49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

At least this little creature doesn't have to worry about those crazy stripes on the sleeves. This creature definitely has the updated look (colors may be off slightly) - all it needs is a SF logo slapped on. The only creature in the animal kingdom that has corresponding NFL helmet stripes other than of course, the Bengals (Tigers).

http://www.biopix.com/Species.asp?Searchte...gory=Arthropoda

Note: The pattern on the shrimp if head on is "red/white/red." Found a lead from uniwatchblog and did research on this bizarre "niners" shrimp - it is a Pacific White-Striped Cleaner Shrimp.

Maybe Pantone 186 or 187? Metallic Curry Gold of another shade?

That just gave me a great idea for a Skunks concept.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Once it's on the player and his arm is down, it looks like there are three stripes," director of marketing Michael Williams said.

Umm, no it doesn't. It looks like a complete mess.

A complete mess... really.

Have you looked around the NFL lately?

And THIS is what you call a "complete mess"?

I for one like the new uniform and think going back to the traditional look is a good thing. At first when I saw it I thought it went all the way around but when I got mine I say it didn't, but I really don't care.

On another note anyone know when the main site is going to be updated with the new color in the logo and the helmet design. Or does anyone have the helmet design like the way they have it on the main site.

i still don't understand why they can't just use 3 real stripes, instead of some funky failed optical illusion.

Because there simply isn't enough room on all the players' sleeves for five stripes (three white, two red of the same thickness). We see this on the Bears, we see it on the Browns, we see it on the Steelers - they get cut off when players cut their cap sleeves.

The 49ers are simply bowing to reality, trying to standardize the way that all players' sleeves will look on the field. I think the replica sleeves are goofy, but am cautiously optimistic about what the authentics will look like over pads.

but this picture looks absolutely fine to me.

willisx-large.jpg

i still don't understand why they can't just use 3 real stripes, instead of some funky failed optical illusion.

Because there simply isn't enough room on all the players' sleeves for five stripes (three white, two red of the same thickness). We see this on the Bears, we see it on the Browns, we see it on the Steelers - they get cut off when players cut their cap sleeves.

The 49ers are simply bowing to reality, trying to standardize the way that all players' sleeves will look on the field. I think the replica sleeves are goofy, but am cautiously optimistic about what the authentics will look like over pads.

but this picture looks absolutely fine to me.

willisx-large.jpg

Yeah but the thing is the actual construction of the jersey has changed as well as the colours. The panels that make it up have changed shape and the sleeves are even smaller now than they were last year. The Jags are using these new jerseys as well and they now have nothing on the sleeves as the jerseys are tailored even tighter than previous years to prevent holding. There is no way they could have fit the three hoops the TV number and the reebok logo, and make no mistake i think Reebok were upset that their logo was "hidden" within the hoops on the throwbacks the last few years. Look at how much clear space there is round it on ALL the other uniforms, there is now that same amount of space on the new 9ers unis too. Never under estimate the power of corporations to influence design!

Moving the TV numbers to the shoulders was a given, as soon as the words "inspired by the traditional uniforms" were used you knew that was the change that was going to stop them being the classic throwbacks and we all knew the reasons, sleeves have been getting shorter for years, it's that simple.

Sure it seems a bit strange to have the stripes cut off the way they do but the truth is it's been happening for years now anyway, all they have done now is do it by design in order to make sure that all the jerseys match rather than by accident and have mismatched shirts, that range from having three hoops to NONE. Sure it looks a little weird on the replicas but it's not the worst way they could have solved the issue so i'm not loosing a great deal of sleep over it.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Sure it seems a bit strange to have the stripes cut off the way they do but the truth is it's been happening for years now anyway, all they have done now is do it by design in order to make sure that all the jerseys match rather than by accident and have mismatched shirts, that range from having three hoops to NONE. Sure it looks a little weird on the replicas but it's not the worst way they could have solved the issue so i'm not loosing a great deal of sleep over it.

Yep, that's exactly what I was trying to say. You said it much better.

Yep, that's exactly what I was trying to say. You said it much better.

This much would be true, if they had put the stripes up higher, starting at the seam where the sleeve meets the shoulder. But with the stripes in their current placement, you're going to see most players sporting only one or two stripes, anyway. Hopefully, Reebok will adjust the position of the striping to avoid that.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

We'll see. They seem to have taken that into consideration, that all players will be showing at least some of the three stripes.

Moving the stripes ever higher on the sleeve isn't a really great solution, either:

520x.jpg

That's the problem with having sleeve stripes at all. If a team is to include them, they have to get creative. This has the potential to be a truly inspired solution - we'll see what they look like when they take the field.

Actually, there's plenty of room to put the stripes on the sleeves if you simply start them just below the shoulder.

But that's clearly too easy.

"Once it's on the player and his arm is down, it looks like there are three stripes," director of marketing Michael Williams said.

Umm, no it doesn't. It looks like a complete mess.

A complete mess... really.

Have you looked around the NFL lately?

And THIS is what you call a "complete mess"?

I'm not calling the uniforms a complete mess, just that striping. I like the uniforms as a whole, but the stripes look awful.

Actually, there's plenty of room to put the stripes on the sleeves if you simply start them just below the shoulder.

On the old jersey cuts, maybe. But not on the new ones, which the Giants have been wearing:

520x.jpg

Look at the shoulder seams - if you put a stripe "just below the shoulder" then it'll be just a few inches long and barely wrap. It'd be a short line, not a stripe.

brandon-jacobs-415x275.jpg

Heck, look at this shot - the Northwestern stripes run so far into the shoulder seam that the top stripe appears to be missing altogether!

jacobs1.jpg

jacobs.jpg

There just isn't enough real estate to have full sleeve stripes on the new high-tech skin-tight jerseys. So it comes down to which of the stripes you want to have truncated. The Giants have decided that they'd rather cut off the top stripe. The 49ers have chosen to truncate the lower ones.

Over pads, I think the Niners' solution is the better one, giving more of an illusion of unbroken stripes. But again, I'm reserving judgment until we see them on the field in game conditions.

Or does anyone have the helmet design like the way they have it on the main site.

?

I don't follow you.

On the main site (Chris Creamer's Sports Logos) that has all the logos, I have been trying to find the updated logo and the updated helmet picture but it doesn't seem to have been updated. So I was wondering if anyone knew when the site was going to be updated to reflect the updated logo. Also the 49ers have a new stadium logo which hasn't been updated for about two years now.

It's not trying to trick you by being an optical illusion. It's just a good way of fitting three stripes on today's jersey. This feature is going to grow on people, not everybody, but it will.

going with a thinner stripe on the side of the leg that is less restrictive.

I'm sorry but that's just complete and total BS. How in the world would the width of a pants stripe be restrictive? Thats like saying a team is more aerodynamic this season than last because their helmet stripe is thinner.

Read anything about the throwback uniforms the Niners had been wearing twice a year for the past couple years. Obviously, the pant stripe is a different, heavier material than the pant itself, and the ridiculously wide red-white-red stripe was causing mobility problems. They fixed that by making the stripes thinner on the new uniform. How is that BS?

Or does anyone have the helmet design like the way they have it on the main site.

?

I don't follow you.

On the main site (Chris Creamer's Sports Logos) that has all the logos, I have been trying to find the updated logo and the updated helmet picture but it doesn't seem to have been updated. So I was wondering if anyone knew when the site was going to be updated to reflect the updated logo. Also the 49ers have a new stadium logo which hasn't been updated for about two years now.

Ah, I see now. Give it time - updates come slowly.

If you have the stadium logo, post it on this thread. You mean this one?

Candlesticklogo.jpg

On the old jersey cuts, maybe. But not on the new ones, which the Giants have been wearing:

520x.jpg

Look at the shoulder seams - if you put a stripe "just below the shoulder" then it'll be just a few inches long and barely wrap. It'd be a short line, not a stripe.

brandon-jacobs-415x275.jpg

Heck, look at this shot - the Northwestern stripes run so far into the shoulder seam that the top stripe appears to be missing altogether!

jacobs1.jpg

jacobs.jpg

There just isn't enough real estate to have full sleeve stripes on the new high-tech skin-tight jerseys. So it comes down to which of the stripes you want to have truncated. The Giants have decided that they'd rather cut off the top stripe. The 49ers have chosen to truncate the lower ones.

Over pads, I think the Niners' solution is the better one, giving more of an illusion of unbroken stripes. But again, I'm reserving judgment until we see them on the field in game conditions.

Wow... those Giants jerseys look bad. Given the new jersey cuts, i'm not sure why any team is still trying to cram a stripe on a sleeve. Are all the teams going to this new cut? I thought I read something to that effect. If so, it'll be interesting to see Pittsburgh, or the Bears who still have stripes PLUS TV numbers on the sleeve.

Kinda sad for those folks here who have been asking for the return of sleeves on football jerseys... looks like the opposite is happening. Even LESS sleeves are actually being mandated.

Your point is well take and well made, but obviously the 49ers stripes don't take up as much vertical real estate as the Giants do.

Seems to me that you could start the Niners stripes right about where the Giants thick stripe starts and fit the Niners stripes in just fine.

I can't see any way that looking at the player from the side and seeing a single stripe is a better option than that, but the 49ers seem to think so.

I also wonder separately, why doesn't the NFL just start selling replicas with shorter sleeves? The NBA doesn't pretend it's jerseys have sleeves and sell them as T-Shirts. Isn't it time for the NFL to recognize that it's jersey is no longer just a t-shirt and start selling it's replicas a little more life-like?

There's still no good reason for the replica jerseys to have the same stripe treatment as the on-field ones. Hell - there's no reason for the "retail" "authentics" to have that stripe treatment either. It should be reserved for the ones that are made for the field.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I definitely agree that the 49ers uni is one that can't finally be judged until its seen in game action. I think though its going to look ok.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Even if the 49ers' stripes required as much room as the Giants' stripes (which they don't), I think the Giants' solution, (moving the stripes up), which admittedly is not perfect, is still FAR preferable to what the 49ers did.

Archived