49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

So they wore throwbacks, loved them so much they wore them as much as they could, and then made a new uniform based on them the next year?

What is this, 1994?

sf-v-no.jpg

Boo to the new duds. Those sleeve stripes are laughable, but I'm also glad the sweet wordmark finally made it on the uni.

You had to tease me with those perfect Saints unis... B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing the new uniforms with pads makes the slanted stripes not so horrible. I agree with Stl. Fanatic that moving the stripes up on the sleeve would be a better option. The uniforms have a basic look to it, which I'm okay with aesthetically. The only thing I'm not pleased is the use of the gray facemask. Red just looks so much better.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I'm going to put up all of the official graphics on my blog later, but here's a retrospective of sorts for the 49ers, and their various helmet changes since around 1980. These are all official helmet graphics, using official Pantone colors, and I've done my "color-optimization"-thing on them:

Circa 1980 through 1995:

SanFrancisco49ers_RHS_1980-1995.png

The true throwback colors.

1996 through 2001:

SanFrancisco49ers_RHS_1996-2001.png

The Niners ticked me off by duplicating my teams' - the Arizona Cardinals - exact shade of Cardinal Red.

2002 through 2004:

SanFrancisco49ers_RHS_2002-2004.png

They darkened the Cardinal to almost Maroon. Note the change in the Gold as well.

2005 through 2008:

SanFrancisco49ers_RHS_2005-2008.png

Cardinal lightened slightly.

I thought I'd also take this opportunity to compare the helmet that the Niners used as their "Classic" uniforms, compared to the actual helmets used in the past:

"Classic" Throwback helmet (2002 through 2008):

SanFrancisco49ers_RHSClassic_2002-2.png

Circa 1980 through 1995:

From "back here", if you will, they look just fine.

But upon a closer examination, they're just crap.

Further, the red stripes against the gold don't pop at all, and never did. The look was never great. And the grey mask was just a stupid, stupid decision. It not only has no place in their scheme, it looks so bad on the gold helmet.

Grow up, 49ers.

"Grow up, 49ers"?? Seriously?

Whateru, their dad?

As an aside... is anyone else tired of "pop"?

I thought I'd also take this opportunity to compare the helmet that the Niners used as their "Classic" uniforms, compared to the actual helmets used in the past:

"Classic" Throwback helmet (2002 through 2008):

SanFrancisco49ers_RHSClassic_2002-2.png

Circa 1980 through 1995:

Close enough, they didn't split the F to accommodate the S and add the black keyline to the letters until 1989 i think it was (first appeared in the endzone of the Superbowl Jan 89 against Bengals and was used on helmets following september if memory serves me right) but i'm sure you're spot on about the colours... you always are!

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Only when Northeners mistakenly believe that it's an acceptable alternative to soda.

Actually, pop is pretty much the only thing to call pop. Why do southerners call all pop "coke", whatever brand it is?

I think that stereotype must apply to older generations, because growing up in the South, I've never really noticed it. We don't really say soda, and definitely not pop, but usually just refer to them by whatever brand they are. Although if I'm in a restaurant and order Coke, I don't really care if they bring Pepsi instead.

Here's what I don't get. I've said it over and over. I've said it about USC, UCLA, the Cards, the Colts, the Browns, the 9ers. Why the gray mask? People say "it's just equipment" Yes, but your equipment is part of your colors. There is no gray in any these sets. Gray came out first as a protection, not for looks. When the technology came out, people made their unis totally fit. So I guess players could wear any color shoes, gloves, etc. It's just equipment, right? I'm sorry. It looks bad. It looks dated. It doesn't fit. These unis in particular do not combine the sets. They bring back the out of place stuff. Now there's black and gray on the helmet and nowhere else. These guys are professionals, they should look like it. Just because you watched them play in these in the 80's won't bring back those glory days. It only brings back the bad styles. You can't really tell me that this set is better than their previous set. That's the way I feel and there is NOTHING that can change my feelings on this.

KISSwall09.jpg

ESPN.com has a mock-up done in Madden up of the first round draft picks in their new uniforms. There are a ton of goofs, like the Lions having their old helmet/pants stripes and the Broncos wearing the wrong pants with their home jerseys. But one of the goofs is that the 49ers new uniforms still has a red facemask. And it looks terrific.

http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/featu...861&game=10

ESPN.com has a mock-up done in Madden up of the first round draft picks in their new uniforms. There are a ton of goofs, like the Lions having their old helmet/pants stripes and the Broncos wearing the wrong pants with their home jerseys. But one of the goofs is that the 49ers new uniforms still has a red facemask. And it looks terrific.

http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/featu...861&game=10

Ya some of those goofs are awful. They added front numbers on to so many teams that never had them, and why do stafford and freeman have such weird facemasks?? lol freeman looks like a lineman or something...

From "back here", if you will, they look just fine.

But upon a closer examination, they're just crap.

Further, the red stripes against the gold don't pop at all, and never did. The look was never great. And the grey mask was just a stupid, stupid decision. It not only has no place in their scheme, it looks so bad on the gold helmet.

Grow up, 49ers.

"Grow up, 49ers"?? Seriously?

Whateru, their dad?

I sure am tired of the term "pop" in reference to uniforms, when the uniforms don't even need a "pop". I'm also tired of the grey facemask hate. I know this is the wrong place to say it, but it's just a freaking facemask. I don't see how it ruins the whole set for someone.

What's comical is how they COMPLETELY goofed up the Broncos' uniforms. Really--pairing the ROAD pants with the HOME jersey? REALLY? What is this, the HBCU football level? ^_^ (Kind of a bad dig, but you get my point.)

Also, Crabtree's sleeve stripes...what is going on with those?

And...after seeing that Jaguars player mockup, I am thoroughly and COMPLETELY convinced someone in the Jagiwar braintrust fell in love with the Patriots numberal set and simply "doctored" them for the Jaguars. (Didn't Weaver mention that the best teams have identifiable uniforms? maybe he believes that ripping off the Patriots' numbers will help the Jagiwars win like them too! <_< ) Either way it goes, in that mockup, they look almost EXACTLY like the Patriots.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Close enough, they didn't split the F to accommodate the S and add the black keyline to the letters until 1989 i think it was (first appeared in the endzone of the Superbowl Jan 89 against Bengals and was used on helmets following september if memory serves me right) but i'm sure you're spot on about the colours... you always are!

9erssteve

True regarding the 'SF' graphic. I'll change the dates on those graphics. Thanks.

Only when Northeners mistakenly believe that it's an acceptable alternative to soda.

Actually, pop is pretty much the only thing to call pop. Why do southerners call all pop "coke", whatever brand it is?

Because people in the south are awesome. Really, though, it's probably because coca cola is based in the south.

Does anyone have a good pic of the pants of the 49ers? Maybe I'm just missing something but I haven't seen the side view/striping. Are they tapered like the arms?

Archived