rather than blindly sticking to colour charts and corporate guidelines, if all you ever had to do was follow guidelines then anyone could do it and i think everyone here would agree that that is not the case.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived