49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they re-adopt the throwback look (and I hope they don't,) I'm guessing that, at the very least, we're going to see the sleeve numbers bumped up to the shoulders. Maybe the sock stripes take a hike, too.

I really hope the '80s look isn't coming back. That's just a case of an excellent team in subpar uniforms. Plus, it would be another undeserved victory for the gray facemask crowd.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Regardless of what the Niners decide to do with the new unis, I think we can all agree that this needs to come back!...

sf_script.gif

Couldn't agree more. I have no idea why they went away from this wordmark, but it needs to come back asap....

Didn't someone on this board contribute to the new one? And even provided an explanation of why the changes were made (i.e. the script matches the helmet SF and so on). Personally, I like the new one. The old one, while classic, feels today like something you'd run across while playing with fonts on your old PowerMac's Quark.

At any rate, I'd be curious to hear from that designer again.

I think the throwback style uniforms are in good accordance with the old-style coaching Mike Singletary will bring to the table next year.

Please, no more throwback uniforms. Enough, is enough.

The current 49ers uniforms were fine. Its the rest of the organization, that is a cluster-you-know-what.

"Championship colors"? You mean red jerseys and beige pants? Yes, those were sure snazzy duds. :D They couldn't be that stupid, to go back to BEIGE pants, could they? They looked stupid, in the 80's, let alone now.

With Singletary's pathetic coaching staff he has assembled (worst pair of coordinators in the league), and still no QB who can win big, that franchise is going nowhere, no matter how "old-style" Iron Mike tries to be (see Ditka, Mike in New Orleans for reference).

"No more throwback uniforms"? Which throwback uniforms? You've made it clear you hate all throwbacks, but with the exception of (maybe) the Giants, what team has gone throwback for their non-alt uni? The last few teams to change their regular uniform... Vikings, Cards, Bengals, Falcon, Chargers, Bills... have given you plenty of those God-awlful non-throwback modern designs you seem to love. If the 49ers go throwback for a full time uni, they'll be pretty much the first. You can say you won't like it, but you can't say "no more throwbacks, please" like it happens all the time. It doesn't.

If they want to revert to the Jurassic jerseys, that's their prerogative, but to jam grey facemasks on the helmet is not only trite, but also just bad design.

Disagree. The gray facemasks look great with the Niners traditional uniforms.

...but i also believe most, if not all, teams should have gray facemasks, so take that with a grain of salt.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Regardless of what the Niners decide to do with the new unis, I think we can all agree that this needs to come back!...

sf_script.gif

Couldn't agree more. I have no idea why they went away from this wordmark, but it needs to come back asap....

Preach. This wordmark should be incorporated.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I think Mike the mghelmets.com guy is on to something with this concept. Pretty cool. Maybe just keep the current letter style but superimpose it like this over the pick?

49ers-concpt.gif

I'm always in favor of a physical representation of the nickname. I think they should use a pick somewhere, at least as a secondary.

If they want to revert to the Jurassic jerseys, that's their prerogative, but to jam grey facemasks on the helmet is not only trite, but also just bad design.

Disagree. The gray facemasks look great with the Niners traditional uniforms.

...but i also believe most, if not all, teams should have gray facemasks, so take that with a grain of salt.

Hoenstly, the 49ers and Cardinals shouldn't have grey fasemasks. Grey clashes with the rest of the helmet and uniforms.

But that's just me.

sf_script.gif

Didn't someone on this board contribute to the new one?

At any rate, I'd be curious to hear from that designer again.

I wanna say it was barnesdesign -- I could be wrong though.

6uXNWAo.png

I think the throwback style uniforms are in good accordance with the old-style coaching Mike Singletary will bring to the table next year.

Please, no more throwback uniforms. Enough, is enough.

The current 49ers uniforms were fine. Its the rest of the organization, that is a cluster-you-know-what.

"Championship colors"? You mean red jerseys and beige pants? Yes, those were sure snazzy duds. :D They couldn't be that stupid, to go back to BEIGE pants, could they? They looked stupid, in the 80's, let alone now.

With Singletary's pathetic coaching staff he has assembled (worst pair of coordinators in the league), and still no QB who can win big, that franchise is going nowhere, no matter how "old-style" Iron Mike tries to be (see Ditka, Mike in New Orleans for reference).

"No more throwback uniforms"? Which throwback uniforms? You've made it clear you hate all throwbacks, but with the exception of (maybe) the Giants, what team has gone throwback for their non-alt uni? The last few teams to change their regular uniform... Vikings, Cards, Bengals, Falcon, Chargers, Bills... have given you plenty of those God-awlful non-throwback modern designs you seem to love. If the 49ers go throwback for a full time uni, they'll be pretty much the first. You can say you won't like it, but you can't say "no more throwbacks, please" like it happens all the time. It doesn't.

The Jets did too. But with the New York teams, the throwbacks were better than what they had. With the Niners, it's not so much the case. I think they should go the rout of a "modern classic" (see Detroit Pistons, or Seattle SuperSonics). Keep the new gold, use the old red, use a tertiary color that isn't black. The Niners throwbacks need to stay in the 80s. Those beige pants are absolutely awful.

Also, I don't think he was only referring to non-alt throwbacks. Where the trend is out of hand is the alternate throwback, some of which are faux-backs, which are purely ridiculous IMO.

Judging by Andy Dolich's remarks in the Q&A section on Monday (49ers website)... Don't be surprised if the "championship colors" will return... Hint: It will be the old 49er uniform set of bright red jerseys and sand/gold/khaki pants... And also another hint was from last year when Jed York answered regarding bringing back the old set that today's players wear their uniforms differently than from 20 -25 years ago... (tighter jerseys, lack of sleeves). Therefore if anyone has photoshop - I believe the look will be like this...

Helmet - The same as it was during the Walsh/Montana/Young years; Jerseys - Bright red like before, but the TV numbers moved to the shoulder pads and the three stripes moved up the sleeve (Browns style) - single color numbers and trim like before; Pants - same color as the classic look - but the striping now standard sized (see Packers, Cowboys) rather than ultra wide; Socks - No candystriped socks - but the solid ones worn in the 1992-93 and 95 seasons. Shoes - probably a return to white.

Archived