49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

What is the deal with the player names on the uniforms?

Seriously, it looks like they took the uniforms to some cheap place on the corner and got the names sewn on 45 minutes before the game started.

That really hurts the overall uniform. Just very cheap-looking.

And the grey facemask just is completely out-of-place. Have no idea why its even there. A red facemask would look 1000 times better.

As a commentator on ESPN said yesterday (as the Mets weekend abominations were being shown)...."ENOUGH WITH THE THROWBACKS ALREADY!!!". I agree. Throwbacks are played out.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looks like a mess

sf.jpg

The worst part of that picture is that the players are illegally wearing their socks too low. With all the other things the NFL hammers guys about, they need to start on the socks. Each player should be fined for stepping on the field like that. Other than that, the stripes are horrible, but overall the look is great. I could live with the pants this year (it's and improvement over the previous look), but I would like to see them switch to metallic next year.

The only problem is, I don't know how well they can match the pants to the helmet. The material of the pants last year wasn't right. The gold looked very different from the helmet when the pants were wet. Maybe they couldn't get the golds to match correctly, so they decided to go back to the khaki look.

Regarding the pants: Colorwerx says it's the same gold from the previous set transferred to this set, but he says he can't speak for the fabric though. Maybe a different type of fabric being used?

What are they using for names on the back? Isn't it the same varsity serif as Dallas?

I don't mind the new uniforms, by the way. It's not perfect, but nothing will be perfect in a league where everyone dresses like a slob. Best you can do is not have superfluous black trim and drop-shadows, I suppose.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hmm. Little bolder. I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe I'm just jaded with NFL uniforms since nobody can properly dress themselves anymore. At least the 49ers' new stuff is monochrome-proofed so as to protect the team from themselves.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hmm. Little bolder. I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe I'm just jaded with NFL uniforms since nobody can properly dress themselves anymore. At least the 49ers' new stuff is monochrome-proofed so as to protect the team from themselves.

Since you brought it up, for a league often positioned as being so rigid and uniform, the overall look really is slovenly, isn't it? Like, Manny-Ramirez-and-Prince-Fielder-had-a-baby slovenly. There's a chance a lot of the teams in the league would look better if the players simply knew how to dress themselves.

Also, watching the Broncos in action really makes me realize how forward-thinking Nike was back in '97. One of the best looks for the current fit of uniforms out there. Oh, and news flash: Kyle Orton still sucks.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In Madden 10, when you go through the uniform choices for the 49ers, you'll come across an all white away set. Yes, apparently the white pants are back after that one season only deal back in 97.

The 49ers wore the white pants in both 1996 and 1997. Their last game in the 1996 season was the mud bowl playoff game at Lambeau. Their last game in the 1997 season was in the rain (I believe) against the Packers again, this time at Candlestick. The gold pants made their (previously unannounced) debut in the '98 season opener.

Packers-2.png

Previous fabric/textile colors:

SanFrancisco49ers_FRC_2008_TEX_SRGB.png

...vs. current fabric/textile colors:

SanFrancisco49ers_FRC_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

Therefore they are wearing the same gold pants with new trim. It looks different because the lighter red reduces the dark/light contrast with the gold pants making the pants seem darker. Also the new stripes on the pants "pop" out a little more than last year's trim. As before, it's a combination look of the throwback and last year's set - retaining features of both - whereas the 2008 uniform was a combination look of the 1994 throwbacks and the classic look.

As far as I can tell from my Niners jerseys (including a Jason Webster throwback gamer from '02) the name font is spot-on, except it seems to be a little shorter.

That said, I agree that it looks a little cheap.

I think the shorter font is a product of these new style jerseys. Funny you bring that up, because I remember last season when some of the Giants players were prototyping them on the road, I remember thinking that the letters on the names looked a little smaller.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I feel sad to live in a world where these "new" 49ers uniforms are considered superior to last year's model.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Uniform looks great.

Looks like a football uniform, not a Jackson Pollock painting, which many modern uniforms resemble.

Were the 49ers uniforms from last year awful? No.

However, these are clearly superior.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The previous uniforms were a minor sleeve alteration away from being perfect.

These feature an unnecessary stripe gimmick, BFBS on the logo (doesn't match anywhere else), and an contrived-throwback gray facemask. Fix those things, and it's a nice looking uniform... but still not superior to the previous set.

The previous set made excellent use of black from head to toe, had a better shade of red (though I can see where this is debatable), had the throwbackish drop shadow that looked fantastic in the modern application, and had the superior helmet of the two.

Only negative was the sleeves. The SF logo on the sleeve was totally unnecessary, and the stripes themselves didn't work well IMO. Had they lost one or the other, it'd have been a perfect uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The previous set made excellent use of black from head to toe, had a better shade of red (though I can see where this is debatable),

Um, every one of those statements is debatable.

That's the thing about opinions. :P

I only post facts.

The previous uniforms were a minor sleeve alteration away from being perfect.

These feature an unnecessary stripe gimmick, BFBS on the logo (doesn't match anywhere else), and an contrived-throwback gray facemask. Fix those things, and it's a nice looking uniform... but still not superior to the previous set.

The previous set made excellent use of black from head to toe, had a better shade of red (though I can see where this is debatable), had the throwbackish drop shadow that looked fantastic in the modern application, and had the superior helmet of the two.

Only negative was the sleeves. The SF logo on the sleeve was totally unnecessary, and the stripes themselves didn't work well IMO. Had they lost one or the other, it'd have been a perfect uniform.

I am in total agreement with this assessment.

The funny thing is that I've long thought that if the Niners absolutely HAD to have the "SF" monogram on the sleeves, they should have cut an oval shape out of the stripe group and stuck the monogram in the negative space created by the cutout.

Something like this:

===== ======

==== SF =====

===== ======

Very rough...but maybe you all can sorta see my idea. (And, the "SF" would obviously fill up more of the negative space.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The funny thing is that I've long thought that if the Niners absolutely HAD to have the "SF" monogram on the sleeves, they should have cut an oval shape out of the stripe group and stuck the monogram in the negative space created by the cutout.

Something like this:

===== ======

==== SF =====

===== ======

Very rough...but maybe you all can sorta see my idea. (And, the "SF" would obviously fill up more of the negative space.)

Something like this?

49ersinstripes.gif

Archived